Popcorn machine recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 475 Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! I am looking for any recommendations on a popcorn machine. I believe from my research my best option is going to be a Paragon Cineplex, but I wanted to get some opinions. It is just me, my wife, and 8 year old daughter so I think the 4 oz will be fine. However, I am open to any and all suggestions. Additionally, if anyone has a retailer they recommend for a good price and good service, I am all ears for that too! I appreciate the assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 475 Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any Paragon or BenchmarkUSA popcorn machines are quite good. If it is only 3 of you I would recommend 6 Oz kettle, but if you entertain a lot, then go with the 8 Oz kettle.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #3 of 475 Old 07-23-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Some 4oz poppers pop the same amount as 6oz ones.
The GM 4oz is supposed to pop more than a regular 4oz.
http://www.gmpopcorn.com/products/pr...n.cfm?pid=2231

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 475 Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

I just started using the 6oz prepackaged corn/oil instead of 4oz in my Gold Medal 4oz machine and it handles it no problem with very little unpopped kernels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 475 Old 07-23-2011, 02:14 PM

Liked: 11
I am thinking seriously about the maxi-matic EPM-300. It is an 8oz with warming deck with cart for less than a 4oz Gold Medal machine.

I know Gold Medal machines are great but the Maxi-matic has decent reviews and the money saved can be used elsewhere in my project. I am still on the fence but I'll be ordering a machine in a week or so and right now I am leaning towards the Maxi-matic.

Does anyone here have any opinions on Maxi-matic, either positive or negative?
post #6 of 475 Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I have looked at the Benchmark and Gold Medal poppers, but I am unfamiliar with their warranties. How do they compare to other machines?
post #7 of 475 Old 07-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am using an 8 oz nostalgia ccp600 that I picked up from sams. IMO it's the oil and the popcorn more than the machine itself?

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
post #8 of 475 Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Make sure you'll really use it. I love the popcorn from my popcorn machine. IMHO, it's so much better than microwave popcorn. I bought a case of popcorn that I really enjoy. I bought the little popcorn boxes. I didn't mind spending the money on the machine or supplies. My problem is that I got tired of cleaning the machine. We watch movies at night. Obviously, you want to make the popcorn so you have it right before the movie starts. Then you watch the movie, and then at 11 pm, midnight or 1 am, the movie is over and you're ready for bed. Do you want to clean the machine then? No, I'll do it in the morning. Well, I'll do it after I get the yardwork done. Since we're going to watch another movie tonight, I'll clean it tomorrow morning. And on weeknights, you're not going to clean it the next morning before work, and when you get home from work, you're tired.

My popper gets used primarily when we have company over to watch a movie, and that's not very ofter.

Put me back in time before I bought my popper, and I'd still buy it. But before YOU buy one, think about exactly when you'll clean it and how often you'll be entertaining.

BTW, it's great to have for our kids' birthday parties.
post #9 of 475 Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks Peter. I am sure the popcorn machine will get a lot of use in my house. I am just trying to weigh the obvious benefits of a Paragon or Gold Medal vs the attractive price of an Elite or Great Northern.
post #10 of 475 Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Some Paragon machines have a limited lifetime warranty on the 4oz machines and three years on everything else. Gold medal is essentially 6 months on labor costs, two years on parts.

Randy Bowman
myHTseats.com
post #11 of 475 Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 AM

In case anyone was interested I just ordered the Gold Medal Funpop 4oz machine. I got a decent price of $238 for the machine without cart.

I was really tempted by the cheaper ones that are supposedly 8oz and they have mostly decent reviews but the Gold Medal is built like a tank and I would rather spend a little more for a quality unit.
post #12 of 475 Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsbrother View Post
In case anyone was interested I just ordered the Gold Medal Funpop 4oz machine. I got a decent price of $238 for the machine without cart.

I was really tempted by the cheaper ones that are supposedly 8oz and they have mostly decent reviews but the Gold Medal is built like a tank and I would rather spend a little more for a quality unit.
Care to share where you got that price? Also, how much more would the cart have cost you?
post #13 of 475 Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dood56 View Post

Care to share where you got that price? Also, how much more would the cart have cost you?

I got it at webstaurantstore.com. I placed the order at lunchtime on Monday and it was delivered the next day which was pretty amazing. I haven't opened it up yet because I've been too busy but at least the box is in good shape.

Cart is available for $149 and I plan on getting that for Christmas.
post #14 of 475 Old 08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

Make sure you'll really use it. I love the popcorn from my popcorn machine. IMHO, it's so much better than microwave popcorn. I bought a case of popcorn that I really enjoy. I bought the little popcorn boxes. I didn't mind spending the money on the machine or supplies. My problem is that I got tired of cleaning the machine. We watch movies at night. Obviously, you want to make the popcorn so you have it right before the movie starts. Then you watch the movie, and then at 11 pm, midnight or 1 am, the movie is over and you're ready for bed. Do you want to clean the machine then? No, I'll do it in the morning. Well, I'll do it after I get the yardwork done. Since we're going to watch another movie tonight, I'll clean it tomorrow morning. And on weeknights, you're not going to clean it the next morning before work, and when you get home from work, you're tired.

My popper gets used primarily when we have company over to watch a movie, and that's not very ofter.

Put me back in time before I bought my popper, and I'd still buy it. But before YOU buy one, think about exactly when you'll clean it and how often you'll be entertaining.

This is such a good post! And reason why I haven't bought one. I have so much stuff that I don't use, I'm a collector and I spend more time collecting than I do enjoying my collection of AV stuff! I use microwave and my stir crazy popper. Not knocking the real poppers, there is no substitute and I'd love to have one.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
post #15 of 475 Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 AM

PeterB123 must be an undercover wife.

lol

Thanks to AVS for helping me with my first home theater system!

Panasonic ST30, Klipsch RB-61 II, RC-42 II, Denon AVR-1611, dual Lava 10" subwoofers

post #16 of 475 Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I got it at webstaurantstore.com. I placed the order at lunchtime on Monday and it was delivered the next day which was pretty amazing. I haven't opened it up yet because I've been too busy but at least the box is in good shape.

Cart is available for $149 and I plan on getting that for Christmas.

Thanks for the help. Not sure if I am going to go that route or the Paragon route. I have to have a stand since I have nowhere else to place the machine. For an extra $50 I get a lifetime guarantee. In my mind it is worth the $50.
post #17 of 475 Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dood56 View Post

Thanks for the help. Not sure if I am going to go that route or the Paragon route. I have to have a stand since I have nowhere else to place the machine. For an extra $50 I get a lifetime guarantee. In my mind it is worth the $50.

You definitely can't beat a lifetime warranty. What sold me on the Gold Medal was the kettle. Here is a link comparing them:

http://www.concessionstands.com/4ozpoppers.htm

I originally wanted an 8 oz popper but the price of an 8 oz GM/Paragon/Benchmark was a little too steep and I was concerned about the quality of the Elite & Great Northern Machines. So in my mind when it came to a 4 oz machine bigger was better which was why I chose the GM.

I don't think you will go wrong with either choice though.
post #18 of 475 Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I've had my popper for about 5 years - 6 oz Metropolitan and Stand purchased from Stargate. We use it every weekend, but I only clean it every other month or so (sometimes every 4 months). No big deal. There's always popcorn in it, so I can walk by any time and grab a handful. Once I know there's a tray or two worth of old maids in the bottom, I'll spend 15 minutes cleaning it.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #19 of 475 Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

This was a concern of mine as well before I bought one. I fully expected that if it was just me watching I'd stick with microwave (ick!) or the Whirley-Pop. And that's what I do - machine for guests/parties, not for one person.

But I have been happy with how easy the machine is to clean - easier/faster than I expected, so I may change my behavior. I think it's faster to clean than the Whirley-pop. The trick I figured out is to get a medium-sized Rubbermaid dish tub, hold it against the open door on the machine and scoop all the corn/crumbs out right into the tub. Paper towels, throw everything into the tub, then dump it in the garbage. Takes <5 minutes.

But yes, that never seems to get cleaned that night - usually a day later...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #20 of 475 Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM

Liked: 13
Its good to hear that lots of people are enjoying theirs and that these machines seem to have some serious longevity. Also that they don't need cleanup after each use. I am still wondering about size though... most nights it will just be my wife and I, but we will sometimes have guests for movie night. Would a 4oz (with warming tray) be the way to go for us, and just make double batches when needed? Right now we just use a plain old air popper but it's still better than microwave. And what are everyone's favourite brands of popcorn pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post
There's always popcorn in it, so I can walk by any time and grab a handful.
This will be deadly for me.
post #21 of 475 Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
I am still wondering about size though... most nights it will just be my wife and I, but we will sometimes have guests for movie night. Would a 4oz (with warming tray) be the way to go for us, and just make double batches when needed?
I have a 4oz and can easily pop several batches to get ready for a party. Only takes like 3 minutes per batch after the machine is warmed up. Warming tray is the key there. Stuff stay nice for hours...

I've used both the Snappy popcorn and Wabash Valley Farms - I prefer the Wabash...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #22 of 475 Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

Would a 4oz (with warming tray) be the way to go for us, and just make double batches when needed?

Not sure which machine you are looking at but I pointed out in an earlier post in this thread that the kettle on the 4oz Gold Medal is much bigger than other 4oz machines. It will pop 4oz batches quicker and can also handle 6 oz packs if that is important to you.
post #23 of 475 Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure which machine you are looking at but I pointed out in an earlier post in this thread that the kettle on the 4oz Gold Medal is much bigger than other 4oz machines. It will pop 4oz batches quicker and can also handle 6 oz packs if that is important to you.

I beat you to that info godsbrother.

"The GM 4oz is supposed to pop more than a regular 4oz."

post #24 of 475 Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post

I beat you to that info godsbrother.

"The GM 4oz is supposed to pop more than a regular 4oz."

Doh! Story of my life!!!
post #25 of 475 Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks guys, I think the GM 2404 is at the top of my list right now. I've sent out a few emails to local (Toronto) distributors to see what pricing will be like. Any Paragon supporters have some input? The large kettle, the warming tray, and the several "built like a tank" comments I've seen regarding this unit are key factors so far.
post #26 of 475 Old 08-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
we have had our paragon popper for 4 months now. ( first dedicated purchase for the theater that has yet to be finished) used at least once a week since purchasing. 6 oz kettle that we put 8 oz batches in frequently I LOVE LOVE LOVE this popper. Easy to clean. warming element and light work well to maintain fresh tasting popcorn We used our 5 qt all clad dutch oven all time before this and the speed and ease of clean up is big upgrade. I have no fear of being able to get parts for this machine as long as the good folks in Nevada, IA keep making a quality product. Boy Scout camp outs, birthday parties, office parties, this thing cranks out batch after batch. Only complaint is that it is a little loud, but the speed and quality of finished product more than makes up for it. This is an American made product from one of the biggest popcorn producing states in the country. Paragon makes one damn fine popcorn popper.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #27 of 475 Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM

This thread is dangerous... Now I need one of these lol.

What are some sites that people buy the Paragon poppers from?

Thanks to AVS for helping me with my first home theater system!

Panasonic ST30, Klipsch RB-61 II, RC-42 II, Denon AVR-1611, dual Lava 10" subwoofers

post #28 of 475 Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Are you guys using the full on coconut oil? I would love to buy one of these things and I LOVE movie theater popcorn, but I'm not sure my heart can take it...

there is a "Great Northern Popcorn Black Paducah 8 Ounce Bar Style Antique Popcorn Machine" available at a great price compared to some of these higher end brands you guys are listing, how would they stack up against it?

(It looks like AVS itself is selling these Great Northern popcorn machines at a good price, the link is at the top of this page. 8oz. machine for $157. Looks nice in the picture)

My perpetual home theater build -
post #29 of 475 Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 PM

Using prepackaged 8oz Pop Weaver with Sunflower Oil in my Paragon 6 oz. 90% less fat than Coconut oil. I like the coconut oil a little better but the cardiologist doesn't.
post #30 of 475 Old 09-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
coconut oil here, flavor beats anything else........take a walk once in while, take the stairs instead of the elevator..........live fast, die young.....yadayadayada

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page