Eros Seatcraft seating review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By tmlima
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rmclain73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just received a row of two black Eros made by Seatcraft and wanted to express some early thoughts on them.

First off, I was interested in getting these seats for several reasons. One, being the cheap price. Two, these chairs were going in a tight space (12'x10.5' spare bedroom converted theater) so their compact size was a big plus. Third, due to work I am living in a rental apartment for the next few years and did not want top of the line until I owned my home with large theater.

The boxes they were delivered in were not as big as I was expecting them to be. I could actually pick the things up by myself and carry them around to the back of my place. I did need help carrying them up the stairs though. Not super heavy, but big and hard to grip unless you have a giant arm span. Chairs are packaged nice, and come in two parts per box, the upper back and lower section. Assembly was very easy, just slide the top part down on the lower until it locks. The row of two just snapped together in the middle to make a nice tight connection. The chairs look really nice I must say. They look like you spent more than what you did. My wife was very impressed with their looks too (that is always key). Now, I have sat on more comfortable home theater seats, but they were double the price. The Eros are not uncomfortable by any means, but they do not feel super soft and pillowy either. At the time of this review I have only them for one day so maybe they will break in a little more. There is a lot of padding in there, just on the firmer side compared to some other chairs. As they are now I could sit in them for a extended amount of time no problem. These chairs are on the smaller side compared to most other chairs, but I am 6'1" and find them to be more than large enough for me. The only issue I have with them is getting them to want to stay in a full recline. They seem to want to push me forward, but doing a slight readjustment of body weight seems to take care of that. To be honest, I doubt I would ever watch something fully reclined in these seats anyways as it seems to be to low for my screen setup and my liking.

To wrap things up I would give the Eros seats a 3.5 out of 5. I feel like they are more than worth what I paid for them, and for my purposes they will do the job very nicely.
rmclain73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Iusteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why only 3.5-5? And do you have any pictures?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Iusteve is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
ADDUpstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Perinton NY
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Same issue with the full recline. I'm also 6'1". If you inch back a touch, it will stay back there. I haven't watched a full movie like that. Usually at the first "stop".
ADDUpstate is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rmclain73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Why only 3.5-5? And do you have any pictures?

Only 3.5 out of 5 for the reasons I stated. They are not pillowy soft, and they tend to want to push your forward on a full recline.

I will post pics later.
rmclain73 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rmclain73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11











They are blacker than they appear in the pic. Theater room is still in the building stages. Chairs will be further back from wall, but pushed ahead now for wiring purposes.
rmclain73 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Iusteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are the Eros leather or vinyl?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Iusteve is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
ADDUpstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Perinton NY
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Leatherette. However, I've never had anyone notice the difference, and most people are surprised when I tell them it's not leather.
ADDUpstate is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Newbie
 
LotharQberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

How about an update on the chairs since you've had plenty of time to use them. I noticed in another post that you purchased some additional chairs but was wondering if you would change your rating based on your original post.

Thank you,
LotharQberry is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Member
 
tmlima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Review of Seatcraft Argonaut seats

I purchased a set of 3 from HTOUTLET on Ebay. So far I'm very happy with them. I did receive a defective wedge and it was resolved promptly by them. Patricia was great handling the issue. So I would recommend them highly.
The chairs arrived very well packaged. The boxes are somewhat heavy, but I was able to handle them alone. Assembly is very simple.
The problem I have is I purchased these to match another set. My old set is a $3000 genuine leather Klaussner. Not fair to compare, but there is a difference. My old set has a deeper seat and the leather is softer. The Argonauts for the price are awesome. You simply can't beat them. The seating is a bit harder. However, since they are new, they should breakin with use. The reclining mechanism isn't quite as smooth as my old ones, but it is a different mechanism and once I got used to it it isn't a problem.
The only suggestion I would have is purchase head pillows. There isn't alot of head support but if you adjust your body it should be fine.
The one thing I find compared to my old ones, is that my legs don't heart after a 2 hr movie. The Argonauts don't have your legs stretched straight. They have a slight downward curve to them which I find more comfortable the my old set.
So, to conclude, this set was perfect for my new man cave. It is dark so people can't really do an up close inspection. It wouldn't matter because they look really good. The price and service were great which was an added bonus. The brown is a very dark brown. Which in my case was perfect.

Last edited by tmlima; 03-26-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added color opinion.
tmlima is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So its been a couple months so far. How do you like the Argonauts still?

Curious, when you sit in the chairs, how high do they go up your back? You mention the need for a head pillow. I'm 6'3", is my head going to be way above?

THanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlima View Post
I purchased a set of 3 from HTOUTLET on Ebay. So far I'm very happy with them. I did receive a defective wedge and it was resolved promptly by them. Patricia was great handling the issue. So I would recommend them highly.
The chairs arrived very well packaged. The boxes are somewhat heavy, but I was able to handle them alone. Assembly is very simple.
The problem I have is I purchased these to match another set. My old set is a $3000 genuine leather Klaussner. Not fair to compare, but there is a difference. My old set has a deeper seat and the leather is softer. The Argonauts for the price are awesome. You simply can't beat them. The seating is a bit harder. However, since they are new, they should breakin with use. The reclining mechanism isn't quite as smooth as my old ones, but it is a different mechanism and once I got used to it it isn't a problem.
The only suggestion I would have is purchase head pillows. There isn't alot of head support but if you adjust your body it should be fine.
The one thing I find compared to my old ones, is that my legs don't heart after a 2 hr movie. The Argonauts don't have your legs stretched straight. They have a slight downward curve to them which I find more comfortable the my old set.
So, to conclude, this set was perfect for my new man cave. It is dark so people can't really do an up close inspection. It wouldn't matter because they look really good. The price and service were great which was an added bonus. The brown is a very dark brown. Which in my case was perfect.
IndecisivePurchaser is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Member
 
tmlima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisivePurchaser View Post
So its been a couple months so far. How do you like the Argonauts still?

Curious, when you sit in the chairs, how high do they go up your back? You mention the need for a head pillow. I'm 6'3", is my head going to be way above?

THanks!
Well, I'll start by saying that for the price they're not bad. But I probably would not buy them again. I'm 5'9". They feel a bit small. I think you will not be comfortable. I also have a set of really good Klaisners. You can not compare the comfort. The Argonauts have very small wedges. Too low for the arms and also short. After watching a movie for 2 hours they tend to be a bit uncomfortable. Also make sure to get chairs with real leather seating.

Integra DHC 80.2
Emotiva XPA 5
Emotiva XPA 200
tmlima is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 06-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlima View Post
Well, I'll start by saying that for the price they're not bad. But I probably would not buy them again. I'm 5'9". They feel a bit small. I think you will not be comfortable. I also have a set of really good Klaisners. You can not compare the comfort. The Argonauts have very small wedges. Too low for the arms and also short. After watching a movie for 2 hours they tend to be a bit uncomfortable. Also make sure to get chairs with real leather seating.
Thanks for the update.

We're getting ready to place an order for chairs and we like how there is a curved option, and the dual loveseat. That price helps quite a bit too.

If we get them I'll be sure to update with what we think of them.
IndecisivePurchaser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off