Reclining Loveseat where you can sit in the middle of the two seats? Berkline 12000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I've been searching for the right loveseat (two seats, each that recline) for my home theater but have so far come up with no solution. I need something like a pair of firm Berkline (or Lane) seats, in a loveseat configuration, with high back/head support, where it is possible to sit *in the middle* of the two seats, when it's just me watching -- so I can be in the precise "sweet spot".

From what I can tell, almost all the Lane/Berkline seats can be turned into a loveseat configuration with a little work, and the power recline feature can still work for each one, separately.

But the shape of most models means that you cannot comfortable sit in the middle of the two seats, since they are all, more or less, like the bucket seats in a car. So one would be sitting on a hump.

Are there any models that aren't configured or designed in that way? Is there a model that would let me sit in the middle comfortably?

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nathan,

They are not that many chairs that have bucket seating. As a matter of fact Berkline had only one model - 12011 with the bucket seating that you can still find today. All others are not - straight seat on those.

Lane 103 (same as Berkline 12003) is another example of non bucket seat recliner.

Hope this helps.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #3 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good to know. I haven't seen a photo like that, but from sitting in individual chairs, they all seem to "rise up" a little on the edges. Nice when sitting properly in the seat, but uncomfortable, I would think, when straddling two seats.

Are the 12000 similarly FLAT when sitting in between two seats?

post #4 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Yes, the 12000 is flat, although I cannot tell you how comfortable it would be to sit in the middle of the loveseat. I never tried...

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #5 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok. Here's hoping someone will chime in!

post #6 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post

Yes, the 12000 is flat, although I cannot tell you how comfortable it would be to sit in the middle of the loveseat. I never tried...

Have you tried it on any others?

post #7 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reading through many other threads where people went for configurations involving a loveseat and I can't find anyone that either sat in the middle of one, or put three people into one (not that I plan to, but it's another way someone might have sat in the middle of one). Most interesting.

post #8 of 31 Old 09-13-2011, 05:33 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried it on any others?

No, I have not. I never had a need for it...

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #9 of 31 Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Reading through many other threads where people went for configurations involving a loveseat and I can't find anyone that either sat in the middle of one, or put three people into one (not that I plan to, but it's another way someone might have sat in the middle of one). Most interesting.

Nathan, I purchased my 12000's from roman about a year ago and love them. I have a loveseat in the second row and people like it. I have never sat in the middle of it but the seats are pushed close enough together that someone could sit that way if they chose. Check out my thread for further pictures.

Best of luck......
post #10 of 31 Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've had three 45003 chairs in a |OOO| sofa-style configuration for a few years. I have plenty of experience dealing with the "gaps" since I lie down across them occasionally. I think these have the same seat base as the 090 chairs, with different arms and backs.

There is a big difference between sitting on a seat and sitting on a gap, and it only gets more pronounced over time as the cushions get broken in and and become less firm. The chairs have internal framework and structural parts on the sides of each seating position, and you can feel this through the cushions if you sit on the gap. I don't know if this applies to all models, but I wouldn't be surprised. I actually take advantage of it from time to time, for example when playing Rock Band Guitar I don't want to sink down into the seat, so I sit on the very front edge of a gap and it's like having a cushioned wooden chair.

Your goal is to be able to sit between two chairs while watching movies, so I just tried sitting back in that sort of position (but not reclined). Wow, you do not want to do that. I could easily feel the side frames of both chairs, and worse they lined up with some bony spots on my pelvis so it became very uncomfortable after only a few seconds.

As I mentioned I do lie down across all three chairs from time to time, but I have to position myself to do it comfortably. I usually put one gap at my waist and the other near my knees, so the centers of the chairs are taking most of the weight and the gaps don't press into me. It's definitely not the smooth and consistent cushioning of the sofa it replaced, but it's tolerable. I would not sit on the gap for long periods, though -- that was terrible.

I know there were some models that offered a super-wide single chair that would (I assume) seat one comfortably or two tightly. It probably isn't the sort of item that dealers would still have lying around in old stock, though.
post #11 of 31 Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

Nathan, I purchased my 12000's from roman about a year ago and love them. I have a loveseat in the second row and people like it. I have never sat in the middle of it but the seats are pushed close enough together that someone could sit that way if they chose. Check out my thread for further pictures.

Best of luck......

Hey, could you try sitting between two seats, reclining two seats, and let me know your impressions of the 12000s that way? I'm holding out the hope that they will be nice like that.....

But:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dododge View Post

I've had three 45003 chairs in a |OOO| sofa-style configuration for a few years. I have plenty of experience dealing with the "gaps" since I lie down across them occasionally. I think these have the same seat base as the 090 chairs, with different arms and backs.

There is a big difference between sitting on a seat and sitting on a gap, and it only gets more pronounced over time as the cushions get broken in and and become less firm. The chairs have internal framework and structural parts on the sides of each seating position, and you can feel this through the cushions if you sit on the gap. I don't know if this applies to all models, but I wouldn't be surprised. I actually take advantage of it from time to time, for example when playing Rock Band Guitar I don't want to sink down into the seat, so I sit on the very front edge of a gap and it's like having a cushioned wooden chair.

Your goal is to be able to sit between two chairs while watching movies, so I just tried sitting back in that sort of position (but not reclined). Wow, you do not want to do that. I could easily feel the side frames of both chairs, and worse they lined up with some bony spots on my pelvis so it became very uncomfortable after only a few seconds.

As I mentioned I do lie down across all three chairs from time to time, but I have to position myself to do it comfortably. I usually put one gap at my waist and the other near my knees, so the centers of the chairs are taking most of the weight and the gaps don't press into me. It's definitely not the smooth and consistent cushioning of the sofa it replaced, but it's tolerable. I would not sit on the gap for long periods, though -- that was terrible.

I know there were some models that offered a super-wide single chair that would (I assume) seat one comfortably or two tightly. It probably isn't the sort of item that dealers would still have lying around in old stock, though.

This was my impression of the seats I have tried in person, which I refer to as "bucket" seats, since it clearly intends for you to sit in the middle/center of the seat, like a bucket seat in a car.

When watching with the wife, we'd each have our own proper seat, and the sweet spot would be between us. When watching without the wife, it sounds like i'd still not be in the sweet spot because it's not pleasant to sit across two seats on the gap.

post #12 of 31 Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

Best of luck......
I checked out your build thread. Looks like it's going to be very nice -- and the good news is, the move watching area is nicely appointed already!

Anyway, I would be curious what you think of sitting in the middle of these, since the 12000's are precisely what I am interested in. I'm pretty sure it is uncomfortable, doesn't work when reclined, etc., but I'd be very happy to be wrong!

post #13 of 31 Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's an old story, but it's so "interesting" that finding a selection of seats to actually try, especially in this love seat configuration, is essentially impossible.

post #14 of 31 Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I checked out your build thread. Looks like it's going to be very nice -- and the good news is, the move watching area is nicely appointed already!

Anyway, I would be curious what you think of sitting in the middle of these, since the 12000's are precisely what I am interested in. I'm pretty sure it is uncomfortable, doesn't work when reclined, etc., but I'd be very happy to be wrong!

Sorry it took so long to get back with you...... To quickly answer your question, I do not like sitting in the crack between the two seats. If you have any other questions let me know.
post #15 of 31 Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks much. So far no one finds sitting in the middle of a love seat acceptable.

I think I have to accept being off center at all times, or consider something other than a pair of reclining theater seats in the front row, or place the from row off center enough that one of the two seats is on center.

The room is only 12 ft wide and we need space to get to the second row around the sides of the front row, so i'm limited to about seven feet of width (less is better) for the two seats in the front row.

post #16 of 31 Old 09-16-2011, 05:27 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Why don't you go with the narrow footprint recliners and get a 3 seat configuration? This way you will be in the sweet spot all the time. If you have 12' wide room, and want to have two isles, you will be left with 8' to work with for the chairs. There are recliners like the Berkline 13175 (and some others) where the straight row of 3 will be under 8' wide.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #17 of 31 Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, that could work, as long as the width of a chair plus one arm is less than 30", which that particular model is. I'd have to go with IOIOOI and I would lose a side/end table next to the loveseat side, since having a side table there would block the door and make the path to the back far too narrow.

I need firm, narrow, and 42in or taller, power recline, black, and a warranty -- so now I'm on the hunt.

post #18 of 31 Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Do what I do: I just picked up a 2 way Berkline 45088. My system (9 speakers, 6 subs) is tuned so the my seat is the MLP and my wife's is a close second.

This sounds selfish, but she would never know the difference or care for that matter. She always makes me turn down the volume anyway.
post #19 of 31 Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

Do what I do: I just picked up a 2 way Berkline 45088. My system (9 speakers, 6 subs) is tuned so the my seat is the MLP and my wife's is a close second.

This sounds selfish, but she would never know the difference or care for that matter. She always makes me turn down the volume anyway.

Ah so you have adjusted the speaker balance and distances to be correct for your off center seat, interesting. I already favor the front row over the back row in a similar manner.

post #20 of 31 Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah so you have adjusted the speaker balance and distances to be correct for your off center seat, interesting. I already favor the front row over the back row in a similar manner.

Yes, my MLP is my seat. My wife is not into the audio aspect of HT. We also disagree on what to watch. For a long time I tried to get movies that would appeal to both of us, but I could rarely get her to watch them w/ me anyway.

I moved my 73 inch Mitsu to our extra room and she watches that 90% of the time.

I tried to get her to watch Thor w/ me last night, with no luck.

Its a bit frustrating that she would not want to watch such an amazing movie on a system that blows me away. However our marriage is pretty solid otherwise, we rarely fight so I don't try and force anything on her. Ya gotta learn to pick your battles.
post #21 of 31 Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu

Yes, my MLP is my seat. My wife is not into the audio aspect of HT. We also disagree on what to watch. For a long time I tried to get movies that would appeal to both of us, but I could rarely get her to watch them w/ me anyway.

I moved my 73 inch Mitsu to our extra room and she watches that 90% of the time.

I tried to get her to watch Thor w/ me last night, with no luck.

Its a bit frustrating that she would not want to watch such an amazing movie on a system that blows me away. However our marriage is pretty solid otherwise, we rarely fight so I don't try and force anything on her. Ya gotta learn to pick your battles.
Agreed.

post #22 of 31 Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

LOL....so I asked her today "are you going to watch this amazing movie or what....and then I pulled up a pic of Chris Hemsworth for her...."wow, hes hot" she said, "OK."

Its like trying to deal with a 12 year old sometimes
post #23 of 31 Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha! I did the same thing (in reverse) when the lady of the house wanted to watch Thor. "Natalie Portman is in it," she said. "Let's watch it," I said.

post #24 of 31 Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:

Actually, that could work, as long as the width of a chair plus one arm is less than 30", which that particular model is. I'd have to go with IOIOOI and I would lose a side/end table next to the loveseat side, since having a side table there would block the door and make the path to the back far too narrow.

I need firm, narrow, and 42in or taller, power recline, black, and a warranty -- so now I'm on the hunt.

I have Palliser Blades on order in row of 4 curved with middle loveseat. They should arrive by next so I'll let you know how they turn out. They seem to fit the description you're looking for.
post #25 of 31 Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will be curious to hear.

post #26 of 31 Old 12-31-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I may have finally found a solution. Well, it's not perfect -- I would prefer it in black, rather than the very dark brown, and the head support when reclined fully is not ideal.

But it is a power recline love seat and it is possible to sit in the middle of the seats, even when reclined, comfortably.

I'll miss the option for a similar price (c 1400) to have a two seat love seat with cupholders (chilled ones) and adjustable headrests, like the Lane Bijou's have, or the one's Roman sells that are similar. But since being able to seat three or one in the middle was a clear deal breaker.... this is the best I have been able to do.

Note that this being a special order, but for something they consider a regular "in stock" item, I don't have to pay (can't take delivery) for a month -- so I have time to find something better. But after trying everything in sight for the past three months, this is the only one I could actually live with, even though it's not 100% perfect.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r...LinkType=PDPZ1

post #27 of 31 Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad I got in on that loveseat when I did. The price has now risen.

post #28 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This seat is working out well. When I want to sit 100% in the sweet spot either reclining or not, the gap between the seats is not problematic. Definitely takes a while to outlaws, though. Phew.

Would be nice if it has cup holders but it looks like I will need to pick up a "c" shaped end table that wraps up over the arms.

post #29 of 31 Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Interesting. I am an odd duck sometimes with my needs and I think this is right up my alley.

Dumb question, but I'm assuming they recline independent of each other? As in Person A could be reclined and not Person B?
post #30 of 31 Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep they recline independently.

After living with them a while I say I am very pleased.

But they are not perfect: cupholders would have been nice, and there are a few HT seats that have adjustable headrests.

That said, no seats I found would make a loveseat that one could sit in the middle of on a regular basis, reclined or upright, comfortably, and so far this unit passes that test well -- and that was ultimately more important than cupholders and adjustable headrests.

And here's a bonus. This is a standard model for Macy's to carry in store, so you might well be able to find one to try in person, which for me was important.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page