Help w/ alternatives to Ekornes "Arion" sofa - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wife/I have been HT furniture shopping (and I've been navigating the forums) looking for seating for our basement family room. What we'd like to get is a 3-seat couch with all 3 positions reclining, with no "interior" arms, with narrow cushions. Lastly, the cushions need to be as flat across as possible. Reason for this configuration is that we'd like to be able to both recline, both also be able to "cuddle". Reading the forum (and looking at the product that's out there), this seems to be a pretty rare request.

Anyway, we found the Ekornes "arion" sofa (also the "space") in their medium size fit the bill very nicely. Very comfortable, very nice leather, quality built (as far as I could see).

Question is, is there anything else that's close that we should also consider? Would be great to have something at a lower price point, or even another alternative to compare to at the same price point, but so far this is the single example of what we're looking for.

Any help would be great. thx,

Kipa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you can afford Ekornes you should also look at Hancock and Moore. H and M are the absolute best, IMO, but Flexsteel and Bradington and Young are also good (not as good, but good).

Here is a good site for info http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for the links, but I didn't really see anything that met the criteria above (although I'm sure some of these could custom build something). Did you have something specific in mind that I might have missed? Still searching for any other alternatives to consider.

Kipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

If you can afford Ekornes you should also look at Hancock and Moore. H and M are the absolute best, IMO, but Flexsteel and Bradington and Young are also good (not as good, but good).

Here is a good site for info http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Log in/create an account and Duane will help you. He is an authority on high quality furniture. Or, you could just call him.

I should also add that he is not a fan of reclining couches due to inherent design limitations. However he will lead you to the best furniture for what you want. I am not big on cuddling, so I have an all recliner set up. My wife and I do hold hands while we watch movies and our 4 year old goes back and forth between our chairs.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

I should also add that yes, he will have your furniture made for you (in North Carolina) however it does not necessarily have to be a custom/one off piece.

It will be a standard model, it is just cheaper to have it made in the factory and then shipped directly to you.

His price will be about 10-20% less than what you would pay in a high end furniture store on one of their "huge discount/liquidation" type sales.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've found Hjellegjerde to be a great alternative to Ekornes.

http://www.hjellegjerde.com/
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Take a look at Flexsteel. High quality leather couches that will last 20 years.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post

Wife/I have been HT furniture shopping (and I've been navigating the forums) looking for seating for our basement family room. What we'd like to get is a 3-seat couch with all 3 positions reclining, with no "interior" arms, with narrow cushions. Lastly, the cushions need to be as flat across as possible. Reason for this configuration is that we'd like to be able to both recline, both also be able to "cuddle". Reading the forum (and looking at the product that's out there), this seems to be a pretty rare request.

Anyway, we found the Ekornes "arion" sofa (also the "space") in their medium size fit the bill very nicely. Very comfortable, very nice leather, quality built (as far as I could see).

Question is, is there anything else that's close that we should also consider? Would be great to have something at a lower price point, or even another alternative to compare to at the same price point, but so far this is the single example of what we're looking for.

Any help would be great. thx,

Kipa

Came across this post I was looking for the exact same thing. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative to ekornes? I tried this link http://www.hjellegjerde.com/ as recommended by another member but I could not tell if they sell that sofa in the US. Any ideas?
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page