My new Fusion - Lagoon chairs from Roman - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #811 of 927 Old 02-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We bought just a pair of Tributes about 5-6 months ago, We have a small theater room. My wife hurt her back about 3 weeks ago and the only chair in the house that's comfortable to her is the Tribute. She falls asleep on a regular basis in her chair too. smile.gif And she was the one who was reluctant to purchase these on "just the reviews" here. Glad I won that debate.
I'm happy with my chair too. I'm going to have to fix the arm soon though, it's becoming a real pain in the ***. Just a graze and the armrest lifts itself. Should be an easy fix, I just haven't got around to it.........my fault. Chairs are great. Thanks Roman!

Ron

"New Member" since 2007....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 927 Old 02-22-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
My wife and I watched our 3rd movie in the chairs last night and she is still raving about how comfortable they are. Coming from the same woman that thought I was nuts months ago to drive 3 hours to sit in them in a warehouse in NJ. biggrin.gifeek.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #813 of 927 Old 02-22-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

My wife and I watched our 3rd movie in the chairs last night and she is still raving about how comfortable they are. Coming from the same woman that thought I was nuts months ago to drive 3 hours to sit in them in a warehouse in NJ. biggrin.gifeek.gif

No crazier than paying thousands of dollars for chairs you have never sat in... smile.gif

My wife thought I was crazy for buying based only on the reviews on this site. But I'm glad I did and we all love our chairs

post #814 of 927 Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm in contact with Roman and thinking about these versus the competition, the posts here got me off to a really good start, thanks.

What I havent seen talked about much is that these all seem to be very high backed chairs. I was thinking of going something with a 3/4 back to keep my head above them with no interference in between the ears and rear surrounds. Anyone got any insight into that? Is it not a factor?

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #815 of 927 Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Technically, there is an impact. That said, I would not give up the high back and head support for whatever impact on sound there is. In my experience, the majority of the sound from the rear speakers is diffuse ambiance-type sound rather than highly directional (I have 7.4 so I have side surrounds too that the back doesn't interfere with much). I have not noticed the chair backs causing issues...but I am sure they are muffling some frequencies.

Shan
post #816 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 AM

Liked: 13
OMG I can't wait!! My Escapes will be delivered TODAY! Waiting on a call from the freight company is like a kid that can't sleep on Christmas Eve. Oh, the anticipation is killing me!

Scott
post #817 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Technically, there is an impact. That said, I would not give up the high back and head support for whatever impact on sound there is. In my experience, the majority of the sound from the rear speakers is diffuse ambiance-type sound rather than highly directional (I have 7.4 so I have side surrounds too that the back doesn't interfere with much). I have not noticed the chair backs causing issues...but I am sure they are muffling some frequencies.

Shan

Thanks for the detailed honest feedback. I'm torn really! I have a high backed 20 year old couch down in the basement now, and I know that blocks way more than a theater chair would, but I'd ideally like to have my ears above the seat back. My theater is almost exclusively used for movies, if I want to curl up to watch TV I usually do that in my family room.

What about in the recline position tho, does that make it a bit more direct line to the ears?

Sam Posten
post #818 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When room has allowed, I've always put my rear speakers of my 5.1 system to the side of my recliners instead of behind them. I find this a better sonic solution than putting them behind a high chairback. Of course, level matching the speakers with a SPL meter can help the problem but generally if you have them behind a high chairback you have to raise the relative volume to compensate.
post #819 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Thanks for the detailed honest feedback. I'm torn really! I have a high backed 20 year old couch down in the basement now, and I know that blocks way more than a theater chair would, but I'd ideally like to have my ears above the seat back. My theater is almost exclusively used for movies, if I want to curl up to watch TV I usually do that in my family room.

What about in the recline position tho, does that make it a bit more direct line to the ears?

Sure, when the chair is reclined it would make the situation better. Some of it depends on the design of your room and your speakers. If you are single row and using mono-pole speakers then the chair backs would not as make much of a difference since the speakers are directional and on either side of you. If you are using Di or Bi-pole surround speakers or doing a 6.x or 7.x system then the chair back will have some impact. To me, the best way to find out how much of a difference it makes to you is to try it. Pick a scene in a move with good surround sound that you are familiar with and listen to it while sitting regularly on the couch with your ears blocked by the back. Then listen again on your knees with your ears about the back of the couch and see if the difference is enough to justify either going with a low-back chair and giving up the head and neck support or forcing yourself to be fully reclined to enjoy it. It is not a perfectly scientific way to do it since your ears will be higher in the second case and likely not in the sweet spot and the thickness and material of the couch will not be the same as Roman's chairs, but it should be enough to get a better idea. smile.gif

Shan
post #820 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I wouldn't give up the neck support of a higher back no matter what. I'm sure there's some sonic impact, but for me it's been minimal. Reclining while I watch is more of an imperative. biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

post #821 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My home theater is small and intimate. It works best with an audience of one - me. smile.gif I can accommodate up to 5 if I have to, but now three people can sit in the luxurious comfort of Fusion Tributes. (My projector is in the next room, shining through the wall behind the seating.)

The chairs arrived two days ago, and I'm very impressed. They're extremely comfortable, classy looking and smell great. smile.gif My space is small, and the Escapes would have crowded it a bit, so the Tributes were the solution that worked best for me. I installed ButtKicker Minis in each. The plate in the bottom is pre-drilled, so it went fast. When I remodeled last summer, I made provisions for the ButtKicker when the cabling went in. All the wiring (electrical and speaker cables) is tucked neatly behind the seats.

The Tribute headrest is "infinitely" adjustable - that is, it can be manually positioned anywhere you want it within its range of movement and stays that way until you move it back with your head or hands. It works very well, without inadvertent re-positioning. The power recline mechanism takes ~7 seconds, up or down. It's very smooth.

I watched Gravity in 3D last night, and the glasses are charging in the arm chambers via the USB ports. They're a great convenience. The chambers are deep enough to hold the substantial trays that ship with the units. The pneumatic cylinders that lift the arm rests work quite well, too. They're a good touch. (I would have preferred black trays, but that's a quibble. I can fix it.)

My experience with Roman was every bit the pleasure that I kept reading over and over in this thread. He's a real professional. I consider this one of the best additions ever to my home theater and have no trouble adding my name to the long list of AVSers who recommend Roman.

Joe Clark

post #822 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, thank you both. Due to room layout I've had to do a few atypical design considerations anyway. I've got the speakers running high on the wall in the area called a

They are direct radiators which I have found I like much better than dipole or bipole. I understand fully the diffusion effect that those speakers are designed to bring and found I like the simple, direct in your face approach better, YMMV.

The couch does cut down on it and I'm sure the audissee compensates for it, but I was hoping to have it even more clear line of site from head to speaker, we'll see!

Sam Posten
post #823 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTScotty View Post

OMG I can't wait!! My Escapes will be delivered TODAY! Waiting on a call from the freight company is like a kid that can't sleep on Christmas Eve. Oh, the anticipation is killing me!

Scott

Have fun with those MASSIVE boxes. My advice is to take them out of the boxes outside unless you have an extra large doorway to get them thru! eek.gif

And, you MUST post pictures after you get them assembled. biggrin.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #824 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Liked: 13
Will I need anything more than a #2 Philips screwdriver? I mean, I have PLENTY of tools. Just wondering how the assembly is on these things. From what I've seen, it's a breeze.

Scott
post #825 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Each box has the seat and back - two pieces. You "assemble" them by placing the back on the seat, which locks it into place. Done.

Joe Clark

post #826 of 927 Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My Escapes came today - will have pictures soon!

When putting the backs on, note that there is a zipper that connects from the seat to the back. I didn't event notice it until I was putting on the last back since it's not referenced in the instructions for installing the back.

post #827 of 927 Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

My Escapes came today - will have pictures soon!

When putting the backs on, note that there is a zipper that connects from the seat to the back. I didn't event notice it until I was putting on the last back since it's not referenced in the instructions for installing the back.

Pics?????????????????????????? biggrin.gif

post #828 of 927 Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Pics?????????????????????????? biggrin.gif

I know, I have to get on that. Where has the week gone, I've only been able to use them once so far!!

post #829 of 927 Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Folks,

Just FYI: trucking companies are increasing their shipping charges by at least 5% by the end of March...

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #830 of 927 Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Just set up my new Fusion Escapes... I must say this is the most comfortable seat Ive ever sat in. Leather is beautiful and very soft. Sets up in a snap. Any moron, with two left feet, could set up this chair, blind folded, with no directions... I must give Roman and Al a huge thank you. Al came in on his day off allowing me to pick up the chairs. Class act all the way around... Cant thank you guys enough. Roman with out doubt, is the best business owner/operator Ive ever dealt with...
post #831 of 927 Old 03-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
Is there a significant difference in comfort between the Escapes and Tributes? My Tributes really aren't that comfortable.
post #832 of 927 Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz74 View Post

Is there a significant difference in comfort between the Escapes and Tributes? My Tributes really aren't that comfortable.

I thought the tributes were a tad more comfortable than the escapes and the lagoons were the most comfortable of them all
post #833 of 927 Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked up my 3 escapes in black bonded leather last week at the New Jersey warehouse,
Roman through out the whole process was very patient and responded to all my emails immediately.

I sat in all the chairs and all of them being great, the most comfortable was the lagoons second the tribute and the escapes and finally the jive.

With all that said as soon as you use the power head rest in the escape it's all over, having the motorized head rest really puts the chair at another level. You can be in any seating position and utilize the headrest at your fingertips. Not to mention great build quality as well.

The guys at the warehouse were great, very accommodating to me, I drove 3 1/2 hours each way from mass so it was a long day, but worth it as I was able to try out all the chairs and then bring them home with me.

This really is a great company with excellent customer service and a wonderful product for the money, a very rare thing today.

Thx roman

Bob
post #834 of 927 Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz74 View Post

I think it depends on what drives your definition of comfort. AFAIK all of the chairs are similar in terms of firmness and materials. They are different sizes so that will make a difference for some. If one is looking for a chair that swallows you, these are not them. They are much firmer than many of the other chairs (theater and otherwise) that I have sat in. The benefit is that they provide enough support for long movie marathons without getting your body stiff, IMHO.

In my living room, I have a sectional that swallows you. For an evening of tv when you are up and down, I find them much more comfortable than the Escapes. When I am watching a two-three hour movie in a single stretch, I prefer the firmness and support the Escapes provide. And I agree with Bob....I would not give up the power headrest. YMMV

In the end, it is all subjective. Best thing is to find a way to try them out. I did not and just went based on reputation and past experience with Romand and it worked out well.

Shan
post #835 of 927 Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM

Liked: 12
Anyone have the Escapes (or any other style for that matter) in "bone" colored leather? If so, could you post pictures or PM me?

Thanks
post #836 of 927 Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 PM

Have pretty much decided on the Lagoon in a set of 3. Mostly due to everyone's excellent feedback.

My question is if I should replace the 2 middle armrests with removable ones so that I have the option of going from 3 single chairs to a chair and love seat or to a full couch. Right now I have a futon and I find myself laying down a lot to watch movies.

Any thoughts are appreciated, would love to get these ordered in the next day or 2.
post #837 of 927 Old 03-31-2014, 06:04 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
so that I have the option of going from 3 single chairs to a chair and love seat or to a full couch

mutually exclusive - cannot do that...

If you go with the straight set of 3, it would be:

5301, 3901, 5201
IO IOI OI ----> IOIOIOI

also can be rearranged into:

3901, 5301, 5201
IOI IO OI ----> IOIIOOI

or

5301, 5201. 3901
IO OI IOI ----> IOOIIOI

If you go with the 3 seat couch configuration:

5301, 5401, 5201
IO O OI ---> IOOOI

You can use the removable armrests , but that is all you can do... IOiOiOI

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #838 of 927 Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 PM

Thanks Roman,

That was what I meant, if I wasn't clearer. I know we have emailed about this a bit now, just can't make up my mind.
post #839 of 927 Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post

USB chargers are almost as good as the head rest. Have them charging one remote and two 3D glasses. Nice to be able to charge these and also store them at the same time.

Are there usb ports on the chairs in the armrests.?!?!
post #840 of 927 Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11

The USB charger ports are located inside the arm rest storage.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page