My new Fusion - Lagoon chairs from Roman - Page 38 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #1111 of 1118 Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Honestly, to get the best sound, you'd need to have no chair at all. Anything behind or around your ears, or even in the room itself, is either going to reflect or absorb sound. This is about compromising for comfort and functionality, which happens in every theater...in an ideal theater design, you'd also only have one seating position...right in the sweet spot and the system tuned only for that location. Instead, we put in additional seats for friends and family and compromise on the sound quality so that we can share our love for movies with others.

There is going to be some "technical" impact. In the real world, it is not noticeable (at least to me) but there are some that refuse to use high backed chairs because they don't want to make that compromise. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to hold your head up for 6 hour marathons and not compromise or if you'd rather be comfortable and lose some "technical" audio quality, that you'd likely not notice other wise. As I said originally, in most home theater configurations, your rear speakers are non-directional and produce diffused sound that is supposed to bounce off the walls and hit your ears from the side, back, above, etc...the seats won't impact all of that sound as much as the rear (but having a person on either side of your can, hence the single seat theory). If you are doing a large theater and using directional rear speakers, then there will be more impact...whether it is noticeable is up for debate.

Additionally, if you just get the seats that you want and use those, you are not going to know what you are missing anyhow. The theater will still sound great and you'll use it more since you will be more comfortable. I have Escapes and have never looked back. My theater sounds awesome (much better than any commercial theater) and I can and do spend 12-15 hours in a single day watching movie marathons from time to time. At the end of each, I get up and am not stiff or hurting as a result of the comfort and support of Roman's seats. You are not going to go wrong with any of his models. BTW, the adjustable head rest on the Escapes and others is worth the money...being able to recline fully but still have support for your head is awesome and makes those marathons workable.

Shan

Last edited by Shan; 06-16-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1118 Old 06-16-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post
If you are an audiophile (at least from your username I suspect you are ), and you want a perfect surround sound, you will have to sacrifice the neck/head support and go with very low back recliners - something that has 38" high back or alike. Most people would not want to do so. Now, as I mentioned on taller back models we have the backs where only middle section is high. The sides are lower, and that increases the surround sound effect. The sound that will bounce of the side walls will still reach most people's ears. Again all this is relative, and depends on too many factors...
If we consider an audiophile some who appreciates high fidelity audio reproduction, I'll take the label. If we're talking about people who buy $1000 cables and have money than brains, no. My HT is currently under construction (has been for years, but I'm trying to finally finish it up this summer / fall). I've been listening to a 7.1 system in my great room for years. I have a couch with a high back that blocks the direct path of travel from my side and rear speakers. I don't intend to put >$20k of speaker in my HT and repeat that.

Either way, thank you for the confirmation. I will continue my search of chairs with lower backs. Maybe I will decide after some week, months, or years that I don't like the lower back and buy new seats, but my current disposition is definitely toward seats where my ears are higher than the seat back.
post #1113 of 1118 Old 06-16-2015, 11:05 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I will continue my search of chairs with lower backs. Maybe I will decide after some week, months, or years that I don't like the lower back and buy new seats, but my current disposition is definitely toward seats where my ears are higher than the seat back.
I would suggest finding some chairs with average back height - 41"-42" and test them out before giving up on the higher back recliners. As I mentioned before you will not be seating in the fully upright position, but rather in the reclined one when the back of the chairs goes back and down by about 3"-4". That exposes your ears much better to the surround sound. I'd say that after trying the chairs like that and still not being convinced. I would get some really low back recliners and forget about any neck and head support. You may change your mind after seating in comfortable chairs, though....

You may possibly want to check with some AVSForum members who live in your area and have the setups we are talking about, and see if they can let you try some chairs in the dedicated home theater rooms they have. It may not be optimal for your specific application, but it will at least give you an idea whether it may or may not work for you.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #1114 of 1118 Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just wanted to post my experience with Roman from Ultimate Home Entertainment. I ordered the Fusion Streamline chairs in a 4 seat curved configuration with love seats in the middle O\|OO|/O. I have to say Roman is one of the most responsive vendors I have worked with, always answering my questions promptly, even at late hours! I had no trouble ordering the chairs from him, I sent him a check and the chairs were shipped within a couple days. A few days later the seats were delivered. I opted for the curb side delivery, the guy was nice enough to put them in my garage for me thankfully!! Make no mistake you need two people to move these things! I am a pretty big guy, but I would struggle to get these from upstairs to downstairs in my home theater without help! So if you can't get help, get the white glove service.

Unpacking them was fairly straight forward, they were pretty well wrapped in the cardboard boxes, which is good as I haven't seen any signs of damage. Once they were all unwrapped it only took about 20 minutes to put the backs on and plug everything in and line them up. I have to say, looking at them in my theater makes me feel like its finally complete Being able to sit in a nice big comfy chair with my wife next to me, reclining to just the right spot with a smooth power recline, it made it all worth it and the wife gave her approval of them as well, that's worth it right there! She was also happy the chairs didn't have a ton of LED lights on them, her nor I are a fan of those. These are very classy chairs in my opinion.

I originally wanted the Escape chairs, for that adjustable head rest, but the wife wasn't a fan of how they looked. But these Streamlines are still very nice and hug you well, I can always get a little neck/head pillow if needed The adjustable lumbar support is pretty nice too, its like an airbag in the lumbar position, much like the ones in some cars. It was quieter then I thought it would be too, when deflating it doesn't make any noise, probably relies more on weight to help deflate it I am guessing, but that's fine. When fully reclined my feet hang off a couple inches above my ankles, I am 6'2" so that's pretty good and very comfy. When fully reclined I measured about 7" of space needed behind from the full upright position, not bad at all. So if your a big guy like me, 6'2", 210 pounds, these will fit you very well!!

One last thing, I just wanted to thank Roman for going out of the way to help get some extra pieces for the cup holders for me, its nice to know that a vendor will go the extra mile to support their customers. I have a second row of seats that I still need to buy, ill be going back to Roman for sure when that time comes.
Cobb28 likes this.
post #1115 of 1118 Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Folks,

Take advantage of Father's Day promotional sale we are currently offering.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #1116 of 1118 Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see this thread started in 2011. Can some of the original buyers post about longevity of chairs and change in firmness, etc?
post #1117 of 1118 Old 06-27-2015, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
I see this thread started in 2011. Can some of the original buyers post about longevity of chairs and change in firmness, etc?

I'm the OP so we have had the chairs since late 2011. We use our chairs a lot and by a lot Id say daily for 2-4 hours on average. We dont notice any change in firmness.

post #1118 of 1118 Unread Today, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great review...Thank you! I was interested in these as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories