Looking for Life Size Jack Skellington figure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all -

I just ran across this amazing piece of work and am now on the hunt. It will be my 1st purchase of this type so I don't know where to even begin looking. I have a dedicated theater that he will look great in.

So far, I've discovered that there were only 500 made and they initially retailed for $600. Any of you folks have suggestions on where to look for one(other than eBay)?

Much appreciated -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

So as a followup, I've located one of these for sale. Has anyone ever had to have something of this nature packed and shipped? I know there are numerous variables in figuring the cost of this but I'd be looking at a box approximately 7' tall by 2' wide. It would be going about 1400 miles and weighs about 100lbs (I think).

I know this isn't a shipping forum but thought I'd check here on the off chance that someone has run into a similar situation shipping theater decor or something of that nature.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-27-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigglyline View Post

So as a followup, I've located one of these for sale. Has anyone ever had to have something of this nature packed and shipped? I know there are numerous variables in figuring the cost of this but I'd be looking at a box approximately 7' tall by 2' wide. It would be going about 1400 miles and weighs about 100lbs (I think).

I know this isn't a shipping forum but thought I'd check here on the off chance that someone has run into a similar situation shipping theater decor or something of that nature.

I don't think this will help, but we saw an ad for a new show coming out called Shipping Wars....it's about tranporters to specialize in hard to ship items.

The first issue with shipping this would be packing it appropriately. I assume the seller did not keep the original packing and box? If not, then you would want a company who will pack and ship the item. The "UPS Store" advertises such a service, but they are franchises, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness. If you get someone to pack only (excluding the shipper), then you would need to hire a freight company to ship something this large.

Whatever you do make sure you are insured this item for safe delivery(that's why having the same company pack and ship would be the best solution). I would imagine if it arrives damaged, the freight company will blame the packing and the packing company will blame the shipper. The freight company will them claim they can not pay the claim, since it wasn't properly packed for safe shipment.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4 of 19 Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Hi there, I have one these that I'm thinking of selling, would you be kind enough to let me know what they sold it to you for? I have no idea where to start with a price, I've seen them priced all over the board. Thanks so much!
post #5 of 19 Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
look local in the city where the art is being sold ,find a place that does Crating work as it's best if it's wood crated , it's more $ to ship but then it will arrive in undamaged shape .UPS stores don't do wood crating & if they offer it then they sub it out to a crating company anyway & add a mark-up as well .Fedex ground would be the best shipper
while everyone offers shipping insurance , what to be careful about is if the the crate doesn't meet with the shippers specs of a suitable shipping container they will not pay a claim for damage. One way would be to approach a shipping company & ask which crating service that they use .
I've shipped a large "light in weight" item like this in a wood frame reinforced cardboard box , UPS Smashed it & then would NOT pay a claim on the damage .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #6 of 19 Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Good luck getting something like that shipped to you cheap. By "cheap", I mean less than $1,000. Moving companies go by weight and won't move just one item. Freight company would have to crate it and that would cost at least $400 and another $600+ to ship it. Add insurance to the cost and you're looking over $1,000 easy. It's ridicous, but there's no market for shipping one item cheaply. Even UPS is strict with what they'll accept and since they don't crate it - it's not worth risking it. If it doesn't get crated, it will most definitely get smashed to bits.

If you can, rent a U-HAUL and take a weekend road trip.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 16
Any updates from the OP?

Our company does tons of shipping, so from experience, the biggest issue is going to be size and not the weight, as previously stated. Is there any chance Jack is even partially articulated to cut down on what the ultimate packing dimensions will be? Those hands and knees are killers. Even better would be the option to have him disassembled, but from the picture, it looks like that’s not going to happen.

In addition to the 6-sided crating method, there are also palleting options in shipping, where a product gets packed up with traditional materials then tied down to a pallet. It would take a lot of time and materials to do properly, which you may be willing to take on but the seller/shipper has to do right as well. Those fingers and jacket tails would probably need to be wrapped in bubble sheets and the whole thing boxed (reinforced) and filled pretty tightly with peanuts. Something like shredded foams or shredded polystyrene would fill it more densely, but Jack would be shedding for a LONG time

Some boxes are too big for palleting though, which is probably going to be an issue if he can’t be moved or disassembled. If they can take it, UPS would be cheaper, but you may have more flexibility in size with common carriers and LTL shipping, however the price wouldn’t likely be as good. It’ll probably take calls and back and forth with different companies to see what they will and will not do.

All this being said, I don’t think people have been wrong in their shipping estimates unfortunately. Honestly, if you have the time, the U-Haul idea may be enough of a savings to make it worth your while, or you could even toss it in the back of a large SUV. You’d also have the assurance that it’s packed and handled the right way. It would make it an even better conversation piece too!

“... Remember that time I drove 1,400 miles to get this thing?”
post #8 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
post #9 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

kspitz - I just sent you a PM.

CarloBadalamenti - Unfortunately the seller for the one I found was completely unwilling to try and work out shipping. I absolutely appreciate all of the information you've provided! I do believe this figure is somewhat articulated however to what degree, I am not sure. I was told the initial shipping box was 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 and approximately 7 feet tall. It was filled with styrofoam peanuts as a filler.

After locating the first one and then the deal not working out - I cooled off on the idea for a bit but recently have begun looking again.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

Read what I had to go through ...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/23...oth-experience

Thanks for that link. That's some great information to have once I do come across one.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 16
That’s a shame. Sounds like unless the original seller finds someone local or willing to drive, it’s going to be the only way they’ll get that piece sold too.

With those original packaging dimensions he gave you, it does seem that the figure has some articulation. Looking at the picture and setting it around seven feet tall, the arms and legs are definitely more than two and a half feet apart (assuming the four 2.5' dimensions you provided as the width of each side of the box), so they either can move or be removed. The only kicker there is if it came ready-to-assemble and once it's put together, doesn’t move or tear down again without breaking. If that’s the case the shipping dimensions will be even greater, obviously. Seven feet tall is going to make it too large for UPS anyway which would have been the best option cost-wise. If he can be taken apart at the waist, you may be able to make something work, but if the manufacturer didn’t do that originally, I doubt it’s possible.

If you can find out if and/or how Jack is articulated or able to be disassembled, you’ll be able to get much better information from common carrier companies using a shipping pallet, and hopefully better rates if he’s able to be consolidated into a smaller box for a pallet.

Best of luck.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 PM

One currently on Ebay... Hope that helps... Good Luck it's an amazing display.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromail View Post

One currently on Ebay... Hope that helps... Good Luck it's an amazing display.

Thanks for the heads up. That price is quite high however. The last deal I was working out was for less than half of that however shipping became an issue. Since my initial post, I've spoken with a couple of people who have obtained their Jack for much less than the asking price on eBay.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Hi - Did you ever sell this piece?

Thanks - Katherine
post #15 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Please remember the rules. You are not allowed to post items for sale, trade or want ads outside of the classified forum. If you want to contact someone about a transaction, please do so via the PM system

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #16 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 AM

To all,

I'm very happy to say that, yes, I still have good ole Jack in possession and he is still all boxed up. I've never taken him out of the box, as he is rather large according to
the pics and comments I've seen online. He'd take up entirely too much space if I were to let him just roam free in my house. I honestly didn't know what I had, as this was a gift I received many moons ago, and was told to just hold onto it. lol

Tim
post #17 of 19 Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM

I have one of these and live in San Antonio TX, dont know what to do with him
post #18 of 19 Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Hi Tiebel - did you ever manage to sell your life sized Jack? Are you still interested? Please message me! Thank you.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 AM

I still have my "Jack" upstairs in my attic, still boxed up and never removed from the packaging. It's totally
broken down in the box and nicely protected with styrofoam inserts/blocks. It's quite an impressive job of packaging, as I'm sure the voyage from China to the west coast wasn't such a smooth trip. See attached pic of opened box. Again, Jack has never ventured of the box. JackintheBox.jpg 104k .jpg file
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page