DIY Art Deco Acoustical Panels - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > Theater Room Items & Accessories > DIY Art Deco Acoustical Panels

Theater Room Items & Accessories

roadster-s's Avatar roadster-s
05:30 PM Liked: 15
post #1 of 3
12-23-2011 | Posts: 379
Built myself a set of frameless, floating Art Deco style acoustical panels. Used two one inch fiberglass panels wrapped in microsuede fabric. Mounted against a 3/4" wood laminate panel, floating and frameless. The goal here was to squeeze the most sound absorption out of the panels. Here is what I used.

Certa-Pro Acoustaboard with black non-woven facing. This acoustically transparent, semi-rigid surface makes it much easier for me to cut the panels precisely into shape.

Spray adhesive

Impaling clips.

I started with a melamine backboard on which I secured the impaling clips. Then, I drilled one hole to hook the panel onto a single drywall screw. This way, I could eventually move the panels to other locations with minimal damage left behind on the wall.

I then made cardboard cut-outs in the shapes I wanted for both fiberglass panels, which were going to be superimposed.

Masking tape to mark the cutting lines.

Using the spray glue, I wrapped each panel with it's own fabric colour, glued them together in an offset position, giving them an Art Deco style...And voilÃ*!

Comments welcomed, more pics can be seen on page 4 of my home theater thread.
Francesco Villa's Avatar Francesco Villa
02:16 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 3
01-17-2012 | Posts: 7
Nice! What frequencies did you need to correct?
Shawn_Ky's Avatar Shawn_Ky
10:25 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 3
01-21-2012 | Posts: 82
Looks very nice! Gonna have to steal this idea!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Subscribe to this Thread