Your thoughts on my equipment I have selected - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hello everyone,

Been living in my first new home for almost a year now and have decided its time to turn one of my spare rooms into a home theater. By all means though I am no professional at any of this. I am just a 10 year service member so my budget on this build is only around 5k.

I'll provide before pictures shortly but the room this is going into is around 22' by 14'. I'm painting the side walls a red velvet color with egshell enamel finish. The ceiling is being painted a evening hush color which is like a dark gray color. Part of the ceiling has an angle that comes down to the wall and I'm thinking of putting up some medium density fiberboard covered with black fabric to help with the acoustics. Where the screen is going is a window but that entire wall is going to be covered by black velvet giant curtains that I'm making my self. If I want to use the window I can easly pull back the curtains and movie time I'll cover up the window. I plan on having the screen come down electronically infront of the curtain, giving it that cinema look.
I want to do recessed lighting but I have no idea how to do it.

Here is my equipment list that I have selected so far. I hope its ok if I have it all linked to Amazon, I couldn't find the forum rules.
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLit...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

Yamaha RX-V671BL 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V671...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 System Black
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

I can't decide between these two screens.

Elite Screens VMAX120UWH2 Electric Projection Screen (120" 16:9 AR)
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Electric Projector Screen (HD-120)
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-16-120-In...d=N5MO1GD1O18A
SmokenAshes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Hello everyone,



I can't decide between these two screens.

Elite Screens VMAX120UWH2 Electric Projection Screen (120" 16:9 AR)
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Electric Projector Screen (HD-120)
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-16-120-In...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

If you do some searches in the Screen Forum you will find threads on both.
Neither are what you would call middle of the road screens.. bot are low end so if they go up and down,you got what you paid for.
airscapes is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jayn_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What Doug says.

The rest of the equipment is "safe" in that it is all very popular choices which won't disappoint, but also won't absolutely delight.

The screen however, is weak. Does it have to go up and down? A fixed frame screen will give you more performance per $$ spent. If it has to be retractable, look into a tensioned screen instead. Both of the ones you selected will develop wrinkles over time. Guaranteed. A tensioned screen will compensate for stretching somewhat and will perform better longer. If you want something that will last longer, you need to go away from vinyl (for retractables) and go with a woven screen, but that will cost considerably more.

Definitely go research in the screen forums as there is a wealth of information there.
jayn_j is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks for the tips, and yes the screen has to go up and down because it is covering a window. I don't think the wife will let me permanently cover the window. I've done my research for the projector and to me it's the best bang for the buck but what about the definitive speakers? Are they home theater worthy? Like I said before this is a low budget build since I don't have the time or money to go all out yet. But if I have to go up more on the screen I will. Thank you once again for responding, I posted the exact same post over at the construction forum and not a single response.
SmokenAshes is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Javatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cedar Brook, NJ
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have Definitive Technology speakers. But I would head over to the speaker forum as you will find lots of information and help from those folks.
Javatime is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jayn_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not the one to ask about speakers, as I am a Klipsch fan, especially for the larger classic stuff. I have never owned the DT speakers, but I will say that speakers are probably the most individual decision you will make. There are a lot of different choices in every price range and fans of each. You need to decide, by listening, what is right for you. I would never buy speakers without auditioning them somehow.


I am not an equipment snob. I run an Epson myself as a good entry level projector. My screen is 120" fixed vinyl, but I also have a batcave with dark walls and ceiling. I am going to suggest at this point, you defocus a bit from equipment, and spend some time on expectations. When you go with a projector, you need to address issues with light control, soundstage, sound isolation, room reflections, seating positions, etc. If you can't control the light, perhaps a projector is not the best choice (for example). I think you need to spend some time planning out the overall look and feel, and how to address the issues before committing to the equipment.

This whole forum area actually is about the room and not the equipment. You will find better answers in the individual equipment forums, but also a lot of fanboy type responses. You need to learn how to weed it out.
jayn_j is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Member
 
digitalgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Hello everyone,

Been living in my first new home for almost a year now and have decided its time to turn one of my spare rooms into a home theater. By all means though I am no professional at any of this. I am just a 10 year service member so my budget on this build is only around 5k.

I'll provide before pictures shortly but the room this is going into is around 22' by 14'. I'm painting the side walls a red velvet color with egshell enamel finish. The ceiling is being painted a evening hush color which is like a dark gray color. Part of the ceiling has an angle that comes down to the wall and I'm thinking of putting up some medium density fiberboard covered with black fabric to help with the acoustics. Where the screen is going is a window but that entire wall is going to be covered by black velvet giant curtains that I'm making my self. If I want to use the window I can easly pull back the curtains and movie time I'll cover up the window. I plan on having the screen come down electronically infront of the curtain, giving it that cinema look.
I want to do recessed lighting but I have no idea how to do it.

Here is my equipment list that I have selected so far. I hope its ok if I have it all linked to Amazon, I couldn't find the forum rules.
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLit...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

Yamaha RX-V671BL 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V671...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 System Black
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

I can't decide between these two screens.

Elite Screens VMAX120UWH2 Electric Projection Screen (120" 16:9 AR)
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Electric Projector Screen (HD-120)
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-16-120-In...d=N5MO1GD1O18A

Here is a thought, I just got mine built on a budget as well. I compromised the 120" to 100" electric elite screen (160 vs 370) and got the epson 3010 (1350) which is 3d and comes with 2 pairs of 3d glasses vs (epson 3850 @ 1199). so the difference in screen price, i got the 3d projector. I love the setup I have. I wish I got the 120" BUT since I'm on a budget, I'm happy with the 100" 3d setup. Projector is AWESOME and I have not even done the calibration yet.

Pioneer VSX-1121-k
Epson 3010 projector
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Monoprice cables for inwall
BlueRigger - cables for device connectivity
digitalgeek is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

I'm not the one to ask about speakers, as I am a Klipsch fan, especially for the larger classic stuff. I have never owned the DT speakers, but I will say that speakers are probably the most individual decision you will make. There are a lot of different choices in every price range and fans of each. You need to decide, by listening, what is right for you. I would never buy speakers without auditioning them somehow.


I am not an equipment snob. I run an Epson myself as a good entry level projector. My screen is 120" fixed vinyl, but I also have a batcave with dark walls and ceiling. I am going to suggest at this point, you defocus a bit from equipment, and spend some time on expectations. When you go with a projector, you need to address issues with light control, soundstage, sound isolation, room reflections, seating positions, etc. If you can't control the light, perhaps a projector is not the best choice (for example). I think you need to spend some time planning out the overall look and feel, and how to address the issues before committing to the equipment.

This whole forum area actually is about the room and not the equipment. You will find better answers in the individual equipment forums, but also a lot of fanboy type responses. You need to learn how to weed it out.

Thanks for the pointers. As for the room here is what I have planned.

1. Light control - There is one window, which I am putting giant black velvet curtains infront of blacking it out. The screen is going to come down infront of those curtains. When I mean giant curtains I mean they are going to be covering the entire wall just about. This should give me pretty good light control.

2. Reflections - As I right this I am painting the walls with Behr red velvet paint, egg shell enamel finish. I'm hoping the egg shell finish won't cause too much reflection for the projector. The ceiling is being painted with a flat dark charcoal color.

3. Sound isolation - I don't plan on breaking down the sheet rock to insulate the room even more just because I don't have the time or extra money to go that far. I was thinking about buying some medium dense fiberboard and creating panels along the sides of the room to help with the acoustics.

4. Seating positions - For now I have a couch that is going to be sitting about 11' to 14' away from the screen. I plan on getting theater seating put in but that will be down the road. Maybe 3 across and possibly 2 rows since the room is about 22' long.

With all that in mind, what do you think?
SmokenAshes is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jayn_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sounds like you are thinking it through.

Velvet will pass some light. Check it out before making a major commitment. You may need to add some light blocking liners to the curtains. I have found that the Eclipse brand curtains are fairly effective. You will be surprised how much light passes around the edges, even with big overlaps. Just be prepared to plan for it.

I stand by the recommendation to get a tensioned screen if you can afford it. Go smaller if you must, but long term you will thank yourself. You might want to consider a gray screen to improve black levels at the expense of overall brightness, but I actually think you will be OK.

Colors look good. I used eggshell on the walls. There are some reflections, but it was vastly improved. The really critical area is the ceiling for the first 6' out from the screen.

There are several good threads here on constructing acoustic panels. Dense fiberboard is probably not the best choice. Read and research.

22' will get you 2 rows, but you need to plan for that. You will definitely need a riser for the back row. It will most likely be about 10-12" high. Otherwise the folks in the back row will mostly see seat backs and heads Watch for deals on seating. The k-mart deal is now over, but Costco is currently running a powered theater seat deal. You can expect the Costco deal each year right after Christmas. The other stuff comes and goes, but it usually gets reported in the accessory forum pretty quickly. If you decide on mainline seats, look here for online dealers. Furniture stores charge at least 50% more and often triple. I bought mine from Roman and couldn't be happier.

Back to those speakers. It really is a personal choice. The room is modestly sized, so reasonable speakers can work. Look at efficiency. An inefficient speaker makes the amplifier work harder, thus you need a bigger amp. However, they tend to be smoother in response. As I said, I am a Klipsch fan, so I would be recommending you look at their towers or better still, scour craigslist for some nice KG series or Cornwalls. But that's just me. You really do need to go listen before committing as this is a very personal decision. You need to find a store with decent listening rooms and that is tough these days. Best Buy puts speakers out on the open floor with 30' ceilings. The sound is totally useless for auditioning. One thing to consider is that Amazon has a good return policy, so you can audition and return if they don't feel right.
jayn_j is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thank you so much on the reply, I feel you have put my mind at ease with some of this stuff. I really wish I could go some place and listen to some speakers but the selection around here sucks! I might have to goto Atlanta and check out some areas. The only time I sat in a demo was for the Bose lifestyle but that was a long time ago. It sounded good, but I want better. Once again thanks you,
SmokenAshes is offline  
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off