Remote... what exactly am I looking for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw this house that had all the components hidden behind a wall. The TV had a little IR remote dongle looking thing hanging on the upper corner. The guy had a Logitec remote.

I want to do the same thing.... control as much as possible from a remote. My components will also be behind the wall. Need fast advice as the contractors are on day 6 of building the room...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You need two pieces. A Logitech Harmony remote is always a good idea. You also need an RF remote extender. Harmony and others make this for around $50-75. It consists of an IR receiver which retransmits the signal as RF. Then an RF receiver that emits IR to a set of dongles that are placed in front of the components.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
The product you're talking about specifically is the "Hidden Link" system from Xantech (or a similar product). Which relays IR from any remote to IR emitters placed in front of equipment out of the line-of-sight of the remote.

The alternative, as jayn_j describes, is to use an RF remote and a base station that accomplishes the same thing. Difference is that you must have an RF remote, but you don't even have to point it at anything, or even be in the same room.

For your purpose, either method will work. If you don't have a Harmony or other universal remote, that may make the RF path the better answer (or at least break the tie!).

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So how do these "hidden" remote work for u guys in real life?

I mean many times the device(s) losses the command, for whatever reason, but I can LOOK at my equipment and send the command again. If u can't see your equipment, and the remote is not a two-ways medium, how do you deal when things go un-synched?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Same as any remote macro. Point and issue it again (you are using discrete codes, right??? ). I find the HiddenLink setups to be more reliable - as you point the remote at one point, and so all equipment either sees it or none of it does...

Harmony users, of course, have the 'help' function, too.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks..... asking around, I found out that Hot Link Pro seems to fit the bill. Is that correct?

BTW, I just got a little lucky.... the contractors are changing the dates that some things will be done, and I don't have to rush quite so much.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa2x View Post

Thanks..... asking around, I found out that Hot Link Pro seems to fit the bill. Is that correct?

That's another brand/model, yes...

Quote:

BTW, I just got a little lucky.... the contractors are changing the dates that some things will be done, and I don't have to rush quite so much.

Uh - are the walls open? Is this a remodel or new construction? If you haven't spent time browsing the A/V Distribution forum a few down from here, you might want to take a look before they close up the walls. Adding wire and low-volt flex conduit now can give you a lot of flexibility and potential later...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page