Seats for a shorter guy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm 5'6" and haven't seen many posts by shorter people, so I'm wondering what seats would be good for someone my size.

I really like the look and features of the Fusion Escapes. There don't seem to be too many at that price range with adjustable headrests. Has anyone shorter sat in these? What was your impression? It sounds like they might be a bit big for someone my size. I need to at least be able to use the headrest adequately.

Requirements:
curved set of 3 seats
tray tables
power recline
option in brown

Features I really like:
adjustable headrest
real leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I do not believe that there is a chair on the market that will have all features you mentioned with the low back for you.

The chair that I would recommend for you would be Berkline 12006 with 38.5" high back, but it has no tray, storage and adjustable headrest.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #3 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Romans outfitted several builds I have done for clients...take his advice.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

So, are those really my only option? No company has thought that kids, wives and shorter people might enjoy sitting in a nice theater recliner?

What are the dimensions on other seats? From butt to top of head in a seated position, I'm about 33" (that's after sinkage). I almost never sit back without reclining, so being able to touch the floor isn't a big deal.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

It is not about ability to touch or not touch the floor. It is about having a head support without blocking your surround sound. IF most of your height is in the upper body, you may get away with 41" high back recliner, but I would not go any higher then than...

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #6 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

I only have a 5.1 system, so surround is coming from the sides more than the back and watching movies I will likely be more reclined. Will it still impact the sound that much?

I could see this being a problem if I had a 6.1-9.1 system, but I think I'd rather have nice seats than hear the miniscule amount of "immersion" sounds from the back. This isn't really a theater setup; it's a living room. Wood floors will do more to kill the quality of sound than the seats. I plan to get a large area rug to dampen that a bit, but it's certainly not going to be ideal.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Even with the 5.1 surround sound system (I assume your surround speakers are not front firing) the whole idea of the surround sound is about the sound bouncing off all the surfaces - walls, ceiling, floor, etc... So, the sound waves will hit the back wall and bounce off it as they would from other surfaces. Anything that comes from the back wall will be lost if you have higher than you should chair back. Even in the reclining position you will have a broken surround sound and will not be able to achieve the enveloping effect we are all after...

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #8 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Roman is right in that there is not much out there and none with an adjustable headrest and a shorter back height. The only think I can think of is the Coaster Pavillion which has a manual ratchet headrest and a 41" back height which will not be ideal for you. I think you should look for chairs with backs between 38.5" and 40".

If you are open to expanding your search to sectionals that use two wedge consoles (with cup holders) between the chairs, you may have better luck. The width you have available will determine whether or not this is an option.

Also, if you are willling to expand your search to Black, take a look at the following models:
Barcalounger Matinee: Nice chair with a 40" back height, but no tray table, unfortunately
Albany Furniture Varsity: Nice, comfortable chair witha 41" back, tray table and storage

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #9 of 9 Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Surrounds are EPOS ELS-3 and I have a dining room behind the seating area, so the rear wall is a good 30+ feet away. It's a pretty open floor plan, so I have gaping holes everywhere that will be nearly impossible to compensate for. As much as I'd love an acoustically sound room, it's not happening without major work, so some headrest intrusion is probably the least of my worries.

I'll take a look at some of the seats you mentioned. I really didn't want to go with black, but I'd rather take the hit there than on the rest of the features.

For reference
TV is Panasonic 65" ST30
Onkyo TX-SR803 receiver
EPOS ELS-3 for 5 channels
Dayton 15" sub

Room:

This is a picture from the previous owner. My furniture will be different, so don't go by what's there.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page