Another DIY poster/marquee light-box - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 401 Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What gauge wire are you guys using to make the connections between LED strips and to the power supply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 401 Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think I used 16g from the power supply to a wire nut then 20g from the wire but to each strip.

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #393 of 401 Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Figured I'd post a link to my movie poster construction rather than recopying everything over here. I may drop in some final pictures once I have them because not everyone will want to follow my whole process.
post #394 of 401 Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Figured I'd post a link to my movie poster construction rather than recopying everything over here. I may drop in some final pictures once I have them because not everyone will want to follow my whole process.

No link posted. Do you mean the posts from #1228 in your build thread?

I find it fascinating how different needs drive very different designs. Yours show very nice craftsmanship.
post #395 of 401 Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, post 1228 (it's in the word link). Thought by putting that number in the link that it would automatically scroll down to post 1228. Guess I was wrong.

Appreciate the compliment. My frame doesn't have a lot of detail to it but adds just enough I think. I was lucky to come across this thread early on in my design process so that I could incorporate spaces for them in the wall that help keep the depth down and allow me some flexibility on material choices sense everything is not visible.
post #396 of 401 Old 05-02-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought I would post up some final pics of my lighted movie poster frames. More information can be found in my thread.

post #397 of 401 Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Awesome vanice - they came out beautifully!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #398 of 401 Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Vanice - Indeed Well done!!
How are the power supplies working out?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #399 of 401 Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! Cuzed - I did have one of the power supplies go into protection mode after about 3 hours of constant use. Not sure why it did it because I have ran both power supplies for multiple hours multiple times before this. I unplugged it, let it sit for the night, and then tried it again the next day. Has been working fine since then. They do get quite warm but have plenty of air space around them to aid cooling. Going to keep an eye on them but I think they will be fine. If for some reason I have issues with that same one again I will probably look to get a 10A power supply so that I have even more headroom. I should only be pulling about 6 1/2 or 7 amps I think (3 1/2 strands of LEDs) so I really should be fine with what I have.
post #400 of 401 Old 08-31-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally

I'm finally getting around to posting some pics of my build. I've never followed up on any project I've done with the help gained from a forum so this is my first. I thought I should so I can maybe pay it forward and help someone else that may be in the same situation I was in before stumbling across this thread.

First off, I'd like to thank cuzed2 for starting this topic and making it possible for me to attempt my own light box with minimal design considerations and all of the suggestions for hardware. You definitely saved me an enormous amount of legwork. I'd also like to thank Moggie for his punctual and informative responses to my pm's concerning wiring and dimensions of his light box. I really find that the free flow of information created by this forum is one of the most powerful side effects of the internet and I truly appreciate it.

Now on to my project: I should begin by saying that I am coming from a background in cabinet making and my experience in that influenced many things in my box, from materials to construction methods. I wanted to make things simple and reduce any finishing (ie painting and such) as possible. To that point I chose to use 3/4" white melamine for the box material. I saw many builders painting the inside of their box white, or using silver material. I wanted to avoid any of this and thought the shiny white surface of the melamine would be sufficient at reflecting any light within the box. I also saw many different treatments to the outside of the box, from elaborate woodwork, to painting. I had some free black plastic laminate (think Formica for you noncabinet makers) and I contact cement clad the outside of my box to match the black frame color. I thought this would give a clean minimalist look as well as cover the screw holes from constructing the box. I used a CinemaWide frame from Spotlight Displays and was impressed with Robert's customer service and products and highly recommend them to anyone attempting this type of project, plus as AVS members we can take advantage of a nice discount! I used 3/16" white translucent plexiglass that I was able to get at a local sign shop and they even cut it to the 27"x40" dimensions for $40. I felt comfortable with the thicker glass compared to cuzed2's from pm's I had with Moggie and I do not think it affects the light output at all. As for lights, I used three 5m, 300led strips I got off eBay for $4.50 each, and cut them into 60 led lengths as Moggie did for his boxes. I also got 8mm connectors (10 for $4 that I cut in half and used crimp connectors on bare wire ends) for the 3528 leds from the same seller, as my soldering skills are not that great. While doing searches for the lights and connectors, I saw the same seller also had a remote control to turn on/off and dim the light strips for ~$6. I originally thought I would mount a toggle switch on the box, but thought the remote would be more convenient. I love it! It's RF and can control the lights from any where on our ground floor. Plus, if we have all the lights off while watching a movie, I can dim the strips to the preset 50% or 25%, or a gradual +/- dim if wanted. Finally, I got an 8A power supply off eBay to power the strips for about $18. So all together I probably had about $170 into the box. I think that was very affordable considering the prices of prebuilt units I saw before I attempted this project.

I've attached several photos of my build and am quite pleased with how it turned out. As a matter of fact, I've got the parts to make a second box to display a recently purchased Hobbit movie poster.

I hope I wasn't overly wordy with this post as it is my first attempt at helping others and displaying my results. Perhaps this will prompt me to also post a thread on my gear cabs I made for our theater/family room. I know they pale in comparison to the many great dedicated theaters on this forum, but they do serve the purpose and have design features not found in off the shelf entertainment units.

Anyhow, thanks for the help.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box Parts.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	239249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box Construction.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	239257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box Construction 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	239265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box LEDs.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	239273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box Connectors.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	239281  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box Remote Receiever.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	239289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box Lit Up.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	239305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Box Frame-Diffuser.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	239313  
post #401 of 401 Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwindow View Post
I'm finally getting around to posting some pics of my build. I've never followed up on any project I've done with the help gained from a forum so this is my first. I thought I should so I can maybe pay it forward and help someone else that may be in the same situation I was in before stumbling across this thread.

First off, I'd like to thank cuzed2 for starting this topic and making it possible for me to attempt my own light box with minimal design considerations and all of the suggestions for hardware. You definitely saved me an enormous amount of legwork. I'd also like to thank Moggie for his punctual and informative responses to my pm's concerning wiring and dimensions of his light box. I really find that the free flow of information created by this forum is one of the most powerful side effects of the internet and I truly appreciate it.

Now on to my project: I should begin by saying that I am coming from a background in cabinet making and my experience in that influenced many things in my box, from materials to construction methods. I wanted to make things simple and reduce any finishing (ie painting and such) as possible. To that point I chose to use 3/4" white melamine for the box material. I saw many builders painting the inside of their box white, or using silver material. I wanted to avoid any of this and thought the shiny white surface of the melamine would be sufficient at reflecting any light within the box. I also saw many different treatments to the outside of the box, from elaborate woodwork, to painting. I had some free black plastic laminate (think Formica for you noncabinet makers) and I contact cement clad the outside of my box to match the black frame color. I thought this would give a clean minimalist look as well as cover the screw holes from constructing the box. I used a CinemaWide frame from Spotlight Displays and was impressed with Robert's customer service and products and highly recommend them to anyone attempting this type of project, plus as AVS members we can take advantage of a nice discount! I used 3/16" white translucent plexiglass that I was able to get at a local sign shop and they even cut it to the 27"x40" dimensions for $40. I felt comfortable with the thicker glass compared to cuzed2's from pm's I had with Moggie and I do not think it affects the light output at all. As for lights, I used three 5m, 300led strips I got off eBay for $4.50 each, and cut them into 60 led lengths as Moggie did for his boxes. I also got 8mm connectors (10 for $4 that I cut in half and used crimp connectors on bare wire ends) for the 3528 leds from the same seller, as my soldering skills are not that great. While doing searches for the lights and connectors, I saw the same seller also had a remote control to turn on/off and dim the light strips for ~$6. I originally thought I would mount a toggle switch on the box, but thought the remote would be more convenient. I love it! It's RF and can control the lights from any where on our ground floor. Plus, if we have all the lights off while watching a movie, I can dim the strips to the preset 50% or 25%, or a gradual +/- dim if wanted. Finally, I got an 8A power supply off eBay to power the strips for about $18. So all together I probably had about $170 into the box. I think that was very affordable considering the prices of prebuilt units I saw before I attempted this project.

I've attached several photos of my build and am quite pleased with how it turned out. As a matter of fact, I've got the parts to make a second box to display a recently purchased Hobbit movie poster.

I hope I wasn't overly wordy with this post as it is my first attempt at helping others and displaying my results. Perhaps this will prompt me to also post a thread on my gear cabs I made for our theater/family room. I know they pale in comparison to the many great dedicated theaters on this forum, but they do serve the purpose and have design features not found in off the shelf entertainment units.

Anyhow, thanks for the help.
Tom
Tom,

Thanks for posting your build. As for the forum and exchanging ideas; you are most welcome!
I am just happy I could give back with this idea, and it is satisfying to see these projects are still alive and well.
I like your idea of using the white melamine for the backing and the frame, NICE Result !!!

Craig

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page