I made this in about 2 hours yesterday mostly with items i had around the house. All i had to buy was an 18ft rope light and some cable clamps. I only spent $18 at Home Depot ....the other stuff i already had.
This is the first time i have done this and i had no idea what i was doing. It was the best i could do with my limited knowledge with projects like this. A professional Light Box would cost around $300-$500. The next time i make one it will be 27 x 40....Double side posters are the best for Light Boxes and they only come in 27 x 40. The Trick R Treat poster that i am using is single sided and i think it lights great.
2 - 24 inch cuts of 1 1/2 x 2 1/2
2 - 36 inch cuts of 1 1/2 x 2 1/2
2 Walmart 24 x 36 poster frames
18 ft. Rope light
Clear packing tape
Some black paint
You will need a 2nd poster frame for the 24 x 36 piece of the plastic that protects the poster. I had a spare one from and older poster frame that i had. If you can figure out a way to get a hold of a piece of plastic that size with out buying a 2nd poster frame just for the plastic then it will make your project cheaper.
1. Cut the wood and connect them with some long screws. Make sure it is very sturdy and secure. The frame you make out of the wood should measure exactly 24 x 36.
2. Paint the wood frame
3. When dry put the card board piece that came in the poster frame (I used of 24 x 36 piece of flat paneling that i had but the card board should work fine). on top of the frame you made with the wood and make sure it fits exactly.
4. Staple gun the card board or flat paneling to the wood frame.
5. Cut a small hole at the bottom side of the wood frame.
6. Using the cable clamps to arrange the rope light inside the wood frame. Make sure you start with the plug end through the hole you made then start connecting the rope up and down the frame with the cable clamps.
7. Use the clear packing tape to secure the lights to the back of the cardboard or paneling.
8. Take the plastic frame (Walmart one ) and put your poster in it. Put the 2nd plastic poster protector over your poster. Clamp the poster and 2 plastic pieces down with the small black clamps that are built into the Walmart frame.
9. Cut small thin pieces of Velcro and stick them on the outer edge of the plastic poster protector. Make sure the Velcro pieces are not to big or they will show when the light box is on. I used about 8 pieces of Velcro around the plastic frame. I can still take of the frame to change out the poster. It takes a little bit of work but it will come off. Just do it carefully so you do not snap the plastic.
10. Carefully place the plastic frame onto the light box evenly.
11. Plug it in
. I use a dimer switch on mine.
Here is video of my Light Boxhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYs-Nptyfg4