Anyone for some Vintage Posters?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.gainesville.com/article/2.../ENT/120319922

Gee, I wish I had a spare quarter mil....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Hee hee... Pretty remarkable that someone was willing to pay $30k for a glued together mess. Looks like he did well!

If anyone does like the look of these, and don't mind a modern reproduction (but a high quality lithograph), S2 Art has a whole collection of them:

www.s2art.com

Look under "At the Movies" or "Re Collection", under the Art Collections group. I have the two-sheet Houdini hanging in my stairwell... If I had another spot for it I'd probably have the 3-sheet Metropolis!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
There is a lengthy discussion on the posters, how they got them apart, and their restoration here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index....ic,3277.0.html

Here is a link to the current online bidding for them, which shows the posters that were found. Forget the current prices, the live bidding will totally wipe them out:
http://movieposters.ha.com/common/se...4294954924+137
Note the ones in the "Berwick Discovery" are the ones from 1931.

Also, I need to point out that Heritage auctions usually get prices that are well above average for this material. Premium posters at premium prices.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

^^

Wow, Both of you have posted Great sites for posters, there are so many around here I see that I'd love to have, I just cant yet justify spending more for One poster than I have for my front speakers!!

Some of the vintage artwork really IS incredible, boy, why is it I never find anything like that in MY attic??!??
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, that is the site for Rolls Royce type posters. I usually go to a couple of auction sites that the dealers use:
www.emovieposter.com
www.movieposterbid.com

Both have weekly auctions with all items starting at $1. Most stuff sells for under $50 with a lot selling for under $5. It pays to be both patient and flexible when bidding there. You never know when something will come up, and sometimes someone shows up and bids something into the stratosphere.

Both of these sites will have a theme for an individual auction (half sheets, foreign posters, rolled 1 sheets...) so you may have to wait a few weeks until what you want comes up.

I wrote a primer on collecting on another site that may be of some interest:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/home-the...er-primer.html

There is also a lot of good info on this site: http://learnaboutmovieposters.com/
post #6 of 10 Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thats great! Your primer was just what I needed, thank you!
those photos of posters, those in your collection? I really like that Forbidden Planet! thats just terrific!
I'd like some of those auction wins for a dollar! How often are they really anything decent, I wonder.... I've added those sites to my fav's, I'll try being patient and maybe get lucky...
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainiac View Post

Wow, thats great! Your primer was just what I needed, thank you!
those photos of posters, those in your collection? I really like that Forbidden Planet! thats just terrific!
I'd like some of those auction wins for a dollar! How often are they really anything decent, I wonder.... I've added those sites to my fav's, I'll try being patient and maybe get lucky...

You never know, but you are not likely going to get that Forbidden Planet for a buck. What you tend to get at those prices are lesser known titles with reasonable casts and good graphics. But who knows? It may be something you like for other reasons.

For example, I am also a rally driver, so I was happy to score the following for $3: http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=80012
post #8 of 10 Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the Heritage auction of the berwick discovery occurred today. A few surprises.

First, the Dracula style F sold for a mere $140k. Sounds like a huge amount of money until you consider that the same poster from the Nicolaus cage liquidation sold for $300k a couple of years ago. Down economy and now there are 3 known copies instead of 2.

The Cimmaron poster was a star. It was a stunning poster and went for a bit over $100k with buyers premium. Had been estimated at $30-40k

The entire collection netted $503K including the buyers premiums. Not a bad return on a $30k investment.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

For example, I am also a rally driver, so I was happy to score the following for $3: http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=80012

Is this the sequel to Deathrace 2000??

I guess like anything else, you take your pick...
$3? that I like.
140k? a liiiitle outa my range...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainiac View Post

Is this the sequel to Deathrace 2000??

I guess like anything else, you take your pick...
$3? that I like.
140k? a liiiitle outa my range...

Exactly. Find material that matches your interests. It helps if you are looking for stuff that isn't the same as what everyone else is looking for. Eighties horror is very hot right now, so you aren't going to see bargains on any Zombie, slasher or Hammer vampire paper. Ten years ago, not so much. I bought a Nightmare on Elm Street poster for $10 back in the mid-90s that you need at least $150 to buy now.

Of course, I also have a fair amount of stuff that "seemed like a good idea at the time", but "what was I thinking". I'm embarrassed to even admit I own it.

One more thing. There is always a 'hot' movie out there where everyone is competing for the posters, and that drives the price up to a crazy level. Last year it was Black Swan. These posters always crash in price.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page