Black Lutron Maestro IR switches... or paint? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished painting my room this past weekend - and it turned out great... with the exception of my block of Lutron Maestro IR dimmer switches.

My question is - does anyone know if there is a "black conversion kit" for the switches?
If not - has anyone had any success with painting these? I haven't looked closely to see how hard it is to disassemble these for painting... I'm concerned about trying to paint it without taking it apart because I don't want to damage the electronics/sensor inside.

Any ideas?

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Really? No one has wanted to convert the switches to black before?

I know they make the switches in quite a few colors... So I have to assume it CAN be done...

I've emailed Lutron, but I thought someone here must have some ideas..:

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

...and I just got an email back from Lutron - they DO NOT sell the switch parts separately.

I guess I will first see how hard it is to take the switch apart and paint the pieces... and if that looks like a problem I will have to decide if $120 for black Lutron switches is worth it or if $250 to get started with a much more flexible, programmable, and expandable Insteon setup is a better plan.

-Aaron
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

...and I just got an email back from Lutron - they DO NOT sell the switch parts separately.

I guess I will first see how hard it is to take the switch apart and paint the pieces... and if that looks like a problem I will have to decide if $120 for black Lutron switches is worth it or if $250 to get started with a much more flexible, programmable, and expandable Insteon setup is a better plan.

Insteon!!!! I switched out a Lutron for Insteon this past week. Much more flexibility. My theater room is in a bonus room upstairs over my garage. My switch setup was originally a 3 way switch (one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top) to control the light in my stairwell, and then another switch upstairs to control the overhead lights in the room. I also had a rope light behind my projector screen that I had to plug in manually.

Now I added (all insteon) a RF to Insteon Converter to be able to control everything from my Harmony remote, an controlled outlet for the rope light, and insteon switches for both the 2 way and the over head lights in my theater.

Now I can turn on all my lights (stairwell, overhead, and rope light) from the insteon controller downstairs (and also turn everything off). At the top of the stairs each switch will still control its individual light. When I turn the theater on it turns off all the lights except the screen light. When I pause something I can bring up only 1 set of lights if I want, etc.

I'm planning on building backlight movie poster frames as well and I am planning on tying them into the downstairs switch as well (with insteon power outlets) so that when some one turns the lights on in the stairwell it will turn them on as well (and then off when no-one is up there).

So in short, insteon is expensive but it is awesome!!!!

*Note you have to have neutral wires in order for insteon to work (some older home apparently don't have them).

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you happen to have the model number of the RF to Insteon convertor?
I was going to get the 2411R IR to Insteon convertor and just put it near my harmony RF extender if I go that route. Price tag is at $270 right now in my smarthome cart. I'm still debating...

-Aaron
Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Do you happen to have the model number of the RF to Insteon convertor?
I was going to get the 2411R IR to Insteon convertor and just put it near my harmony RF extender if I go that route. Price tag is at $270 right now in my smarthome cart. I'm still debating...

Wasn't paying attention when I typed that, it is the IR to insteon converter that I have. Same one you have listed:
http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLin...nverter/p.aspx

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDeuce View Post

Wasn't paying attention when I typed that, it is the IR to insteon converter that I have. Same one you have listed:
http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLin...nverter/p.aspx

Oh ok, got my hopes up there

On another note - the switches come apart VERY easily... Just 4 little tabs to lightly push on and it pops off:

Then the plastic comes apart into 2 pieces with 4 more little tabs:

I just need to tape across the IR sensor and I'll be spraying it black...

-Aaron
Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wife used one of her scrapbooking machines to cut me some strips just a bit smaller than the IR windows on the switches - and even though it is midnight I went out to the yard and sprayed on the first coat of flat black...

If you are curious... The switches work just fine without the plastic - they just look scary;

-Aaron
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am headed to HD Monday to buy these and was just wondering how I was going to paint them black. I have one downstairs so I knew they didn't stock black at the store I go to. Thanks for the write up