UNDECIDED 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking for opinions on those of you that have owned or currently own chairs with buttkickers installed.
I would like to know if you felt it was worth the expense or effort installing them and if you would do it again if you were starting over with your theatre seating options.
I have never sat in a chair with these installed but am intrigued enough that I would consider retrofitting them into the chairs that I have.

My Vintage style Home Theatre Build thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1400234/vintage-look-diy-theatre-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was hoping for a response to your question. I was wondering the same thing.
post #3 of 62 Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have 4 buttkicker advanced installed in my 4 theater chairs. I love them. Do yourself a favor and find a place where you can try them out. I find that people who sit in my chairs love them or hate them. Most however love them. I dont have them on all the time. They are great for action but for a comedy i usually turn them off. Before i bought my 4 fusion escapes with the buttkickers installed from Roman i had 3 chairs with aura shakers i installed myself that i thought were good until i got my new chairs with the buttkickers. Parts express sells plate amps that work great with them since the buttkicker amps are never available.
LL
LL

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #4 of 62 Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked: 32
I have 2 Aura bass shakers in my recliner w/Parts Express plate amp. Not for use all the time but highly recommend for action at moderate volume levels.
post #5 of 62 Old 04-01-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully more people will chime in with their opinions. Unfortunately, all the Buttkicker retailers are at opposite ends of the country from me. The closest ones are 12 - 14 hour drives away. I won't be able to find some to try out very easily.
What kind of a price tag am I looking at for the amp and wireless setup for 4 seats? $1000-1200 seem correct?

post #6 of 62 Old 04-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Liked: 32
$500-$700...
post #7 of 62 Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

C'mon all you Buttkicker owners (past & present). I know you are out there.
#315+ views and only 4 votes.
Help a guy out here......

post #8 of 62 Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM

I've had Buttkicker in my four home theater seats for five years. I think they are best for action type movies and concert DVDs. If the movie/DVD doesn't have a lot of low end sound (bass notes, explosions, etc.) then their insn't much to experience with the Buttkickers. Some movies, the original Transformers for example, can almost overload your senses with all the sounds and sensations. In other movies (3:10 to Yuma), you don't even know the Buttkickers are there until late in the movie when the train starts to pull into the station. Then you feel the train before you even see it! Buttkickers are about adding a third dimension - tactile - to the normal audio and video you expect in a home theater. They definitely enhance the realism of the movie experience - you literally "feel" like part of the movie. I've demo'ed these in my home for years and never found anyone who didn't like the experience. Having said that, there are definitely times when you will want to turn them off. And I see these as more of a guy thing than a girl thing.

Randy Bowman
myHTseats.com
post #9 of 62 Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your insight. I was thinking that if I do decide to go this route that I would have them wired so I can turn them off when not required. It would give everyone the option to not use them if need be.
Usually it is just my wife and I watching movies but I think I would set up all 4seats with them and have the shut-off option available on them.

post #10 of 62 Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
When calibrated properly to NOT draw attention to themselves...Buttkickers are a great addition to an HT. I have two per row of three chairs and find them to be a fun addition to any movie with low enough bass to activate them (I have them crossed over at 40 Hz).

Bricktop
post #11 of 62 Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bricktop. That is my feeling... about having them integrate with the sound system and not be a gimmick that calls attention to having them under the seats. I want to enhance the overall theatre experience and not have something distracting.
I have watched some youtube videos and they have the Buttkickers bottoming out and clacking away to make the couch jump. That just seems too annoying to me. I think subtle integration is best.

post #12 of 62 Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I've had the Aura, Clark Synthesis and Buttkickers. I thought the Aura's were the weakest of the group. The Clark's were fine if used mounted to the chair. The buttkickers were by far the best of the group, not even close. I currently have two BK's mounted inside my platform, used for my second row of seats. They are a terrific option for tactile bass performance.

It might help to know from those voting if they chose "wouldn't get them again" option is the reason they don't like the feel of tactile transducers or they have found a better product?

"Retired" AVS Moderator
For Sale : JBL 8340a Speakers ($450/pair) Acoustic Panels ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...-pair-too.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #13 of 62 Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Sorry, I have to throw D-Box into the mix. I know it cost a lot more, but I am so glad I got them. Not only do you get great vibrations, they are planed and not just picked up by the bass. Much like what a discrete LEF channel is to sound. In addition you get motion that is a ton of fun. Here is a video of my kids watching the crash scene in the Flight of the Phoenix.

YouTube Link

Sorry it is longer than it should be and quality could be better. Only the 2 middle chairs have D-Box, so you can see the contrast compared to the other chairs.
post #14 of 62 Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

That video is a riot to watch. They really get tossed around. Almost need seatbelts!

post #15 of 62 Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Sorry, I have to throw D-Box into the mix. I know it cost a lot more, but I am so glad I got them. Not only do you get great vibrations, they are planed and not just picked up by the bass. Much like what a discrete LEF channel is to sound. In addition you get motion that is a ton of fun. Here is a video of my kids watching the crash scene in the Flight of the Phoenix.

YouTube Link

Sorry it is longer than it should be and quality could be better. Only the 2 middle chairs have D-Box, so you can see the contrast compared to the other chairs.

For a 2 hour movie I think this would make me crazy. Neat once in a while but not sure I want that much motion when I watch movies.

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #16 of 62 Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

For a 2 hour movie I think this would make me crazy. Neat once in a while but not sure I want that much motion when I watch movies.

I agree with you on this. It is definitely more than what I am looking for. Watching Top Gun with D-Box would make me look for the air sickness bag.

I am just looking to expand the theatre experience but not be too distracting.

post #17 of 62 Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

One last post and then I will shut up . That is one of the most intense clips I have seen in D-Box. Most movies don't move that much and you don't move during the whole movie. The motion is very intelligent, and I often forget I am in a D-Box seat (too immersed in the movie). I would say try/demo it sometime if you can. I used to think it was a gimmick until I tried it.

Anyway, OP, good luck. You're on the right path. I agree that tactical adds a whole new level.
post #18 of 62 Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Absolutely one of the best value vs. cost items I have in my theater. And one of the things that gets talked about most by guests.

Highly recommend.
post #19 of 62 Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Only 15 people have or had them in the past on the forum? I would have thought there would be more responses. Perhaps they are not as popular an item as I thought.

post #20 of 62 Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 12
I've got 11 Aura bass shakers in my living room HT, & 3 more in my bedroom HT chair, along with 12 Aura Pro NIB awaiting installation sometime/someplace else. Had them for 7-8 years & love 'em. They're the most popular additions I've ever made to any of my systems.
post #21 of 62 Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg58 View Post

Only 15 people have or had them in the past on the forum? I would have thought there would be more responses. Perhaps they are not as popular an item as I thought.

This is one of the least visited forums on AVS. If you use the search engine in HT construction and subwoofers forum ...you'll find a lot of information and feedback on the buttkicker (no need to repost another poll, this topic and feedback is readily available in existing threads). ...like this one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=buttkicker

If you go to subwoofer forum and use advance search, buttkicker has your search word, title search only...you'll find 137 threads dedicated to the topic. In some of the threads, you'll find comparisons. But, I would think it's obvious from the sampling you have hear, BK is the perferred transducer.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #22 of 62 Old 04-11-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks rboster. I never even thought they would be in a subwoofer section. I will have lots of reading to do now.

post #23 of 62 Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg58 View Post

Thanks rboster. I never even thought they would be in a subwoofer section. I will have lots of reading to do now.

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers is the title of that forum. The transducers in the title stands for tactile transducers, which the technical category for buttkickers, clark and aura products.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #24 of 62 Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
have them, and would do it again if i started over
6x buttkicker full sized versions, 1 in each of my 6 recliners. tweaked properly, they supplement my 2x danley dts-10 subs quite well
post #25 of 62 Old 04-22-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I had them in my last theater (pre-installed in Berkline recliners), and I plan to have them in my next. I had 4 BK units driven by a BK1000 amp. The temptation is to turn them up too much. They should be set a a fairly subtle level, and then I found that I didn't have to turn them on and off, since the LFEs are not there unless they are appropriate for the content.

Highly recommend the Buttkickers.
post #26 of 62 Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Yes 10000 times over.

I recently went to the theaters to watch wrath of the titans... It was cool, but I couldn't help it think the entire time "I can't wait to watch this in my theater".

They don't need to be mounted to the chair. I have one mounted to my couch, and two others with the furniture attachment and you can't tell the difference. But, mounting them puts it out of view.
post #27 of 62 Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Had the Aura's, even moded to make them better. Tried the Buttkickrs and never looked back! Awesome!
post #28 of 62 Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight View Post

Absolutely one of the best value vs. cost items I have in my theater. And one of the things that gets talked about most by guests.

Highly recommend.

I wholeheartedly agree. They have to be tuned properly, if not the Buttkickers can be overbearing just like anything else. You turn them up for gaming, dial it in for an action movie to complement the sub and leave it off for comedies or dramas but this is only necessary if you do not set the crossover low. If you set the crossover at around 40hz then you do not need to touch it.

It's nice to have the ability to properly tune them to individual tastes. Saying the Buttkickers would be a mere distraction is inaccurate.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
post #29 of 62 Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info. Do you have the Buttkicker minis, advanced model or the LFE model. I was thinking of going with 4 advanced models (one for each seat) and power then with one amp. Would the minis do the trick or are they just too small to be effective?

post #30 of 62 Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

How good is your current sub? How heavy are your chairs? The minis should do unless you are looking for more extension and output to either compliment the sub or fill in because the sub is lacking at the lowest octave.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page