Lowboy for audio equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a good cabinet to house my audio equipment in. It would need to be a maximum of 32" high and have space large enough to house an Emotiva XMA-5, Pioneer Elite VSX-32, PS3 and a couple of other small pieces of equipment. The units I have seen recently aren't deep enough to house the amp or AVR. I would like to keep it under $1000 at the most. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've found a couple but the ones over 20" deep seem to cross the $1000 mark. Take a look at BDI, Salamander Design, JSP Industries.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz97 View Post

I am looking for a good cabinet to house my audio equipment in. It would need to be a maximum of 32" high and have space large enough to house an Emotiva XMA-5, Pioneer Elite VSX-32, PS3 and a couple of other small pieces of equipment. The units I have seen recently aren't deep enough to house the amp or AVR. I would like to keep it under $1000 at the most. Any ideas?

I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to find something to house my Sherbourn amp + other items. Big problem I came across is the depth of the units available. Standout designs probably comes the closest to what I need but alas they are north of $1000.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
DIY?

Lowes' sells oak and birch project panels in 2'x2' and 2'x4' sizes. Both 0.5" and 0.75" thicknesses available. Finish to taste. I think the 2'x4'x0.75" panels were in the $20ish range the last time I checked. Lowes' also carries iron on veneer edge banding if birch and oak species if you want to hide the ply edges. Or you can pick an edge moulding of some sort, but mitering the corners will increase the degree of difficulty.

Vertical spacing can be done with all-thread rods, nuts, and washers. Examples (just fhe first page I found via Google). This will give you a bit of adjustability for the middle shelves if you create more than a two shelf unit. Or, you could use something like this from Rockler for fixed spacing.

-Brent
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I considered the DYI route but because I don’t have the necessary tools, space/workshop nor (more importantly) the time I ordered one custom made. Made from Alder wood, espresso stained and got it delivered all for $1000. As it was a local delivery only cost about $70. Dimensions were 26” high, 42” wide and 24” deep with 2 glass doors and adjustable shelves. I’ll post a pic later...

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page