Movie Posters and Light boxes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Two quick questions:

After reading past similar posts I am guessing that 27"X 40" is the standard size of movie posters that most companies sell and that is the size of light boxes to buy?

What are a few of the more popular on line sites to shop for these two sided movie posters? Looking for the two sided kind that would look good in a light box...

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Liked: 10
Yes, 27x40 and 27x41 is the standard depending on your frame.

Try allposters.com they have a double-sided category. I typically get mine off ebay.

My new site is up: http://www.MyPreMovie.com/ - the ultimate in pre-movie showing, it's a fun hobby!
post #3 of 34 Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTal View Post

Yes, 27x40 and 27x41 is the standard depending on your frame.

Try allposters.com they have a double-sided category. I typically get mine off ebay.

Thanks I will give it a try.
post #4 of 34 Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
27x40 is the standard size for the vasst majority of double sided posters, but I have at least one (Stargate) that is 27x41.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

27x40 is the standard size for the vasst majority of double sided posters, but I have at least one (Stargate) that is 27x41.

Jayn_j,

Thanks. I seen on some other threads that you collect posters, very cool! Where on the Internet can I find nice double sided posters that have a big selection. Amazon has a lot of DS posters but there were not all of the ones I was looking for. Another site had some cool ones but were about $20.00. I do not think they were DS. I guess those are the best for light boxes.

Thanks,

Jim
post #6 of 34 Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jim,

Not sure where you live, but in Milwaukee or any big city, the best cost effective solution is Craigslist.

Movie theaters give posters to employees, who often turn around and sell them on craigslist. Our local list has one guy currently selling 100 posters at about $5/ea. You can bring him down on price if you buy several.

You can develop a relationship with a theater manager and sometimes get free posters, but probably not the desirable ones.

The eBay sellers do this and then mark up the posters for redistribution. The thing is that the studios do not sell directly to the public or to the dealers. This is advertising material that goes to the theaters, and that is where you need to find it.

Two reliable eBay sellers are ddilts399 and pict_res. BTW, that last one is a pun:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
pict_res = U ought to be in pictures
post #7 of 34 Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Jim,

Not sure where you live, but in Milwaukee or any big city, the best cost effective solution is Craigslist.

Movie theaters give posters to employees, who often turn around and sell them on craigslist. Our local list has one guy currently selling 100 posters at about $5/ea. You can bring him down on price if you buy several.

You can develop a relationship with a theater manager and sometimes get free posters, but probably not the desirable ones.

The eBay sellers do this and then mark up the posters for redistribution. The thing is that the studios do not sell directly to the public or to the dealers. This is advertising material that goes to the theaters, and that is where you need to find it.

Two reliable eBay sellers are ddilts399 and pict_res. BTW, that last one is a pun:
Spoiler  
pict_res = U ought to be in pictures

Thanks, I will start with Craigslist and then check eBay for those two sellers. Who is the guy in your area on craig's list in case the first two do not turn up with positive results?

Cheers,
Jim
post #8 of 34 Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

Thanks, I will start with Craigslist and then check eBay for those two sellers. Who is the guy in your area on craig's list in case the first two do not turn up with positive results?

Cheers,
Jim

I've never bought from him and cannot comment on what he has. My own collection is mostly pre-1980.

Just go to milwaukee.craigslist.org and do a search for 'movie poster'. He will stick out as he lists every poster as a separate item.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've never bought from him and cannot comment on what he has. My own collection is mostly pre-1980.

Just go to milwaukee.craigslist.org and do a search for 'movie poster'. He will stick out as he lists every poster as a separate item.

Thanks... I will...
post #10 of 34 Old 05-04-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Found this site. They have a good selection of double sided posters for light boxes. Any one have and experience with this site?

http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MP...Awakening.html

http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MP...attleship.html

http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MP...Star_Trek.html

What makes the first two under thirty and the third $70.00? How popular the movie / poster is?

I like these three to start off with...

Thanks,

Jim
post #11 of 34 Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found this site. They have a good selection of double sided posters for light boxes. Any one have and experience with this site?
What makes the first two under thirty and the third $70.00? How popular the movie / poster is?

I like these three to start off with...

Thanks,

Jim

Again, I am not the greatest expert on modern posters, and there are a lot of folks who can probably give better answers over on www.allposterforum.com

movieposter.com sells both legitimate and repro posters, but is good about listing the repros as such. Their prices tend to be a bit high, and you could likely get those first two for $10-15 with some searching. Of course, this is a no-fuss way of getting them, and there are a lot of other issues such as shipping costs and quality of packing. Many dealers rely on those triangle tubes from the post office and they simply don't stand up to the wear and tear. You end up with a wrinkled or mangled poster.

Why a certain poster sells for more is a complex subject. Probably best to say "magic" or "witchcraft". It is usually a matter of supply and demand. The Star Trek you showed was an advance poster ("Coming Soon"). They tend to sell for more as fewer are printed. Sometimes a poster is recalled, and then everybody has to have one and the price skyrockets into the hundreds of dollars. Some examples are the Pulp Fiction one with the Lucky Strike cigarette pack. RJ Reynolds sued and they were forced to reissue with a generic cigarette pack. Another was the Dark Knight "Why So Serious" poster that was recalled after Heath ledger's death. Yet another was the Dick Tracy with Madonna and the caption "Mind if I call you Dick?"

Sometimes a poster for a bad movie goes crazy because of rarity and design. Recent examples include "Hobo With a Shotgun" and "Red Tails". But usually it is difficult to tell ahead of time what is going to start a frenzy.
post #12 of 34 Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Again, I am not the greatest expert on modern posters, and there are a lot of folks who can probably give better answers over on www.allposterforum.com

movieposter.com sells both legitimate and repro posters, but is good about listing the repros as such. Their prices tend to be a bit high, and you could likely get those first two for $10-15 with some searching. Of course, this is a no-fuss way of getting them, and there are a lot of other issues such as shipping costs and quality of packing. Many dealers rely on those triangle tubes from the post office and they simply don't stand up to the wear and tear. You end up with a wrinkled or mangled poster.

Why a certain poster sells for more is a complex subject. Probably best to say "magic" or "witchcraft". It is usually a matter of supply and demand. The Star Trek you showed was an advance poster ("Coming Soon"). They tend to sell for more as fewer are printed. Sometimes a poster is recalled, and then everybody has to have one and the price skyrockets into the hundreds of dollars. Some examples are the Pulp Fiction one with the Lucky Strike cigarette pack. RJ Reynolds sued and they were forced to reissue with a generic cigarette pack. Another was the Dark Knight "Why So Serious" poster that was recalled after Heath ledger's death. Yet another was the Dick Tracy with Madonna and the caption "Mind if I call you Dick?"

Sometimes a poster for a bad movie goes crazy because of rarity and design. Recent examples include "Hobo With a Shotgun" and "Red Tails". But usually it is difficult to tell ahead of time what is going to start a frenzy.

Thanks for the info especially on movieposter.com. I will start with them first and buy a few and see how I like them.
post #13 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What is so great about an original double sided poster, for example, as opposed to the reproduction ones? Obviously, I understand it from a collecting standpoint and sort of a movie memorabilia standpoint.

But when the double sided poster is sitting inside a light box poster frame on the wall, is the original significantly better in terms of color or overall quality compared to a repro? Or is there absolutely no difference, for the most part?
post #14 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
PacMan2006,
Quote:

But when the double sided poster is sitting inside a light box poster frame on the wall, is the original significantly better in terms of color or overall quality compared to a repro? Or is there absolutely no difference, for the most part?

You are correct. "Original" normally means that a poster was run/printed with the original posters that were hung in movie theaters. Some of the posters may have actually been hung in a theater. Reproductions are run after this first run. You will find that some reproductions are of lesser quality than others, especially in the case of single-sided posters. There is even one company that is purchasing posters, taking photos of them and printing them on a digital printer and selling them. The quality is not the greatest, as you can imagine.

But if you find a double-sided poster that is not an "original" you should be safe in that the quality of the image in your illuminated poster case should look fine and as good as an "original." I think it's much more difficult to fake a double-sided poster correctly. Therefore you won't find as many poor quality versions out there as you do with single-sided posters.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #15 of 34 Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Ken nailed it pretty much right on the head.

The vast majority of reproductions are single sided. You do not want to put a single sided poster into a lightbox. It will look washed out. That was the whole point of creating the double sided ones, so it is best to search these out.
post #16 of 34 Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLerch View Post

PacMan2006,

You are correct. "Original" normally means that a poster was run/printed with the original posters that were hung in movie theaters. Some of the posters may have actually been hung in a theater. Reproductions are run after this first run. You will find that some reproductions are of lesser quality than others, especially in the case of single-sided posters. There is even one company that is purchasing posters, taking photos of them and printing them on a digital printer and selling them. The quality is not the greatest, as you can imagine.

But if you find a double-sided poster that is not an "original" you should be safe in that the quality of the image in your illuminated poster case should look fine and as good as an "original." I think it's much more difficult to fake a double-sided poster correctly. Therefore you won't find as many poor quality versions out there as you do with single-sided posters.

Quote:

Ken nailed it pretty much right on the head.

The vast majority of reproductions are single sided. You do not want to put a single sided poster into a lightbox. It will look washed out. That was the whole point of creating the double sided ones, so it is best to search these out.

Thanks guys for the movie poster 101 course. Since I will be buying two light boxes on Monday it is very helpful to know what I should be looking for in movie posters.
post #17 of 34 Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I am looking for a poster case that would have separate sleeves inside to store each movie poster that was not being displayed in a light box.

Any ideas on where to buy one?

Thanks....
post #18 of 34 Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am looking for a poster case that would have separate sleeves inside to store each movie poster that was not being displayed in a light box.

Any ideas on where to buy one?

Thanks....

Not an easy answer. Many collectors will end up eventually buying a used "flat file" off of craigslist or ebay. You can usually get 5 drawers for $100-150, although they can go for less if you are patient. These are the file cabinets that used to be used for blueprints and which are mostly obsolete these days. They have brands like Mayline and are of heavy steel construction. Make sure you get one with drawers large enough to handle posters as they come in several sizes.
Here are some current listings in Houston:
http://houston.craigslist.org/bfs/2995580770.html (a tad pricey, but in nice shape. 10 drawers)
http://houston.craigslist.org/for/2932481322.html (cheaper, but drawers and would need some clean up)

Sleeves for posters can be had in poly or mylar from bags unlimited
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-433-prints-poster.aspx
or uline

You can also get flat storage boxes from bags unlimited:
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-339-storage-boxes.aspx

Uline has this stuff as well, but it is harder to search it out, so I didn't bother.

Beginners usually just keep the posters in the rolled tubes of flat packaging that they came in though.
post #19 of 34 Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not an easy answer. Many collectors will end up eventually buying a used "flat file" off of craigslist or ebay. You can usually get 5 drawers for $100-150, although they can go for less if you are patient. These are the file cabinets that used to be used for blueprints and which are mostly obsolete these days. They have brands like Mayline and are of heavy steel construction. Make sure you get one with drawers large enough to handle posters as they come in several sizes.
Here are some current listings in Houston:
http://houston.craigslist.org/bfs/2995580770.html (a tad pricey, but in nice shape. 10 drawers)
http://houston.craigslist.org/for/2932481322.html (cheaper, but drawers and would need some clean up)

Sleeves for posters can be had in poly or mylar from bags unlimited
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-433-prints-poster.aspx
or uline

You can also get flat storage boxes from bags unlimited:
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-339-storage-boxes.aspx

Uline has this stuff as well, but it is harder to search it out, so I didn't bother.

Beginners usually just keep the posters in the rolled tubes of flat packaging that they came in though.

Thanks for all of the info on storing posters. I like the file cabinet but it would take up space so I might lean towards the card board box that holds 25 posters. It will slide under a bed easily and not take up room space.

I was actually thinking there might be a leather binder that had a zipper and when opened up it would have plastic sleeves inside that would hold each poster.

So I guess movie posters come rolled up in a tube and I am gathering from what you are saying about beginners putting posters back in the tubes that would be less favorable then laying them out flat for storage. How do you get them to lay flat when they are have been rolled and still want to go back to that state? Sit some books on it for awhile?

Thanks again,

Jim
post #20 of 34 Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was actually thinking there might be a leather binder that had a zipper and when opened up it would have plastic sleeves inside that would hold each poster.

So I guess movie posters come rolled up in a tube and I am gathering from what you are saying about beginners putting posters back in the tubes that would be less favorable then laying them out flat for storage. How do you get them to lay flat when they are have been rolled and still want to go back to that state? Sit some books on it for awhile?

What you are describing is called a portfolio. I have never seen one that big. They usually max out at 24x36. I do know of someone who had custom sleeves made and then created the covers from foamboard. IF you are interested, I could dig up a link.

Flattening a poster requires patience. You remove it from the tube and let it unwind for a day or so. You can then unroll it and let it roll itself back up. After you repeat this a few times, you will get a poster that can be flattened. I generally keep them flat by adding them to a stack of already flattened posters. Weight is OK, but you need broad surfaces and even pressure to do it right. If you try to rush the process, you get waves in the poster, or in the worst case actual fold marks.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What you are describing is called a portfolio. I have never seen one that big. They usually max out at 24x36. I do know of someone who had custom sleeves made and then created the covers from foamboard. IF you are interested, I could dig up a link.

Flattening a poster requires patience. You remove it from the tube and let it unwind for a day or so. You can then unroll it and let it roll itself back up. After you repeat this a few times, you will get a poster that can be flattened. I generally keep them flat by adding them to a stack of already flattened posters. Weight is OK, but you need broad surfaces and even pressure to do it right. If you try to rush the process, you get waves in the poster, or in the worst case actual fold marks.

Thanks for the info on flattening a poster....
post #22 of 34 Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Just to provide other options for movie poster, last year I was researching movie poster retailers, and I found that Colin Macleod's site provided what I was looking for. He was very responsive to my questions, as I was very concerned about buying an original poster.

As of last week, his personal site was down, but I believe he still has an Ebay store. The name of his store on ebay is Kymar... (might be Kymar's Stuff).
post #23 of 34 Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM

By the way, one of the previous posters was correct that double-sided movie posters, which are made for lightboxes, are expensive to reproduce. Thus, if you are buying a double-sided poster, it is reasonable to expect it is original (assuming it is from a reputable dealer).
post #24 of 34 Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl523 View Post

By the way, one of the previous posters was correct that double-sided movie posters, which are made for lightboxes, are expensive to reproduce. Thus, if you are buying a double-sided poster, it is reasonable to expect it is original (assuming it is from a reputable dealer).

Thanks for the info....
post #25 of 34 Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Just order two light boxes from Bass! Looking forward for its arrival next week... I already received my first of 6 posters that I ordered and it is being flatten as we speak, as it waits on its new light box to arrive..

Here is the link to my new light box...

http://www.bassind.com/graphic-dispa...lumina-series/

And here is what it looks like with a poster inside. It's the one on the right...

http://www.bassind.com/graphic-dispa...s/light-boxes/

By the way they will hold the 27' X 40" posters and it is LED lit...
post #26 of 34 Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 AM

I ordered a Thor double sided poster from ddilts399 Tuesday night. Shipped Wednesday and would've been here yesterday but the ever-reliable USPS misrouted it to a different zip code so who knows when it'll arrive. $20 shipped with tracking is a good deal and he has almost 900 posters listed in his ebay store. I'll post some pictures when it arrives. I also picked up some frames from Michaels earlier in the week. 27x40 frame was buy one get one for .01! So $30 for 2 frames (they're the cheaper ones but still pretty decent).
post #27 of 34 Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan08 View Post

I ordered a Thor double sided poster from ddilts399 Tuesday night. Shipped Wednesday and would've been here yesterday but the ever-reliable USPS misrouted it to a different zip code so who knows when it'll arrive. $20 shipped with tracking is a good deal and he has almost 900 posters listed in his ebay store. I'll post some pictures when it arrives. I also picked up some frames from Michaels earlier in the week. 27x40 frame was buy one get one for .01! So $30 for 2 frames (they're the cheaper ones but still pretty decent).

Congrats on the Thor poster and frames. I bought a Thor double sided poster also from movieposters.com... Mine was not that cheap I am thinking $35.00 plus shipping. I order like 6 posters from them.

Here is the link for Thor.
http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-58955/Thor.html

Post a photo when your Thor poster arrives...
post #28 of 34 Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan08 View Post

Yep, its a lot cheaper to frame 27x40 modern posters. Michaels used to sell 27x41, but stopped carrying them 10-15 years ago.

ddilts is one of the best dealers of new material out there. He is a regular contributor on the poster forums as well.
post #29 of 34 Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yep, its a lot cheaper to frame 27x40 modern posters. Michaels used to sell 27x41, but stopped carrying them 10-15 years ago.

ddilts is one of the best dealers of new material out there. He is a regular contributor on the poster forums as well.

Thanks I will look for him on ebay...
post #30 of 34 Old 05-20-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, Michaels does carry a 27x41 frame. It is a collage frame, and you have to look for it. It can be a bit cheaper than the recommended ones, but isn't the best quality. Cheap glazing, cardboard backing, flimsy mounting points. But you can save $20 if you find it on the right sale.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page