Buyer Beware - Discount Tommy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I bought an 8 ounce popcorn cart and popper from Discount Tommy.... I did not buy it on Ebay. I bought it directly from their website. When I received it there was a small crack in the plexi glass door. I thought to myself that it wasnt bad and why return it. I will go ahead and use it. Well after a few weeks the crack got bigger. I called and sent emails to Discount Tommy. After numerous emails and phone calls I finally got someone to respond to my email. Basically they told me too bad. They wanted 20 dollars for a new door. I explained to them and sent them the pics below.... The pics clearly show that the crack is coming from where they drilled the holes for the door handle. This is a new unit. They didnt seem to care.

I had seen where the owner of Discount Tommy's had posted here before... So I sent him a PM.... NO RESPONSE!

So I wanted to let everyone know to beware. Their customer Service Sucks! I have sent several emails and left several messages asking for a supervisor. But nobody returns my calls. I asked for a supervisor and they left me on hold for 20 minutes and then I was cut off...... Their customer service people seem rude and not willing to help. It isnt the 20 dollars for the door. That is not a big deal but it is principal. They should stand behind their products. I wont buy anything else from them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I hope you paid with a credit card. Call you credit card company ASAP and get your money back.

Old info.
File a report with the Michigan BBB.
http://easternmichigan.bbb.org/

I doubted if complaining on their facebok page will help.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Discou...53691301393470

New contact info:
9855 US Highway 131 N
Mancelona, MI 49659
Phone 1 (800) 665-0728

Strange, Discount Tommy's company is no longer listed with the BBB from the thread a few years back.
Hmmm.
The first bbb weblink now points to some other company.
Here is Discount Tommy's other company, DTX International.
http://www.bbb.org/eastern-michigan/...s-mi-90005169/
They got a "F" rating.

I went to Yahoo and did a new bbb search for dtx international and now they have a grade of "A+".
Hmmm.
http://www.bbb.org/western-michigan/...na-mi-38127902
Discount Tommy popcorn machines recall.
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2009/05/cpsc-5405.html

Old "Discount Tommy" popper thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=878500&page=2

Partial info from the old thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.discounttommy.com/Shop/Co...page/contactus
http://www.discounttommy.com/Shop/Co...2/page/aboutus
contact us info says: sales@dtxinternational.com
http://www.dtxinternational.com/inde...d=15&Itemid=35

3051 Honor Drive
Rochester Hills, MI 48309
1-800-665-0728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Forehand View Post
I got a Pasadena Popper from Discount Tommy in June of last year. They advertise this machine with a 3-year warranty.

Initially, the kettle stopped heating after I made about 5 batches. This was returned and replaced with no hassle (besides having to pay the return shipping costs).

- Spike Forehand
Spike get this. Go figure the same sales@dtxinternational.com email address is on the discounttommy.com and the greatamericanpopcorn.com website. Obviously Thomas Gerard is the webmaster of both websites. Please keep us posted to your situation. You have kept records of your paypal transactions, right? This sounds like something you can report to paypal since the popper is still under warranty. If not, I'm sure there are enough members on this forum than can warn users to not buy a popper or any other products from discounttommy.com or greatamericanpopcorn.com. I would also advertise this do not buy from these two companies to other home theater websites on the web.

"If for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, please contact us at sales@dtxinternational.com and let us know before submitting your feedback. We will do everything to meet your needs. Your satisfaction is our #1 priority. It is our policy to leave positive feedback for every buyer that leaves us positive feedback."

Discounttommy.com whois info from a few years back:

Registrant:
DTX International
3227 Knoll Court
HIghland, Michigan 48356
United States

Administrative Contact:
Gerard, Thomas tgerard@discounttommy.com
DTX International
3227 Knoll Court
HIghland, Michigan 48356
United States
8006650728 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Gerard, Thomas tgerard@discounttommy.com
DTX International
3227 Knoll Court
HIghland, Michigan 48356
United States
8006650728 Fax --

Greatamericanpopcorn.com whois info:

Registrant:
Discount Tommy LLC
3051 Honor Drive
Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309
United States

Administrative Contact:
Gerard, Thomas discounttommy@hotmail.com
Discount Tommy LLC
3051 Honor Drive
United States
(248) 841-4392

Technical Contact:
Gerard, Thomas discounttommy@hotmail.com
Discount Tommy LLC
3051 Honor Drive
United States
(248) 841-4392
post #3 of 30 Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
i think you would have gotten a better response if you didn't wait a few weeks to report a problem, at that time, most people assume that customers damaged it.
post #4 of 30 Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe. But if u look at the pics it is obvious the crack came from the hole drilled for the handle. Also it is a 20 dollar part. Probably cost them 10. Not smart business to make a customer unhappy over 10 dollars.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Also if I had known the crack would get bigger I would of called them right away. That's what I get for being a nice guy an trying to use the damaged product. I won't be nice again.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

Maybe. But if u look at the pics it is obvious the crack came from the hole drilled for the handle. Also it is a 20 dollar part. Probably cost them 10. Not smart business to make a customer unhappy over 10 dollars.

Agree, especially when you're marketing to a tiny segment. I do think you shouldn't have chanced it and complained right away. But I can see why you would on a big item that is tough to send back if they end up wanting the whole thing back.

IMO. As much as it sucks buy the $20.00 part. Chalk it up to a life experiance and cheap lesson learned.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yep... That is what I will do.... I just wanted to make sure others knew of my bad experience. Maybe someone can learn from my mistake. Maybe they will choose a better company that has good customer serivce.
post #8 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went to their Facebook page and posted a link to this thread. They instantly deleted it but a supervisor finally called me back after 4 days of messages. I asked him why he didn't call me back. He said "I was being a problem and they did not want to deal with me". Wow what customer service. He went on to tell me I was being a jerk and an idiot. He told me what a big company they were and how my business did not matter to them. They should put that on their website. I would of gave my business to someone that wanted it. I finally had enough and told him to "f" off and then hung up. I can't believe it. I have never been treated so bad.

I understand I should of said something when I got the machine but look at the pics. It is clearly a defect. I would not treat my customer that way over a 10 dollar part. I will never try to use a product as is again. I never thought the crack would get bigger.

Oh yeah. FYI. I didn't know this. They have a 5 year warranty on everything but the glass, kettle, light and warmer. WTF? That leaves the wheels. Lol.

Buyer Beware. Spend the extra money and get your machine from a reputable company recommended by someone here.
post #9 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 02:44 PM

I have purchased several items from Tommy. We have always received great service. I recommend all my friends and family when they are in the market. I for one will not be swayed by one negative remark.
post #10 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattuck View Post

I have purchased several items from Tommy. We have always received great service. I recommend all my friends and family when they are in the market. I for one will not be swayed by one negative remark.

LOL. Really? This is your first post here. I am sure u are the customer service guy that told me he was going to join and post here.

If not glad u had a good experience. I can only tell my story. It is up to u if u want to chance it or not.
post #11 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Buyer Beware. Spend the extra money and get your machine from a reputable company recommended by someone here.

Go with a Paragon or Gold Medal machine. Great customer service and Made in the USA machines, not the cheap Chinese crap.
post #12 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 180
Quote:

Tommy?? Is that you??

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #13 of 30 Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Always funny to see someone go through the hassle of registering just to make one post defending an e-tailer.
post #14 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted a few days ago on fb and posted this thread. That message is gone too.

Quote:

Well I went to their Facebook page and posted a link to this thread. They instantly deleted it but a supervisor finally called me back after 4 days of messages. I asked him why he didn't call me back. He said "I was being a problem and they did not want to deal with me". Wow what customer service. He went on to tell me I was being a jerk and an idiot. He told me what a big company they were and how my business did not matter to them. They should put that on their website. I would of gave my business to someone that wanted it. I finally had enough and told him to "f" off and then hung up. I can't believe it. I have never been treated so bad.

I understand I should of said something when I got the machine but look at the pics. It is clearly a defect. I would not treat my customer that way over a 10 dollar part. I will never try to use a product as is again. I never thought the crack would get bigger.

Oh yeah. FYI. I didn't know this. They have a 5 year warranty on everything but the glass, kettle, light and warmer. WTF? That leaves the wheels. Lol.

post #15 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

File a report with the Michigan BBB.
http://www.bbb.org/western-michigan/...na-mi-38127902

New contact info:
9855 US Highway 131 N
Mancelona, MI 49659
Phone 1 (800) 665-0728

DTX International, Discount Tommy, Great Northern Popcorn same owner.
http://www.greatnorthernpopcorn.com/
http://www.discounttommy.com
http://dtxinternational.com/
post #16 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Phew, i'm glad to hear you give them such high regard. Nevermind the fact that you just created your account and this is your one and only post.

I for one will never buy from your company just because i see how stupid you think people are to believe your crap.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post

Phew, i'm glad to hear you give them such high regard. Nevermind the fact that you just created your account and this is your one and only post.

I for one will never buy from your company just because i see how stupid you think people are to believe your crap.

X2. If a company doesn't respect their customers, then they don't deserve my business.
post #18 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 AM

I only give one phone call/one chance to rectify an issue. The next phone call is my CC company. Easy. no Stress.
post #19 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I bought one from wallmart and it was dropped shipped and i was given the wrong order i should get mine by friday. I ordered one in black with the cart fingers will be crossed. On the postive note i was told if i dont get an RA number with in 3weeks i was free to do wat i like with the ice maker machine.

Ordered from Wallmart who ordered and shipped from Wayfair. And yes i already read how wayfair can be kind of sketchy...
post #20 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Okay, first off, yes I just registered yesterday, and yes, I registered to specifically post on this thread. Just FYI, this machine was delivered March 23rd, 2012. With that said...

I find it crazy all the "Jump on the bandwagon" people who read the first post are slamming the seller of the machine. When the OP clearly stated:

Quote:

So I bought an 8 ounce popcorn cart and popper from Discount Tommy.... I did not buy it on Ebay. I bought it directly from their website. When I received it there was a small crack in the plexi glass door. I thought to myself that it wasnt bad and why return it. I will go ahead and use it.

So it was BROKE, but you decided NOT TO RETURN it? Really? Really? You come across as the kind of guy that would tolerate nothing less than perfection, you certainly expect it out of others.

Quote:

Well after a few weeks the crack got bigger...

A few weeks? Six weeks you mean? Thirty days is the cut off to return shipping damaged items (or if you prefer, call this one a factory defect). Either way, it is clearly stated in our return policy. All it would have taken as a digital photo of the door sent to our customer service and an ABSOLUTELY FREE, SHIPPING PAID door would have been sent to you. Customer service sucks, huh?

Quote:

I called and sent emails to Discount Tommy. After numerous emails and phone calls I finally got someone to respond to my email. Basically they told me too bad. They wanted 20 dollars for a new door. I explained to them and sent them the pics below.... The pics clearly show that the crack is coming from where they drilled the holes for the door handle. This is a new unit. They didnt seem to care.

We do care, and we stand behind every unit we sell. We offer replacement parts, repairs, and offer expert help where needed. We sell thousands upon thousands of these machines, but if every time someone tightened down the screws on their handle and cracked the plexiglass over a month after they purchased the machine, we would go broke. Glass (or plexiglass) doesn't just break. It is either not broken, or broken. If it was broke when you got it, and you waited over a month to say something about it, why is this our fault?

You called, made demands, demanded to speak to management. You treated the customer service ladies poorly, to the point where they didn't want to deal with you, sure. Who would? These are nice ladies and don't deserve to be treated that way, no matter what your perceived reasoning might be. They stated our policy, and explained how you were outside of the window of opportunity, so to speak, and if you wanted a new door we would gladly sell you one. This was not good enough for you. You kept calling back, and when you didn't get the answer you were looking for you posted your tantrum here.

Quote:

So I wanted to let everyone know to beware. Their customer Service Sucks! I have sent several emails and left several messages asking for a supervisor. But nobody returns my calls. I asked for a supervisor and they left me on hold for 20 minutes and then I was cut off...... Their customer service people seem rude and not willing to help. It isnt the 20 dollars for the door. That is not a big deal but it is principal. They should stand behind their products. I wont buy anything else from them.

You sir, are entitled to your opinion. But when I heard you on the phone you sounded like a whiney little kid that wasn't getting your way. Your posts here back that up. But honestly, here is what I think happened...

I think you bought the machine, and after using it and using it a lot (which tells me you like the machine), you found the handle on the door to be loose and you tightened it up (too much). I say this because the first picture you show that is supposed to be evidence of the initial crack in the door looks to be on a machine that has been used, for say 45 days or so. I bet you cracked the door, then decided to try to get a new free door. When that didn't work out for you, you decided to turn up the heat, post on a public forum to show everyone what a$$holes we are, and to make us regret not bowing down to the great rhinomike.
post #21 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
"had known the crack would get bigger "

It sounds as if you have no experience with plexiglass/acrylic. There is a difference. Both have very unforgiving fracture toughness values. Any stress in the area around the crack will cause it to grow.

If they won't help make your own. Keep in mind when drilling holes in these materials the drill bit geometry will need some adjustment to prevent cracking.
It needs to be ground for a "zero rake" geometry.

Should have called them as soon as you unpacked it..that long after receiving it would make many unwilling to help, not that it is justification for poor customer service.. Your calls should have been answered right away.
Good Luck.
post #22 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMX View Post

you decided to turn up the heat, post on a public forum to show everyone what a$$holes we are

No, YOU did that all by yourself.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #23 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

No, YOU did that all by yourself.

And you weren't there.
post #24 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And you weren't there.

lol, and never will be

post #25 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

A professional company, with competent staff may in fact register on one of the world's biggest AV forums to reply to an unsatisfied customer, but instead of flat out calling the customer a liar, the reply might have been something like this:

"Hello everyone, I am authorized to reply on behalf of Discount Tommy regarding this thread started by an unhappy customer. Even though the problem with the customer's purchase wasn't reported to us until well after our 30 day warranty period, we would like to try to come to a satisfactory arrangement with the customer, so we don't lose a valued customer.

Because the issue wasn't reported to us before our store policy 30 day warranty period, it's highly unlikely that we will send a replacement glass at 100% our cost, but we believe that we can come to a compromise that keeps our customer happy.

Please email me at KidMX@TommyDisc.... so we may discuss and resolve this issue.

Thank you,
KidMX"

post #26 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Kidmx, even if you're right you should still "privately" discuss this with rhino before posting something like that.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #27 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay, first off, yes I just registered yesterday, and yes, I registered to specifically post on this thread. Just FYI, this machine was delivered March 23rd, 2012. With that said...

I find it crazy all the "Jump on the bandwagon" people who read the first post are slamming the seller of the machine. When the OP clearly stated:

So it was BROKE, but you decided NOT TO RETURN it? Really? Really? You come across as the kind of guy that would tolerate nothing less than perfection, you certainly expect it out of others.

A few weeks? Six weeks you mean? Thirty days is the cut off to return shipping damaged items (or if you prefer, call this one a factory defect). Either way, it is clearly stated in our return policy. All it would have taken as a digital photo of the door sent to our customer service and an ABSOLUTELY FREE, SHIPPING PAID door would have been sent to you. Customer service sucks, huh?

We do care, and we stand behind every unit we sell. We offer replacement parts, repairs, and offer expert help where needed. We sell thousands upon thousands of these machines, but if every time someone tightened down the screws on their handle and cracked the plexiglass over a month after they purchased the machine, we would go broke. Glass (or plexiglass) doesn't just break. It is either not broken, or broken. If it was broke when you got it, and you waited over a month to say something about it, why is this our fault?

You called, made demands, demanded to speak to management. You treated the customer service ladies poorly, to the point where they didn't want to deal with you, sure. Who would? These are nice ladies and don't deserve to be treated that way, no matter what your perceived reasoning might be. They stated our policy, and explained how you were outside of the window of opportunity, so to speak, and if you wanted a new door we would gladly sell you one. This was not good enough for you. You kept calling back, and when you didn't get the answer you were looking for you posted your tantrum here.

You sir, are entitled to your opinion. But when I heard you on the phone you sounded like a whiney little kid that wasn't getting your way. Your posts here back that up. But honestly, here is what I think happened...

I think you bought the machine, and after using it and using it a lot (which tells me you like the machine), you found the handle on the door to be loose and you tightened it up (too much). I say this because the first picture you show that is supposed to be evidence of the initial crack in the door looks to be on a machine that has been used, for say 45 days or so. I bet you cracked the door, then decided to try to get a new free door. When that didn't work out for you, you decided to turn up the heat, post on a public forum to show everyone what a$$holes we are, and to make us regret not bowing down to the great rhinomike.

I wanted to make sure this was copied.....Now you cant delete it later on.... I want everyone to see what an ass you are. Your attitude says quite a bit about the training Discount Tommy customer service people receive....

This is what made me mad... See this guys attitude? I wasnt mad before. Just thought it was wrong. Then I get this guy on the phone and he is an ass. I am the customer and I am awlays right.... I shouldnt be treated this way.

I knew he would come one here and show the world what an ass he is... I could tell by the way he spoke to me on the phone. Oh by the way... I was NEVER rude to the girls on the phone. Not once. Nor were they rude to me. they handled themselves far bettewr than you did.... They nicely told me too bad so sad. I just figured they werent allowed to help me so I asked for a supervisor. I wasnt even mad until I got on the phone with you. Just disapointed in the customer service. What made me start to get mad was 4 days of calling and nobody calling me back. But your attitude is what really made me mad.

Now lets evealute your theory on what happend. I made up a story to get a free door... Really? We are on a AV Forum..... If you look at some of my past threads.... I just had a $100k home theater built. I added close to $15k worth of home theater equipement all done by a professional instead of saving money and doing it myself. I added $15k worth of games in the room along with $5k worth of custome seating. Do I sound like I need a free 20 dollar piece of plastic? Do you really think I need to do all of this and lie to get a 20 dollar piece of plastic for free.... REALLY? I just dont like to be cheated and then treated badly by some ass hat.

I do ok. I dont cheat people. I pay for what I need. I just want everyone to know that is they buy a machine from you only expect 30 good days out of it. Then you are on your own.

This is done by someone who is pist. It is not about the money. You were an ass and treated me like dirt. You pist me off.
post #28 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

A professional company, with competent staff may in fact register on one of the world's biggest AV forums to reply to an unsatisfied customer, but instead of flat out calling the customer a liar, the reply might have been something like this:

"Hello everyone, I am authorized to reply on behalf of Discount Tommy regarding this thread started by an unhappy customer. Even though the problem with the customer's purchase wasn't reported to us until well after our 30 day warranty period, we would like to try to come to a satisfactory arrangement with the customer, so we don't lose a valued customer.

Because the issue wasn't reported to us before our store policy 30 day warranty period, it's highly unlikely that we will send a replacement glass at 100% our cost, but we believe that we can come to a compromise that keeps our customer happy.

Please email me at KidMX@TommyDisc.... so we may discuss and resolve this issue.

Thank you,
KidMX"

Very well said. This is what I would expect and do in his situation....
post #29 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I wanted to make sure this was copied.....Now you cant delete it later on.... I want everyone to see what an ass you are. Your attitude says quite a bit about the training Discount Tommy customer service people receive....

This is what made me mad... See this guys attitude? I wasnt mad before. Just thought it was wrong. Then I get this guy on the phone and he is an ass. I am the customer and I am awlays right.... I shouldnt be treated this way.

I knew he would come one here and show the world what an ass he is... I could tell by the way he spoke to me on the phone. Oh by the way... I was NEVER rude to the girls on the phone. Not once. Nor were they rude to me. they handled themselves far bettewr than you did.... They nicely told me too bad so sad. I just figured they werent allowed to help me so I asked for a supervisor. I wasnt even mad until I got on the phone with you. Just disapointed in the customer service. What made me start to get mad was 4 days of calling and nobody calling me back. But your attitude is what really made me mad.

Now lets evealute your theory on what happend. I made up a story to get a free door... Really? We are on a AV Forum..... If you look at some of my past threads.... I just had a $100k home theater built. I added close to $15k worth of home theater equipement all done by a professional instead of saving money and doing it myself. I added $15k worth of games in the room along with $5k worth of custome seating. Do I sound like I need a free 20 dollar piece of plastic? Do you really think I need to do all of this and lie to get a 20 dollar piece of plastic for free.... REALLY? I just dont like to be cheated and then treated badly by some ass hat.

I do ok. I dont cheat people. I pay for what I need. I just want everyone to know that is they buy a machine from you only expect 30 good days out of it. Then you are on your own.

This is done by someone who is pist. It is not about the money. You were an ass and treated me like dirt. You pist me off.

And this is exactly how you acted on the phone when the girls didn't bow down to you. Exactly. No one lost their temper here. No one called you names. It was all you. Just like this post. You have a temper issue.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 334
time
Closed Thread Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page