Trouble with infrared repeater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a set of infrared repeaters I got at Best Buy and they have been working fine.

The one section sits atop my right front and is plugged into the wall right there.

The other is in my equipment closet. There is one outlet in there. For the longest time I had an APC ups plugged into it and the repeater was plugged into the battery backup side(lack of plugs is the only reason). Everything worked like a charm.

Well the UPS has died and I can't have anything plugged into the battery backup side. So I plug the infrared unit into the other side of the UPS or even the wall plug and it doesn't work.

However if I string the power cable out the door of my equipment closet to a different plug it does work.

I was about to buy a hotlink pro because I thought this thing was toast. But now that it's working out of a different outlet I wonder if there may be a solution. Obviously I'd want it plugged in in my equipment closet and not have a power cord running out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Hi Haps,

I would try and find the culprit. It isn't normal that you are not able to plug in the connecting block and it not working in that outlet.

First step: what else doesn't work on that outlet? is this the only piece of equipment that is giving you trouble or all. I would get an electrician to check out that outlet to make sure there is nothing wrong.

Second Step: If it is only the UPS, I would strongly suggest getting a new one, the UPS is giving you issues as you mentioned.

Third Step: If this still doesn't solve the issue, that the IR Connecting block might have been damaged in a surge or brown-out. Check to see if all ports are transmitting properly.

Process of elimination is the best way to help identify a problem.

Cheers,
Vince

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
When you say it does not work, do you mean it does not turn on or does not receive data? If it turns on and does not receive data then I would guess it is sending data over the ac lines.. or maybe not.. don't see any that use the ac line for transmitting but there is something amiss with your your electrical circuit, maybe even what killed the UPS. If the Repeater is using RF there could be excessive interference blocking it.. Turn off the bad UPS and see if it works..
post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I too would question if the outlet doesn't have an issue. A loose wire or the outlet itself going bad. I have found that transient issues with outlets can be very tough to diagnose. I hope you don't need an electrician for this, but if you don't know how to troubleshoot household ac, I would be cautious.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
Sometimes faulty outlets can give great voltage readings but the amperage is severely lacking. Try another appliance in the questioned outlet. This is probably your main issue.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page