Are Camden seats worth the extra cash? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All!

I am now at the stage in my theater construction where I had to decide on the seating. The company handling the design and equipment is recommending Camden seating (http://www.camdencinemafurniture.com/cinemaSeating.html). It looks like good quality but is about twice the price of everything else. i don't really mind paying for quality, but there are always diminishing returns with this kind of stuff. I was looking at the Palliser Pacifico Home Theater Seat (Model 41920) which seems to get good reviews. Can anyone make any recommendations. Is the leather on the quickship versions of the chair of good quality?

Thanks,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Andy,
Based on the description they are using Bonded Leather on their chairs. You should be aware that bonded leather is usually between 15 and 20% leather, combined with glues and polyurethane. While some very nice bonded leathers have way their way into the marketplace, especially more recently, in general you should not be paying twice as much for something that is covered in Bonded Leather as a leather match chair. The fact that the chairs are made in the USA is nice and the other details he mentions are nice. I believe these chairs are made for and distributed by SnapAV which is a very reputable company with some nice products. I just think you can do better with Palliser Pacificos in a leather match or another Palliser chair like the Pepper (new name is Playback) that features tray tables and storage, especially when considering the price. The leather used on the quick ship version of the Pacifico and Pepper/Playback chairs is a nice, solid leather.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Camden chairs seem to be nice and have clean look, but regardless of price there are two things that come to mind right away:

1. It does not look like you would have any head support in the reclined position meaning that if you rest your head on the back you will be looking at the ceiling.
2. They are not chaise recliners (unless I am missing something). That means that while reclining there will be a gap between the seat and a footrest.

You can definitely do better for the price....

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #4 of 4 Old 09-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked: 10
I tried both seats at my local home theater store this weekend. The Camden chairs had two big advantages for me.

They reclined farther back than the Palliser seat. I was surprised that the Palliser seat did not go back as far as I cared for. The Camden seat was also more firmer than the Palliser. I preferred the firmness of the Camden seating, but others might like a softer cushion.

Pricewise, the bonded leather or leather match Palliser are much cheaper. The price is similar if comparing the higher grades of leather Palliser offers. I decided to spend more money on the Camden chairs because of the how much farther back it reclines than the Palliser. I also really liked the salesperson at the theater store.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page