foam vs. stuffed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I am thinking between perhaps the Palliser Autobahn and Media. With the main difference being the foam vs. stuffed back. On the one hand, I like the leaner look of foam backed chairs, and I don't want the back of the chair to be so overstuffed that they block one's ability to hear the surrounds. On the other hand, I want the chair to be comfortable. I was thinking about the Elite chairs until I saw the description from someone that they feel like comfortable luxury car seats. I tend to nap in my theater room frequently so I would want a chair that is comfortable to doze off in. Any opinions on this?

Also, since a smaller, less overstuffed, less "poofy" seat back is a concern of mine, does anyone have any other suggestions, we are not very tall in this family so smaller size seat backs pose no problem for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There are more differences in these chairs than just the foam back vs. fiber-filled back. These chairs sit completely differently. The Autobahn is definitely more firm but it's nowhere near the firmness of the Elite chairs. The Media is much more plush and cushy much like the Berkline chairs everyone here is most familiar with. I happen to like a slightly more firm chair and therefore like the Autobahn and think it's an absolutely great looking chair. I consider it to be a "nappable" chair, too. But the Media is incredibly comfortable, too.

When factoring in whether or not a chair will block your surround sound, you should consider the back height of the chair more than the fiber vs. foam factor. The Media has a 43" back height while the Autobahn has a 41" back height. If you are over 6'0" tall, then I would consider a chair that is taller than 41". I also think the blocking of surround sound should not be a huge concern for several reasons: a.) Your surrounds should be positioned properly (high enough up) so that this is not a problem. Obviously if you have two rows of seating and only one set of surrounds this gets more complicated... b.) Most people tend to watch movies in a reclined or even slightly reclined position. c.) Because of reasons 'a' and 'b' I think you should consider the comfort of the chairs first and foremost- but this is my opinion, of course.

Let me know if you want any other feedback on the two chairs and I'd be happy to provide it for you.

Also, here are some other models from Palliser that have a more clean, "tight" look that I think you are in search of:
Auxiliary
Axis
Cyclone
HiFi
Indianapolis
LeMans
Record
dweltman likes this.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #3 of 11 Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLerch View Post

When factoring in whether or not a chair will block your surround sound, you should consider the back height of the chair more than the fiber vs. foam factor. The Media has a 43" back height while the Autobahn has a 41" back height. If you are over 6'0" tall, then I would consider a chair that is taller than 41".

thanks for the info, Ken. This brings up an important question for me, which is which seats (not just Palliser) have relatively short backs? I see with Fortress you can select back size, but they get a bit expensive for me when you add up everything. Any others. I am 5'6" so height is definitely not an issue. In fact I dont want a seat with a big head rest like the Indianapolis because that makes things worse for us shorter folks.

Do you think there is not much difference in the "feel" of the foam vs stuffed backs?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Here are some suggestions based on what I have heard from you so far about what type of quality and style you are looking for, and starting with my favorites first:

Palliser Digital: 39" back height, but has an adjustable headrest for taller folks, so you actually get the best of both worlds. Very nice looking chair, too.

Jaymar 262: 38" back height, and another great looking chair that features a hidden cup holder in the front of the arm.

Palliser Playback/Pepper (new and old names): 42" back but they really measure about 41"/41.5" and there is no headrest to push you forward if you don't hit it exactly right. We've actually had a few people around your height sit in them and really like them.

Palliser Pacifico: Same info as Playback/Pepper above

RowOne City Lights: 41" Back Height

RowOne Manhattan: 40.5" Back Height

Barcalounger Matinee: 40" Back Height. This seat sits better than it looks in photos. I was able to sit in this last Furniture Market in April and the comfort surprised me.

Lane Marquee, Model 220: 39" Back Height

Lane Palisades, Model 221: 41" Back Height
Quote:
Do you think there is not much difference in the "feel" of the foam vs stuffed backs?
I think there is a difference. The foam is more supportive, and you sink into the fiber more. It all depends on what you like here as far as comfort. If you like more firm and supportive then you will probably like the foam, if you like a more plush and cushy type chair, then you will probably like the fiber. But I also wouldn't consider either one a "deal breaker" if it's the opposite of what you want. Clear as mud? smile.gif

Ken

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #5 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ken

Of the one's you list, the Playback seems a possibility for me. It is not the sleekest model, but not the most overstuffed either.

It has the storage compartments (Digital doesn't) which is a feature I would like. That brings up another question, I would like to put my phone and remote chargers in the storage compartment, but I am unsure about the construction of the bottom of the chairs. If one were to drill a small hole in the bottom of the compartment, is it accessible to run wire up into the compartment. I have a floor outlet beneath where the chair will go, so I could plug a power strip there to hide the power cords for the recline and also to run the cords into the storage compartments if they are accessible from the bottom of the chair.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, this should be doable. Just make sure you tie down all of the cords neatly to keep them out of the recline mechanism. Also, the storage compartments are pretty deep to accomodate a tray table stored vertically.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #7 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Ken:
Just to get back briefly to that last question...I got my Palliser Playback chairs (they look real nice by the way). I would like to get an outlet into the storage compartment to be able to leave my remote charger cradle and telephone charger cradle in the storage compartment out of site.

I could easily cut a small hole in the plastic bottom of the storage compartment, but there is cloth covering the very bottom of the arm section that has the storage compartment, so I dont know what's in there. If I cut a hole through the cloth bottom would I be able to route an extension cord from the floor up into the storage compartment? No stuffing or other obstruction between?

Also, if I do this am I voiding the warranty?
I don't want to embark on this, until I know what I'm getting myself into...
post #8 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding the correlation between the back height and surround sound:

it is not that straight forward. In ideal situation when you have 7.x surround sound system, both side and rear surround sound speakers should be placed at least 2' above your ear level, but even in that situation and even in the reclining position when the back usually goes down about 4" you can still loose (at least partially) your surround sound if the back height is not optimal. Remember that sound sound effect is generated by the sound bouncing of all surfaces - side and back walls, ceiling, etc... If the ear level is below the top of the chair back the sound that bounces off the back wall will hit the back of the chair and will not reach your ears. That will break the enveloping effect we are all after...

When choosing proper back height you also need to take into consideration your body built. Some people are proportional, some have longer legs, and some will have longer torso. That will determine how high in the chair you will be seating and where your ear level relatively to the top of the back will be.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #9 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ken:
Just to get back briefly to that last question...I got my Palliser Playback chairs (they look real nice by the way). I would like to get an outlet into the storage compartment to be able to leave my remote charger cradle and telephone charger cradle in the storage compartment out of site.

I could easily cut a small hole in the plastic bottom of the storage compartment, but there is cloth covering the very bottom of the arm section that has the storage compartment, so I dont know what's in there. If I cut a hole through the cloth bottom would I be able to route an extension cord from the floor up into the storage compartment? No stuffing or other obstruction between?

Also, if I do this am I voiding the warranty?
I don't want to embark on this, until I know what I'm getting myself into...
post #10 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry I didn't see your first post. Checking with our rep now and will email you the answer.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #11 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

You're good, dweltman. You should be able to lift the storage compartment out from the top. So you should just need to cut a small hole in the dust cover to feed the cord, through. Make sure you tie off the wire with some zip ties to keep it out of the recline mechanism.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories