Popcorn Machine, what type of breaker do you need? Also where is the best place to buy them??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of getting a Popcorn machine, but I already have all my electronics, chairs, and a small refrigirator in the same room with what I am guessing is a 15 amp fuse. I know heat draws a ton of electricity, has this been an issue for anyone????

I would look at the Paragon more than likely. Family of 5 so probably the 6 ro 8 oz.

Also where is the best place to buy a quality machine?

Thank you!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post

I am thinking of getting a Popcorn machine, but I already have all my electronics, chairs, and a small refrigirator in the same room with what I am guessing is a 15 amp fuse. I know heat draws a ton of electricity, has this been an issue for anyone????
I would look at the Paragon more than likely. Family of 5 so probably the 6 ro 8 oz.
Also where is the best place to buy a quality machine?
Thank you!!!!!!

Where are you still allowed to run fuses? Only places I know around me that are, are the original installation from years ago and never did any upgrades. You must never of had your Theater wiring inspected. If you really still are running fuses it is time for a service change with breakers. After doing that run a couple of twenty amp circuits for your Theater room. Commonly people run one circuit for plugs and another for lights so that if one breaker trips the other is still active. You might also want to think about having a whole house GFI and surge suppressor installed at the same time. A service change is not a DIY job unless you know what you are doing.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Where are you still allowed to run fuses? Only places I know around me that are, are the original installation from years ago and never did any upgrades. You must never of had your Theater wiring inspected. If you really still are running fuses it is time for a service change with breakers. After doing that run a couple of twenty amp circuits for your Theater room. Commonly people run one circuit for plugs and another for lights so that if one breaker trips the other is still active. You might also want to think about having a whole house GFI and surge suppressor installed at the same time. A service change is not a DIY job unless you know what you are doing.

How stupid of me, it is not a fuse, it is a breaker, not sure what I was thinking, my house is only a year old.

Thanks for correcting me.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 253
RTFM? The power consumption should be listed there or on the nameplate or maybe in their catalog. If it's in Watts, divide by 120 to get amps. You typically don't want to load a breaker beyond 80% (16 amps on a 20 amp breaker).
post #5 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

RTFM? The power consumption should be listed there or on the nameplate or maybe in their catalog. If it's in Watts, divide by 120 to get amps. You typically don't want to load a breaker beyond 80% (16 amps on a 20 amp breaker).

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for, now the question is what type of Amps does my Theater system and chairs take? My Jack wagon Electrician labeled all my breakers, but seems like he did it quick because they are not all accurate. Looks like I will need a 20 AMP, I will have to see what I have, think it might be a 15 AMP. 15 AMP will do it, but it would also be running the Home theater so I wouldn't want to take the chance.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would dedicate at least two circuits (or more) to the Theater equipment to allow for future upgrades and flexibility.

BTW: I use a Gold medal Popcorn machine (Antique Deluxe 60 with cart). The Heater and warming lights consume about 1000 watts. Additional equipment plugged into the outlets in addition to the popcorn machine can sometimes cause a trip of the 15A breaker. The popcorn machine is plugged into wall outlets within the theater and not the circuits for AV equipment.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #7 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for, now the question is what type of Amps does my Theater system and chairs take? My Jack wagon Electrician labeled all my breakers, but seems like he did it quick because they are not all accurate. Looks like I will need a 20 AMP, I will have to see what I have, think it might be a 15 AMP. 15 AMP will do it, but it would also be running the Home theater so I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Two things: First, popcorn machines are essentially electric heaters (same basic category as a hair dryer or electric range, really), and will suck up the juice when cooking. For example, my Paragon machine has a faceplate rating of 1200W. Most circuits in your house will be 15A, giving a max of 1800W - so you can see how close you're getting just with the popcorn machine running. I'd be wary of putting a popcorn machine on the same circuit as any refrigerator - as the fridge compressor will come on randomly - if it does while you're popping corn, I think you'll trip the breaker... Note that the 80% load rule is meant for static load (lighting, etc.) planning - your popcorn machine won't be running all the time, and your A/V equipment will never consistently consume anywhere near their faceplate ratings at the same time. (My rack + projector + sub draws a total of ~7A at high volume, for example)

Second (this is very important): The breaker on each circuit in your house is sized according to the wiring gauge of the circuit. You CANNOT safely replace a 15A breaker with a 20A to "get more power" to a circuit. At least, not without having someone qualified to check that the wiring would support it. The only practical way to bring more electrical capacity to a room (after the fact) is to add more circuits, perhaps a dedicated 20A circuit for your equipment rack, or for the popcorn machine. Or one for each! biggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Two things: First, popcorn machines are essentially electric heaters (same basic category as a hair dryer or electric range, really), and will suck up the juice when cooking. For example, my Paragon machine has a faceplate rating of 1200W. Most circuits in your house will be 15A, giving a max of 1800W - so you can see how close you're getting just with the popcorn machine running. I'd be wary of putting a popcorn machine on the same circuit as any refrigerator - as the fridge compressor will come on randomly - if it does while you're popping corn, I think you'll trip the breaker... Note that the 80% load rule is meant for static load (lighting, etc.) planning - your popcorn machine won't be running all the time, and your A/V equipment will never consistently consume anywhere near their faceplate ratings at the same time. (My rack + projector + sub draws a total of ~7A at high volume, for example)
Second (this is very important): The breaker on each circuit in your house is sized according to the wiring gauge of the circuit. You CANNOT safely replace a 15A breaker with a 20A to "get more power" to a circuit. At least, not without having someone qualified to check that the wiring would support it. The only practical way to bring more electrical capacity to a room (after the fact) is to add more circuits, perhaps a dedicated 20A circuit for your equipment rack, or for the popcorn machine. Or one for each! biggrin.gif
Jeff

Thank you Sir

I will hold off for now, the Refrigirator was more important to me, as it is we make popcorn in the Kitchen and just bring it up there, works fine.

Down the road I might add a 20A Circuit for the Popcorn machine.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

Thank you Sir
I will hold off for now, the Refrigirator was more important to me, as it is we make popcorn in the Kitchen and just bring it up there, works fine.
Down the road I might add a 20A Circuit for the Popcorn machine.

In the meantime, if you're not already using one, the stove-top "Whirley-Pop" makes popcorn just like a machine, and uses 4oz pre-packs. I still use mine occasionally as it's less mess to clean up for just me!

4153Z0G472L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-25008-Whirley-Pop/dp/B00004SU35

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #10 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

In the meantime, if you're not already using one, the stove-top "Whirley-Pop" makes popcorn just like a machine, and uses 4oz pre-packs. I still use mine occasionally as it's less mess to clean up for just me!
4153Z0G472L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-25008-Whirley-Pop/dp/B00004SU35
Jeff

Thank you!!!!!!!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page