Home Theater seating, help and Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok been looking at way to many seats and just seems like I am getting lost. Here are some of the one i like also I think im pretty much sold on Power Recline option.

First On the list is the Lane MVP 125
http://www.****************/lane-125-mvp-bonded-power-theater-seating/46/679

Second is The Lane 108 Alamo
http://www.****************/lane-108-alamo-bonded-power-home-theater-seating/46/690

Third is the Lane 107 Malibu
http://www.****************/lane-107-malibu-bonded-power-leather-seating/46/685

I thought about the Lane Matinee's, since they keep getting recommended on the boards, while 2 of them would be smaller than the current couch i have in my room, I wouldn't mind having a smaller design either to gain a little added space. Plus i dont really need to have the storage on the side, its cool, but not a have to have.

I also really dig the lighted cup holders, can do with or with out the lights on the base.

I tired reading about Bonded vs True leather, I keep hearing bonded leather has gotten better.

Im trying to keep my budget for 2 chairs around $1000ish

Alot of it is since i can't actually sit in the chairs its also hard to make up my mind too.

I guess i keep moving towards the Lanes as you can see. Anyone have anything to say about these seats? Or ones like them? Or ones better than them? Any help/recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks for the hlep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 PM

Liked: 18
I tried the Lane MVP yesterday and thought they were comfortable. So much so that I put them on my short list of seats I liked. Pros for me were seat-back height and comfort (I like a somewhat plush feeling chair, but don't like it when cushions collapse too far). It looks like this seat is also available with lighting and tray tables but under the name 'All-Star'.

I saw the Alamo in the shop but didn't like the hidden cup holders. I thought the way the arm rests slid to hide and un-hide the cup holders and seat controls looked really janky, and they didn't really feel solid when hiding and un-hiding.

I don't recall if I tried the Malibu, and if I did, they didn't make enough of an impression on me to ask its name and find its way onto my short list.

FWIW, I'm 6'3". YMMV. :-)
post #3 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! thanks for the info, sounds like we like the same type of chair.

"somewhat plush feeling chair, but don't like it when cushions collapse too far"

Since you added this to your short list, may ask what else u have on that short list?

what are your thoughts on the "bonded leather?"
post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 PM

The other seats that made it on my short list after siting on them the other day were the Palliser Current/ Coda, and Lane Matinee (also liked MVP, as mentioned above), and the Seatcraft Bellagio. I also sat in a Barcalounger that I really liked, but the sales person didn't know the model and thought is was a custom job (pic in link below ...)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0it9GNvuS1zbF8xQVFDOFk1Wm8/edit?pli=1

Overall I thought the Palliser Current/ Coda was the most comfortable as it had a great height and nice, plush feeling that reminded me more of a euro chair than a recliner. According to Palliser's website is is not eligible for the tray table add-on, which I very much want (I sent them an email yesterday asking if a special mod to add tray tables was an option).

The lack of tray tables on the Current/ Coda has me intersted in the Palliser Media/ Mimi/ Mellow, which looks like it has a similar feel to the Current/ Coda but offers the optional tray tables as an add-on. I have not sat in the seats yet, but plan on doing so in the next few weeks (any insight into the Media/ Mimi/ Mellow is welcome).

From researching on Palliser's website I'm also interested in their Frequency and Tijuana seats, but have not sat in either yet. It looks like the Frequency is the same as the Bullet, which is sold on Theaterseastore.com, but might have some slight differences that I'm not aware of.

I've kind of soured on Seatcraft for a few reasons; they're made in china and are made exclusively for a specific website whereas Palliser and others are made in North America and are distributed through dealers across the country. Also, I've got a thread going about my thoughts and initial plans with some Seatcraft seats ... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420913/theater-seating-w-flip-able-arms-seatcraft-rialto-vesta-etc#post_22261144

Hope this insight helps, and as I sit in the seats I mentioned above, I'll certainly give more feedback. Interested what others have to say about the chairs mentioned above, too.

Thanks!
post #5 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yea the MVP looks pretty sweet! glad to hear its comfortable. But yea that All-star takes the MVP up a notch. Trying to see if i can talk my self into upping to the All-Star. These chairs are getting to expensive hehe
post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Are you going Leather? Or Bonded?

I am still on the fence about this. The price on bonded is nice, but i always think its cheap for a reason. will bonded last? If i spend this much on some chairs i'll be royal upset if they dont last... which makes me think crap i better spend the extra on leather.

I gotta reel in the pricing some where, its getting way up there. Maybe i sacrifice power for leather? Or Leather for power? Really dont want to sacrifice power smile.gif Hoping to hear that maybe the bonded is better than i think?

Off to do some more reading...
post #7 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 AM

I'm by no means an expert and am in fact a total n00b at this. smile.gif Like you I'm doing a ton of research and am trying the seats out in person when I can, but I've never bought theater seats before and don't have any first-hand experience with any of the brands we're talking about.

I don't have experience with bonded leather seats, either, but I have some limited experience with leather seats via family members and they've lasted for well over a decade. The leather is still quite soft despite some color fading, but they still feel really good which is what I think counts most (and no rips or tears). Of course there are many grades of leather, so that needs to be accounted for. Palliser offers five grades of leather with the first two available as Leather Match (I'm considering the 2000 series in Leather Match). Personally, I prefer matte leather and am not into shiny leather seats at all, just personal taste.

I'm really not sure how bonded would hold up, but I'm not really into the idea of vinyl seats.

Leather Match is a potential compromise as it is real leather on the parts of the seat that you sit on and actually touch while the rest of the parts (back, sides, etc.) are matching bonded leather. I'm thinking of doing this, actually, but want to research a bit more as well.

Palliser has a basic leather guide here which is a good place to start ... http://www.palliser.com/furniture/CoverOptions/Leather/About/

One of Palliser's dealers, Discount Leather Chairs, has a section on each seat's page about the different fabrics that are offered which has good explanations of the different grades of leather (and pricing). Check this page out, for example, and scroll down a bit until you see the leather grade tabs... http://www.discountleatherchair.com/palliser-media-home-theater-seats.html

I feel ya on the price issue. These seats get crazy pricey with all the add-ons! Personally, I don't think I could do without power recline since its infinitely adjustable and just way easier to use. If I were to cut corners in any area I think for me it would be the lighting as that is the one add-on feature that is really luxury without a whole lot of practicality, or at least less practicality than motorized recline and real leather, IMHO.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well i finally ordered my chairs!

I had decided to go with the Lane All Stars. But the 2 places that had them for sale, 4seat and theaterseat didn't exactly have the best reputation.

So I went back to looking at ole Roman's line, yeah it's a little more than I want to spend. But dang if his customer service is not just through the roof. It just can't be ignored, all the positive reviews he has gotten. So I figure well if I am going to spend this much on chairs, I think I want to spend it on the guy who's gonna take care of me the best. Put my order in for 2 of his Fusion Escapes. Now just have to wait for them to arrive!
post #9 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Well i finally ordered my chairs!

I had decided to go with the Lane All Stars. But the 2 places that had them for sale, 4seat and theaterseat didn't exactly have the best reputation.

So I went back to looking at ole Roman's line, yeah it's a little more than I want to spend. But dang if his customer service is not just through the roof. It just can't be ignored, all the positive reviews he has gotten. So I figure well if I am going to spend this much on chairs, I think I want to spend it on the guy who's gonna take care of me the best. Put my order in for 2 of his Fusion Escapes. Now just have to wait for them to arrive!
post #10 of 12 Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow is the day!
post #11 of 12 Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hit a snag, trailer is stuck in Chicago waiting to get filled up more, before they send out to Oklahoma. frown.gif Just have to wait a little longer.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Trapper,

You have a PM.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page