Dust proof projector enclosure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are taking over a job that another A/V company botched and need to relocate the projector in the theater to the room behind the back wall. This room is cool (crawlspace, usually 55 to 60 degrees F) but dusty. The only enclosures I can seem to find are over $3000. Does anyone know of a dustproof enclosure with exhaust fan that is more reasonably priced? It just doesn't seem like box with a power strip, filter and thermostat should cost $3000 but perhaps that is all that is out there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. The projector we are using is the JVC DLA-RS45U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarmstrong View Post

We are taking over a job that another A/V company botched and need to relocate the projector in the theater to the room behind the back wall. This room is cool (crawlspace, usually 55 to 60 degrees F) but dusty. The only enclosures I can seem to find are over $3000. Does anyone know of a dustproof enclosure with exhaust fan that is more reasonably priced? It just doesn't seem like box with a power strip, filter and thermostat should cost $3000 but perhaps that is all that is out there.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. The projector we are using is the JVC DLA-RS45U

I can think of several options. Anything that isolates the crawlspace from the projector should work and since its out of sight, looks don't count.

1. Make the hole big enough to slide the projector into the wall from the front with a box on the other side. Use a grill on the theater side with a hole for the lense that will allow cooling air in and cut a hole in the box adding a filter for exhaust. Any square box big enough for the projector should work. Seal the box to the access wall.

2. Same hole, but wrap the projector in filter material with appropriate cutouts for wiring. If the projector is in a crawlspace, then why worry about the look of wrapping the projector with filter material. Tape the filter tight to the access wall.

3. Fully boxed projector with cutout for lense and cooling air brought through filtered accesses from the crawlspace and exhausted back out to the crawlspace. Seal the edges of the box up against the access wall.

The projector fan should be sufficient if the filter material is cleaned regularly. Also consider that the crawlspace probably has never been cleaned and unless the dust is disturbed it probably isn't being significantly circulated.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, just a word of advice.
I have tried just about everything as well, take it from someone who has tried to save a few dollars.
It doesn't work, it will only cost you time and money.

Buy the right thing the first time.
I ended up here - ssidisplays

Good Luck
post #4 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by starley View Post

Hi, just a word of advice.
I have tried just about everything as well, take it from someone who has tried to save a few dollars.
It doesn't work, it will only cost you time and money.
Buy the right thing the first time.
I ended up here - ssidisplays
Good Luck

I don't disagree that the solution in the link will work and at a price that's apparently a lot less than what the OP originally posted. I will say that the solution on the link is basically what I suggested that would not be that tough of a DIY project. A box with cutouts. Anyway, we have given the OP some choices and advice. Its up to him to make the final decision.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page