post #1 of 2 Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My switch setup for the baseent:
-1 off/on switch at the top of stairs
-2 gang switch at bottom of stairs (one off/on and a round dimmer)
-The dimmer controls 4 lights by the theater. The On/Off switches control the rest of the basment lights.
-The switches are not line of site, but are within 25 or so feet.

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MRF2-600MTHW-WH-Multi-Location-Controller-Wallplate/dp/B003U8Y9QA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1344868521&sr=1-1&keywords=lutron+wireless+dimmer+controller

Is this my only option to go remote dimmer, or are there other compaies/solutions I should look at? Basically, I want to be able to control the full light range with the dimmer, and have a pre-set for standard TV viewing lighting.

Are there any solutions that will remote turn off and on the regular Off/On Switches int eh above layout, while at teh same time, privide a remote dimmer for the other theater lights? Basically, I want to control the above layout with one remote/switch system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a similar problem in my theater which is in an upstairs bonus room. I had a 3 way setup (one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom of the stairs) for the lights coming up into my stairwell, well Luttron does not control 3 ways and you can't isolate their signals (I.E. they all operate off the same IR so you turn one on with the remote, everything in sight line will turn on etc.) so they would only work for the lights actually in my bonus room.

*Edit: I see the one you linked is RF so you get around the sight line issues, but I'm not sure if you can control lights independently on this setup

Then I came across Smart Home products. I now am able to turn all of my lights (4 lighted movie posters, stairwell lights, main theater room lights, and a rope light behind my screen) on from the bottom of the stairs before go upstair, turn everything but the rope light off when I turn my projector on (through a harmony remote), control all of my lights from my remote, and turn on all of my lights when I turn my projector off.

Their products look intimidating when browsing through but its quite easy to understand when you start digging into it. Given your setup i think you would need:

- 1 IR to insteon converter (comes with remote and can be programmed into a Harmony or Universal remote that does IR)
- 1 Smarthome dimmers
- 2 Smarthome on/off switches

The great thing about this stuff is any unit can be a master or a slave since they all talk to each other.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page