Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Greetings,

I know popcorn machines make a certain amount of steam. What I'd like to know is whether they put oil/grease into the air as well. I found an old AVS thread from 2007 where some people reported that they had that experience. I've also talked to people who have their machines right under their projectors, and haven't had any issues. So, I'm not sure whom to believe.

My popcorn machine will be in the room adjoining my theater. That room also has the equipment racks for all the house electronics (and those racks are open to the front). I'm worried that if the popcorn machine produces aerosolized oil, that mist will get sucked into the electronics via their cooling fans, and eventually cause trouble.

I am unable to run a duct to the outside from this location, but I could install a hood with filtration above the machine.

I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has actually had experience one way or the other!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Personally I would not place it in the same room as the electronics. Ever seen electronic gear in a Fast food restaurant? No, the best place for the popper is outside the room. As for smoke, they will only smoke if you let the kettle get hot with oil in it, or leave it on accidentally, after dumping the kernels. I would suggest also to have a fire extinguisher handy nearby, in case there is ever a chance that the kettle does catch on fire.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, a fast food restaurant has fryolators and griddles going 24/7. I will be popping a few batches of popcorn per week.

Good call on the fire extinguisher. I will have one on hand for sure.

My problem is that there is no "outside the room". Outside the room with the electronics would either be in the garage, or in the theater itself, which has fabric walls and ceiling, and carpet (compared to the kitchenette's paint and tile). So, the operative question for me is whether, if operated properly, the popcorn machine is going to put oil into the air, or if it will just do steam.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Well, a fast food restaurant has fryolators and griddles going 24/7. I will be popping a few batches of popcorn per week.

My two cents: I think this is well put and I agree. I think this issue tends to get overblown a little on the forum. The popcorn machine will put out mostly steam and occasional smoke if you burn the oil or kernels. I've never heard of a popcorn machine marking up nearby walls with oil or smoke. All/any splatter stays inside the machine. If I'm wrong and anyone has had an issue with this, I'd like to hear about it. So, if that has not been a problem then I don't think your equipment further away is going to be affected. Normal dust is going to be more of an issue, IMHO. Happy popping!
TheCrow1994 likes this.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #5 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I had similar concerns when I placed my popper in the theater. To mitigate the smoke issue I simply pop before turning my electronics on. I wait several minutes for the steam/smoke to clear and have had no problems.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good thought! Unfortunately for me, since my racks contain the equipment for the whole house, some of the components are always on (TiVo, computer server, etc). I'm not too worried about steam. Have you noticed any signs that the popper is putting oil into the air, though?

Mike Kobb

post #7 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have no issue what so ever. The only time I ever get any smoke is if I have been lazy and have not cleaned out the kettle. Which is simple itself. I just pour water into the kettle, let it boil for about 10 minutes, dump it out and done. Even the small amount of smoke I get from being lazy, you wouldn't notice it until you open the popper door. I have the Great Northern Popcorn Black 8 oz. Ounce Foundation Movie Theater Style Popcorn Machine, which is linked right here. http://www.greatnorthernpopcorn.com/p-72-great-northern-popcorn-black-foundation-popcorn-popper-machine-8-ounce.aspx

When I keep it clean, after every few pops, no issue. No smoke. There is the odd bit of steam, but even that is barely noticeable. If you opened the popper door, it would be gone in a second. As for oil or grease into the air, none. It says inside the popper or the odd time, it splatters onto walls of the machine. I am assuming you are talking about a home machine, and not some professional one you see in the movie theatres.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, much appreciated. Yes, I'm looking at the Paragon home machines, probably the 6oz one.

Mike Kobb

post #9 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM

I have to put a shamless plug for the Great Northern Popcorn company, as I bought mine off amazon, and they screwed up. Shipping to Canada was NOT supposed to be an option. They fully honoured the sale, and shipped it at the price I paid. Even further, when i emailed the compnay for a buddy of mine, they bent over backwards to help him get one too. Customer service was awesome. it seems everything home theatre decor releated in Canada costs a arm and a leg up here. Finding a company that ships to Canada at a reasonable price is next to impossible.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-01-2012, 05:39 PM

I should add, I use this popcorn, which I had to buy from Wayfair, even with duties and taxes was still almost $20.00 per case cheaper than anything here in Canada. http://www.wayfair.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Eight-Ounce-Portion-Packs-Case-of-24-GPN1012.html?refid=EH&mmid=59048646&csnid=BE2D652B-1666-4ECC-83F4-14972BE22424
post #11 of 14 Old 09-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Thanks, much appreciated. Yes, I'm looking at the Paragon home machines, probably the 6oz one.

That's the one I have and it has provided me with 9 years of trouble free service. We typically use it 2-3 times per week.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-02-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post

Code:
That's the one I have and it has provided me with 9 years of trouble free service. We typically use it 2-3 times per week.

And have you noticed any signs that it's putting oil into the air? I know you said you don't turn things on until you've finished popping, which I think is smart, but since I won't have that option... I'm not worried about the steam -- it's oil that worries me.

Thanks! :-)

Mike Kobb

post #13 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

And have you noticed any signs that it's putting oil into the air? I know you said you don't turn things on until you've finished popping, which I think is smart, but since I won't have that option... I'm not worried about the steam -- it's oil that worries me.
Thanks! :-)

I would say little if any. The only smoke I see is as the kettle is warming up prior to putting in the corn.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, thanks!

Mike Kobb

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page