Suggestions for labeling cables and power cords - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone found a good way to label cables and power cords? I find it's more convenient to have both my cables and power cords labeled when it comes time to make changes or adjustments to my equipment rack. TIA.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Label makers... Dymo has a "Rhino" line specifically for cables, I just use my Dymo general purpose unit and make "flags" for the cables with the white vinyl tape loads. The Rhino labels wrapped around the cables, instead of flags, are better, though, as the flags add to the tangling mess behind the components... If I was starting from scratch on the whole effort, I'd buy a Rhino.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
If you want to go on the cheap, just use regular white adhesive tape that you have in the medicine cabinet. Then mark the individual cables with a Sharpie.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #4 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
just use regular white adhesive tape that you have in the medicine cabinet. Then mark the individual cables with a Sharpie.
granted this is better than nothing, but go back to that athletic tape in three or four years and see what a gooey unreadable mess you may have, depending on the amibient heat and humidity.
The Brother P Touch is another popular choice, with printers and tape available at most office supply stores.. Lots of complaints on waste with the P Touch line, but the labels hold up over time. Dymo, invented the home label maker (the original plastic tape labelling system people, you know, that pressed impression of each character into the maleable plastic adhesive tape stuff) the printer is an investment, but the heat shrink and seal laminating labels are very durable.
When in doubt, colored electrical tape goes a long way as well. Four colors of tape can render lots of variety if used in combinations of two or three.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #5 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Don't use masking tape. It leaves a goopy mess when you want to remove the tape. Are there cables tags available at somewhere like Home Depot? Last time I went in search the associate told me just to use masking tape and didn't help me look to find them...
post #6 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes. They have cable labels at Home Depot. They are in the Electrical section of the store.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
"Granted this is better than nothing, but go back to that athletic tape in three or four years and see what a gooey unreadable mess you may have, depending on the amibient heat and humidity."

All depends what you use. I did this with the cables to my stereo set-up I had from 1992-2011 and the tape and markings looked perfectly fine. I cut off the adhesive to reuse the cables for my new set-up and had very little adhesive residue on the cables. Of course, if you want it looking professional, follow the other suggestions. Like you said, better than nothing. wink.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #8 of 11 Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Crutchfield has great labels, here's the link

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked: 10
I have all of my components hidden under a stairwell and nothing is out in the open. I simply made a couple MS Paint documents and put it up on the wall beside my components.

For my power bars, I always know which component is plugged into which outlet. It's also great for my AV setup because I always know how everything is connected. Anytime I make a change, I just pop onto the computer and update the document and reprint. It's a clean setup that is easy to access.

The downside is that it only works on hidden components or racks. For components that are out in the open you would have to keep the document on your computer.

Just an option if you want something different.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I bought a Dymo labeler, just for this. I love the fact that every cable from speakers to IR blasters are labeled. Worth every penny and worth the time it took to make the labels.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page