Considering buying Palliser Playback (Pepper) Home Theater Seats - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering buying a three seat row of the Palliser Playback Home Theater Seats( formerly Pepper); with power recline and grade 2 fabric (not a leather fan). Does anyone have experience with these seats. I can not find them locally, so I am thinking of purchasing them sight unseen from: stargatecinema.com. I am a little nervous, because even though the have a 30 day return policy, returning them makes no sense due to the high cost of return shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
I just took delivery on a set of Playback chaird last week. I purchased them with the Bronco Colt leather, which I think is a grade up from what you are contemplating. The chairs look and feel real nice. Do you have any specific questions I can answer?

If I get a chance, I'll try an upload a picture, but it probably won't be today.

The only question I have is that I bought a 3 seat curved unit and they come as 3 chairs which do not bolt or hook together. I would have preferred to be able to do that, although I am not sure which if any competing chairs would have that feature. So you just push the unit together and hope the chairs don't move around too much.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply dweltman. I know comfort is subjective but; are they comfortable? How Is the cushioning? Are they are of good quality? I guess I am just curious about other peoples' opinions.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 04:17 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Palliser in general makes good quality furniture. I do want to mention that the Playback (Pepper) has more of a flat shape of the back, and in reclined position will not give you optimal head support. You will find yourself either sliding down in the chairs or wanting to put a pillow under your head if you want to rest it on the back of the chair.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #5 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post

Thanks for your reply dweltman. I know comfort is subjective but; are they comfortable? How Is the cushioning? Are they are of good quality? I guess I am just curious about other peoples' opinions.

I think they are a pretty good balance along the firm/cushy spectrum. These are not chairs you sink into, but they feel pretty comfortable to me. I didn't want a chair that was too "poofy", as a lot of those chairs are really poorly made as to the cushioning and that feel characterizes the more cheaply made chairs (to me at least). I did want a chair that I could take a nap in however. I haven't yet had the opportunity to try and take a nap in them yet. I will report on that when I do!

As far as the adjustable head rest, there is a different Palliser model that has that, or Roman's chairs certainly have that feature. Personally I can't imagine watching a movie in full recline, so I don't think that will ever be an issue for me.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As far as the adjustable head rest, there is a different Palliser model that has that, or Roman's chairs certainly have that feature. Personally I can't imagine watching a movie in full recline, so I don't think that will ever be an issue for me.
I was not talking about full recline. and I was not talking about adjustable headrest, but rather about the shape of the upper part of the back. When you get in a comfortable reclining position if you are somewhere between 5'11" and 6'2" tall you cannot rest your head on the back and still be looking at the screen, unless your screen is mounted very high. In order to have a nice head support you would either need to slide down in the chair that will make you loose lower back lumbar support, or put a pillow under your head.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #7 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for the input, but I have to disagree 100% with your "lack of head support" comments, Roman.

I just walked over to the model we have in our store and reclined about 3/4 of the way back and my head was facing forward just fine without slouching down in the chair at all. I'm 6'0" tall with a longer torso and shorter legs (31" inseam). That's right in the middle of your example of 5'11 to 6'2" example. This has been a very popular style and we've had zero complaints about this. So, I would think that something would have cropped up by now if this was an issue.

I'm curioius to know when was the last time you sat in the Pepper/Playback, Roman? Maybe you sat in one that was a model for Furniture Market a few years ago that was not finalized?

I will post some photos of me sitting in the chair later today so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #8 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Here are a few photos of someone 6'0" tall sitting in the Palliser Playback/Pepper so you can see how the chair sits and fits. Let me know if anyone has other questions. Thanks, guys!

Palliser Playback 1
Palliser Playback 2
Palliser Playback 3
Hinkston likes this.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #9 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Ken,

I am not going to argue with you, but even from the pictures you provided it definitely looks like you are lacking proper head support with your eyes forced down, and the footrest not even being in horizontal position. If you are used to sit in the chairs like that and are comfortable looking down for a long period of time without having a strained neck you are quote flexible person smile.gif

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #10 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post

I am considering buying a three seat row of the Palliser Playback Home Theater Seats( formerly Pepper); with power recline and grade 2 fabric (not a leather fan). Does anyone have experience with these seats. I can not find them locally, so I am thinking of purchasing them sight unseen from: stargatecinema.com. I am a little nervous, because even though the have a 30 day return policy, returning them makes no sense due to the high cost of return shipping.

I can vouch for stargate. I've purchased from them several times in the past and never had a problem. Recently, I ordered 4 of the pepper seats. Let me start by saying that they're awesome, so I'm sure you'll love them. I did have a slight issue with the stitching on one of the seatbacks, but the guys at Stargate quickly took care of that as well. If you'd like to see some pictures of the seats in a theater environment, rather than the canned photos on the manufacturer site, I have several in my 3.0 build thread in my signature below.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh View Post

Palliser in general makes good quality furniture. I do want to mention that the Playback (Pepper) has more of a flat shape of the back, and in reclined position will not give you optimal head support. You will find yourself either sliding down in the chairs or wanting to put a pillow under your head if you want to rest it on the back of the chair.

I don't have either of these issues with my seats.

Jason

post #12 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

How about the Palliser 41452 Current (previously the Coda or Fortune) are they better than the Playback/Peppers? BTW, I emailed Stargate requesting fabric samples: I received a very quick response and received the samples in two days!!! Very good customer service so far and I'm not even a customer, yet.smile.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Wanted to further add that I've watched a ton of movies in mine and never had any head support issues. For what it's worth, I'm 5'11.

Jason

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page