Two quick Berkline questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm about to pull the trigger on some seats but wanted these questions answered first.

1. My room is 11.5w x 17d. I'm looking to get the Berkline 13175 before they're all gone as they are narrow and will fit my room. I'm not sure if I should go with the straight 3 or curved 3. The straight are 92" wide while the curved take up 6" more at 98". You enter the theater from the back and you will have to walk around the seats to sit down. I'm an audio freak so the middle seat must be in the dead center of the room. With the straight set of 3 I will have 23" of room to walk around the seats but if I opt for the curved I will only have 20". Aside from the room, do you guys prefer the straight or the curved?

2. Is the extra warranty worth it? I'm looking to get the chairs from theaterseat dot com, as they have the 13175 the cheapest. Have there been enough horror stories to warrant spending $135 for the three chairs for a 5 year warranty? These will be powered seats. Now, I am extremely handy and can fix just about anything with the right parts, but if I can't get the parts I'm screwed. I'm not typically the kind of guy that buys extended warranties and these Berklines are going to be gone sooner or later, right? If the drive mechanism fails for one of these can they be used as a manual seat or must they be powered?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Aside from the room, do you guys prefer the straight or the curved?
With a row of three chairs, the curve doesn't make a huge difference as far as viewing angles go. If you were doing four or more and had the space, then yes, consider a curved row for the better viewing angles on the outside seats. I would go with straight given the space limitation.
Quote:
Is the extra warranty worth it?
Berkline has been out of business for more than a year and a half. So if they are actually the Berkline 13175's and not the Lane 175's (same chair, different brand name) then yes, the warranty is important, especially on power recline chairs.
Quote:
If the drive mechanism fails for one of these can they be used as a manual seat or must they be powered?
No, the power recline would need to be fixed. The good part about the power systems in most chairs is that they have three components: Switch, Power Supply and Actuator. Any of the three parts can be swapped out pretty easily with the Actuator being the most difficult. Here are rough delivered prices for each component to help with your warranty decision: Switch: $20, Power Supply: $20-$25, Actuator $35-45

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #3 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just to add to Ken's comments - The only advantage of curved configuration in this particular case would be having a little bit more elbow space between the chairs since the wedges are wider in the back.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #4 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the input. Straight config it is.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page