MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #271 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry a dumb question how do I donate.I downloaded the software and is working very well.Want to show my appreciation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@ Mr Tim
Before you say anything or make remarks maybe you should think first.
I am offering a significant contribution to give him incentive to have his software work with other platforms. He would gain a big audience by getting his software to work with Dune, Yadis, or Zappiti.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

If only I knew more.
post #273 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I see post after post "I will donate IF..."

Might I suggest you make a donation up front to fund the continued development of the product. Otherwise sit back and wait.

Tm

Agreed. Lots of requests for random platforms with a "promise to pay"...rolleyes.gif

Robert Clark
post #274 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 AM

I don't have a home theater or application for this yet, but this is on the top of my want list when I begin my home theater in the next year or so. I'd definitely pay $20 for this program without hesitation. Especially if I knew it'd have continued support and potentially further updates down the road
post #275 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 11:43 AM

I would not call dune random.

If only I knew more.
post #276 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 AM

20 bucks is a good deal for this program It works very well.

If only I knew more.
post #277 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post

Sorry a dumb question how do I donate.I downloaded the software and is working very well.Want to show my appreciation.

Thank you. I appreciate your support. I'm glad that its working well for you. There is a paypal donation link on the About page in the web remote. Click the 'i' icon to access that page. There is also a link in the application setting window of the MoviePoster program itself. By default, its on the first tab that opens when you bring up the settings window.
post #278 of 885 Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuraijones View Post

@ Mr Tim
Before you say anything or make remarks maybe you should think first.
I am offering a significant contribution to give him incentive to have his software work with other platforms. He would gain a big audience by getting his software to work with Dune, Yadis, or Zappiti.

I did not intend to start any conflict, but based on Tim's title of "Code Guy", I'm guessing that he understands the time it can take to implement an application. I'm not expecting to get rich off this program. So far I've gotten enough in donations to cover about an hour and a half or so of time at my day job or to buy myself lunch a few times. It is greatly appreciated and I am happy that so many people around the world (600 + downloads) are using my application. Unfortunately, with only a handful of donations its hard to justify spending days or weeks trying to get something to work that I wont use myself. That's why I was considering a fee. I could also set a 'bounty' for certain features that i would try to implement once a certain amount of donations had been made, but i wouldn't want to let anyone down if it turned out to not be possible to implement a certain feature.
That said, I am interested in trying to get the program to work with other platforms as I do enjoy working on it when I have free time. I can set up a test environment for MediaBrowser pretty much for free and the platform is fairly robust and its pretty well documented, so I already know that its possible I just need to find the time to do it. Since I don't use MediaBrowser myself the development has been slow going so far although it should be possible to write an interface for MB2 and MB3. Plex and Boxee are also a possibility since they share some similarities to xbmc, although I havent looked at the http interfaces for either of these since they forked from xbmc years ago. But again, I can basically test these environments for free.
Dune is a different story, however. First, I dont have one, and have no intention of buying one, so even basic testing of the protocols would be very difficult. Nonetheless, I have researched the Dune ip protocol api, and it appears to only support sending commands to the Dune player, not really much along the lines of retrieving information from it other than if it is playing something, but the specs dont even mention it reporting a file name, let alone any meaningful metadata, so that means we'd need to try to hook into Yadis, zappiti or whatever indexer. I havent found much of a way to retrieve playback status from these either,probably due to a lack of the Dune player reporting it. So that pretty much stopped anything moving forward for the Dune player right there. If I had a Dune, i might look into it more, but I'm pretty happy with the power and flexibility of xbmc smile.gif So right now, the most significant progress towards getting Dune support, if you really want it, would be getting a Dune player in my hands. Although based on what I've seen of the Dune IP protocol, it might still be a long shot.

I apologize if any of that came across too harsh. Now that that's over with.. lets get back to more constructive things.

I've had my dev build running with autoplay trailers turned on for a few days now and have had zero issues with it freezing on an unplayable trailer. Testing on all of the other new features I mentioned in previous posts is also going well with no major glitches found The only feature I have left to finish up before the next release is ready is eventghost integration. This will allow MoviePoster to send a command that will turn your display on when the 'Now Playing' poster is active, as well as to receive commands. This will allow you to automate the display however you choose using the scripting capabilities of eventghost.

personally, I think that the motionposter feature is pretty cool. Has anyone managed to find a source for higher quality motionposters? regardless of the format? most of the ones I have found are fairly low resolution. The best I've found so far are in video format on youtube and vimeo. (video motionposters are supported for the next release ) It would be nice to find a source for them in at least 720p.

Ive also thought about adding support for RSS feeds. Do you think it would be useful to have a news feed display somehow? Where would you like to see it? This might be able to also display scores and real time stats of sporting events if I can parse out the feeds.

Are there any other features that you'd like to see, other that other media players for the 'Now Playing' feature? maybe the ability to show the upcoming movie schedule with multiple banners and showtimes listed?
post #279 of 885 Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Plex works with unraid. If you can get it to work with that it would help quite a bit.
Meyer
I don't think what you are asking is unreasonable at all. That is a very good price. I was only mentioning Yadis and those other indexers to broaden the fan base.

If only I knew more.
post #280 of 885 Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Dupe post

If only I knew more.
post #281 of 885 Old 05-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Liked: 18
Don't know if this has been suggested yet, but has anyone looked into using a Raspberry Pi running XBMC for the movie posters? I mean it's easy enough to run a video and power cable from a PC running XBMC, but could this be built into the box along with the screen and have an all-in-one solution? Just a thought...
post #282 of 885 Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MoviePoster is written in c# using the .Net framework and WPF for the GUI so windows is a prerequisite therefore it needs to run on a PC. I've looked into porting some of the classes to java or python but never made it very far. For me there wasnt much advantage to porting it since I had a cheap low power PC laying around anyway. I know C# development and have dabbled in WPF in the past so choosing c#/WPF made development faster.
There are clearly some advantages to running it on something like the Pi or an android device; namely cheap, low power devices. However it would require most of the system to be coded from scratch as it was never really intended to be multiplatform. I know there is at least one poster application in the Google Play Store for android, 10,000 poster is the name if i remember right. But it doesnt support many of the features that MoviePoster does.
post #283 of 885 Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another Development Update:
I'm not sure how many of you manually add posters to the cache. In the past it was a bit cumbersome and you needed to specify the imbd id of the movie you wanted to add. I'm happy to announce that I just finished initial testing of search functionality. Now you can search by movie title, view the results of the search (including the poster) and add posters to the cache through the web remote. There's probably a bit of polishing up to do, but so far its working well.
post #284 of 885 Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Liked: 21
out of curiosity, i wonder why they dont make a digital picture frame the size of a poster. This way you can just create a slide show and upload pics via sd card.
No dedicated computer needed.

post #285 of 885 Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually, I believe that a lot of the newer smart tvs do allow you to view a photo slideshow from SD or USB. Even my 2006 Panasonic plasma offers this. If all you want is a poster slideshow that you need to manually add new posters to it might work very well. My software offers much more including automatically downloading new posters with metadata, trailer support, motionposter support including video playback, animated transitions, web based remote control (think ipad), custom lists, integration with xbmc to show currently playing poster art, trivia slides with Q&A, etc.
post #286 of 885 Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Actually, I believe that a lot of the newer smart tvs do allow you to view a photo slideshow from SD or USB. Even my 2006 Panasonic plasma offers this. If all you want is a poster slideshow that you need to manually add new posters to it might work very well. My software offers much more including automatically downloading new posters with metadata, trailer support, motionposter support including video playback, animated transitions, web based remote control (think ipad), custom lists, integration with xbmc to show currently playing poster art, trivia slides with Q&A, etc.

hey just found this on amazon

remote, pictures, movies, sensor now all they gotta to is make it poster size. smile.gif

NIX Motion Sensor for your ultimate convenience - no more hands!
Hi-Res 800 x 600 SVGA LED Backlit Screen 4:3 ratio, Auto Rotate Sensor, Remote Control
Amazing Auto-Resizing re-sizes photos to optimal size fitting 16000 Photos on a 2GB internal memory
NIX 'Azure Blue' Touch Controls on Obsidian Black Frame, 2 x 2W Speakers, Wall Mounting Hook Holes
Photo (jpeg), Video (MP4), Music (MP3), SDHC, SD, SDHC & USB Flash Drive
post #287 of 885 Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For anyone who may be interested, I have developed an EventGhost plugin for control of MoviePoster. This might be useful if you want to setup a remote other than the web remote to control basic functions. There are a few functions defined that wont work in the currently released version of MoviePoster, like the shutdown, reboot, and quit commands, but the rest should work as is.

To use it, just copy the MoviePoster folder in the attached zip to your EventGhost plugins directory and add the plugin in your eventghost tree and set up your events.
I have noticed that if you use the IP of MoviePoster its a bit faster than if you use the hostname in the configuration.
The plugin simply interfaces with the MoviePoster webserver to execute commands.

MoviePosterEventGhostPlugin.zip 4k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip MoviePosterEventGhostPlugin.zip (3.7 KB, 7 views)
post #288 of 885 Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey man, keep up the good work. Just sent you a donation my friend.
post #289 of 885 Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Liked: 12
After running MoviePoster for sometime I get the following error message:

MoviePoster has stopped working
A problem caused this program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

This happens quite often. Windows 8.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #290 of 885 Old 05-19-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me23 View Post

Hey man, keep up the good work. Just sent you a donation my friend.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.
post #291 of 885 Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loma View Post

After running MoviePoster for sometime I get the following error message:

MoviePoster has stopped working
A problem caused this program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

This happens quite often. Windows 8.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hmmm. I haven't done any testing on windows 8 so I'm unsure if that would have anything to do with it. I did have an issue once with the program crashing on me if it happened to fill up the hard drive though so maybe check that. Otherwise I have made quite a few changes to make the program more efficient so that error might go away in the next release. When I get time I'll send you a copy of my current development build to test. It's not quite ready for official release though. I leave mine running 24/7 and have no issues with it crashing.
post #292 of 885 Old 05-19-2013, 04:21 PM

are there any plans for a mac version?
post #293 of 885 Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #294 of 885 Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Hmmm. I haven't done any testing on windows 8 so I'm unsure if that would have anything to do with it. I did have an issue once with the program crashing on me if it happened to fill up the hard drive though so maybe check that. Otherwise I have made quite a few changes to make the program more efficient so that error might go away in the next release. When I get time I'll send you a copy of my current development build to test. It's not quite ready for official release though. I leave mine running 24/7 and have no issues with it crashing.

Thanks. I have it on my server which has ample availability. So I don't think it is that.However, I'll keep checking. I'll also await the new build to test. You should have my email if that's how you will send it.
post #295 of 885 Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I have it on my server which has ample availability. So I don't think it is that.However, I'll keep checking. I'll also await the new build to test. You should have my email if that's how you will send it.

PM me with your email address when you get a chance. although I am getting pretty close to having the next release ready. Probably only a couple days away.
post #296 of 885 Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I'm finishing up the EventGhost integration. I realize that this might not be a widely used feature, but i'd like some feedback on events that you might like to be able to react to using EventGhost.
First, a little background:
My vision when implementing this was to allow the poster display to always be on when I want it to be without having to turn it on myself. This was an extension of my motion detector module that I discussed earlier. I implemented native serial control into MoviePoster so I could send a command to my display to turn it on when any of the 'Now Playing' screens are shown and to keep it on until the movie is finished, regardless if there motion detected in the area or not.
I know that a lot of people wont be building motion detection hardware the way i did, but it might still be nice to have a bit of automation. I chose to integrate with EventGhost because I use it for automating several things in my theater so I am familiar with it. EventGhost will allow you to react to events in pretty much any way that you can think of. So when MoviePoster displays a 'Now Playing' screen, it generates an event in eventghost using the network event receiver plugin. Then, you can do whatever you want based on that event, like invoking an action to send an IR code to turn on your display.

So far i've defined the events below that MoviePoster can generate:

SendToEventGhost("MoviePoster:TriggerDisplayOn"); //invoked when any 'Now playing' screen is shown and repeated every couple minutes until playback stops.

SendToEventGhost("MoviePoster:TriggerDisplayOff"); // so far only for testing

SendToEventGhost("MoviePoster:TrailerPlaybackStarted"); //invoked when trailer playback starts

SendToEventGhost("MoviePoster:TrailerPlaybackStopped"); //invoked when trailer playback stops or fails

SendToEventGhost("MoviePoster:PosterDisplayed:"+imdbid+"-"+title); //invoked when a new poster is displayed.

Using the EventGhost plugin I posted a few posts back you can also control MoviePoster with EventGhost. Right now, that only includes the basic commands that are on the web remote, but I plan to add events to display a specific poster or file using eventghost. This will let you add your own automation routines that arent already supported in MoviePoster. For example, you could have EventGhost send a command to show your theater logo or intro video every half hour or at the push of a button.

So my question is, Are there any other events would you like MoviePoster to generate? And are there any other commands you'd like to be able to send to MoviePoster?
post #297 of 885 Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I continued checking and it may be an overload. Can the number of posters be limited? How do you set up a custom list?

Further check. It still gives the error which indicates it may not be overload.
post #298 of 885 Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I continued checking and it may be an overload. Can the number of posters be limited? How do you set up a custom list?

Further check. It still gives the error which indicates it may not be overload.

There was an issue with one of the earlier builds where it would start to use a lot of memory if there were a lot of posters in the cache. Its fixed now, but the last release might still have that bug. I don't recall.

Custom lists are pretty easy to set up. The advantage is that you have full control over which posters are shown. You need to use the web remote to set them up. First select Custom Lists from the nav bar. Then click the plus button in the top right:

Enter the name for your new custom list:

then you'll be back at the Custom List page. but your newly created list might not show up until you refresh the page.
Next select your list to open the list editor.

The list editor may take a long time to load if you have a lot of cached posters. This has been significantly improved in my dev build though since ive implemented lazy loading of the poster images.
Here simply check the boxes next to the posters you want to add to your list. They will be immediately added when you check the box. you can use the search bar at the top to help find a specific poster if you dont want to scroll the list.

You can enable using custom lists and choose the list you want to use on the remote page of the web remote.

Note: When Custom Lists are enabled, no new posters are downloaded unless you manually initiate the process using the 'download new posters' button.
post #299 of 885 Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 PM

Thanks Meyer. Will try setting up custom lists and also await the release to see if it corrects the error.

I did send you my email address.
post #300 of 885 Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Just wanted to share "Air KeyBoard" --- i was looking for a way to have a remote keyboard or a to hack a keyboard and just have 3 -4 buttons near my movie poster tv so as people walked by my movie poster board they could start a trailer if a poster seemed interesting to them ... I played a bit with hacking the gutts of a key board and it did not work ... (although i don't even know if i started with a working keyboard) Then i started to look for a programmable keyboard ... too expensive....

the option i found that works great is using "air keyboard" - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-keyboard-for-iphone/id541873446

it works great to remotely control the poster board as well as i can just tap T on my iphone, and it plays a trailer on my large dedicated poster board tv .....

works awesome!
fibertech likes this.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page