Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #541 of 885 Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The showtimes list is managed using the Web remote. You pick the movies you want displayed and enter your own showtime text. The text can be anything like a specific time, day, whatever. It currently has no actual sense of time, the times entered are only used for display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 885 Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

The showtimes list is managed using the Web remote. You pick the movies you want displayed and enter your own showtime text. The text can be anything like a specific time, day, whatever. It currently has no actual sense of time, the times entered are only used for display.

Might i suggest using xbmc's playlist queue. It has all relevant info so no user input is needed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
post #543 of 885 Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Why not both?

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #544 of 885 Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Long hours at work have taken away a lot of my free time to work on MoviePoster. Rest assured, I will continue to make updates, just not as quickly as I would like. I know many of you would like see the the new features and improvements I've been working on, so I am posting a 'Preview' build available for download at http://movieposterapp.com/ Some features are incomplete and I'm sure there are bugs, but it will at least give you all something new to play with.
post #545 of 885 Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Wanted to share my work in progress. Planning on building a box with some scrap plywood, then covering it with some molding and painting it black to match the other posters. My wife is a Disney nut, so she painted the "Page Theater" in Disney font above the entry door to the theater. Since this would be outside with it, I decided to violate some copyrights and made a mock 1990's Disney logo for the opening welcome screen. My paint.net skills would not allow me to make the modern 3D one.

My DVD Collection
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #546 of 885 Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

Wanted to share my work in progress. Planning on building a box with some scrap plywood, then covering it with some molding and painting it black to match the other posters. My wife is a Disney nut, so she painted the "Page Theater" in Disney font above the entry door to the theater. Since this would be outside with it, I decided to violate some copyrights and made a mock 1990's Disney logo for the opening welcome screen. My paint.net skills would not allow me to make the modern 3D one.

Looking Good! What size screen did you use?
post #547 of 885 Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

47" 1080p Insignia. I could not justify spending a lot on this project. I used my wifes former laptop that I spilled a drink on the keyboard. A $14 portrait wall mount from monoprice and the TV was an open box at Best Buy for $250. Like I said before, Best Buy store locator has an open box and clearance section. I strongly recommend looking there for deals on flat screens. I could not justify spending a ton on this project. That clearance section is a good way to do it.

My DVD Collection
post #548 of 885 Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 564
is there a FAQ or tutorial, or any support for this program? i'm having tons of issues and I don't want to waste everybody's time, but I can't find anything.

I guess the first step, I can't open the webcontrol. it just hangs and never, ever loads...

then i'll worry about how to use the posters I already have instead of getting random ones for movies I don't have tongue.gif

a reboot and chrome seemed to fix my first problem. so, wondering if there is a way to either use the posters that I already have(I use media center master to automatically grab posters and metadata) or if there is some other way to get posters/trailers automatically for only the movies I have.

unfortunately, the lcd I had lieing around isn't getting recognized by my PC, yet another problem(but nothing to do with the program) so I've been unable to test it out as an extended monitor running in the background. i'm also wondering though, if there is a way to get the audio for trailers to that 'extended monitor' directly? that might be a hardware limitation, but i'm curious if anybody has managed this and if so how? naturally the appeal to all of these dies pretty quickly as the costs go up. i'm not sure I want to buy a new tv, let alone build a dedicated little PC to run it too. might be limited to no audio(and thus no trailers), which is still pretty cool by itself.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #549 of 885 Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

For those in the area: Frys is having a Toshiba TV blowout for in store purchases today only: http://www.frys.com/search?plusearch=7576676%207576686%207576696%207576716%207576776%207576786&site:P11_SAT&date=110213
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

so, wondering if there is a way to either use the posters that I already have(I use media center master to automatically grab posters and metadata) or if there is some other way to get posters/trailers automatically for only the movies I have.
In the settings you can tell the program where to find your own posters. Right click to access it in the program.
Quote:
unfortunately, the lcd I had lieing around isn't getting recognized by my PC, yet another problem(but nothing to do with the program) so I've been unable to test it out as an extended monitor running in the background. i'm also wondering though, if there is a way to get the audio for trailers to that 'extended monitor' directly? that might be a hardware limitation, but i'm curious if anybody has managed this and if so how? naturally the appeal to all of these dies pretty quickly as the costs go up. i'm not sure I want to buy a new tv, let alone build a dedicated little PC to run it too. might be limited to no audio(and thus no trailers), which is still pretty cool by itself.

Need more info. How do you have the LCD connected? HDMI, DVI VGA? This matters when coming for sound. What is your operating system?

My DVD Collection
post #550 of 885 Old 11-02-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

cool. i'll check that out to see if I can get it working automatically. i'm at a crossroads with the project, whether I want to spend money and get a tv specifically for this, or not spend money and 'make it work' with what I have lieing around. I was unable to get the extra lcd I had lieing around to connect to my htpc, but got it to connect to my zbox in my bedroom. i'm tinkering with that right now, so see if that's going to be a viable option

so if I spend money and get a new display, it'll be hooked up as an extended monitor via DVI from my htpc. the htpc currently transmits audio via hdmi to my receiver. it also has outputs for digital out and composite audio but I highly doubt it supports simultaneous use

if I end up using the zbox, i'll treat it more like a dedicated source for the posters. I rarely use it in my bedroom anymore due to the cable company being Nazis and not allowing anything other then their cable boxes to decode the signal. so no more pvr on the htpc, and networking it to everywhere in the house. i'm forced to use a pvr in the bedroom from the cable company. anyway, if that's the case, i'll just set it up via hdmi and send the audio right to the tv and let it handle the audio normally.

it's definitely a super cool program and I love its potential. I just wish the hardware to actually use it wasn't so annoyingly expensive. I feel like a dedicated pc for this purpose only would cost like 50bux, and a simple low quality display could be 100 or less. but i'm forced to look at stuff that's way overkill since what I already have doesn't seem to play nicely together. mad.gif i'm at the point where i'm looking around the house to see what 'needs to be upgrade' so I can use that tv or pc for this after its replaced, haha.

post #551 of 885 Old 11-02-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually, movieposter does have support for selecting any available audio output device. So you can have your xbmc audio going out over hdmi and movieposter using an analog or optical output.
post #552 of 885 Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, movieposter does have support for selecting any available audio output device. So you can have your xbmc audio going out over hdmi and movieposter using an analog or optical output.

I saw the option in the settings menu, but I assumed it would be hardware dependent as well no? guess i'll have to break out the old rca cables and test it out.

again, sweet program, i'm just starting to get into it, and i'm basically running a 'trial period' to see if I want to go all in and get a new display as well. I managed to get it to run over vga to an old lcd and it's pretty impressive as is. the only thing I have left to figure out to make it perfect is how to sync up poster/trailer downloads with my media list as i'm not using xbmc. certainly not a big deal to manually update it whenever I get a new movie, I only have the most recent 10 or so cycling through anyway, but it would be unreal if I could set it to watch say my 'recently added' folder and mirror whatever movies are in that. I don't think the naming system works though, and I need to maintain that to work with media browser.

on a side note, small LCD's with the built in dvd players stand on their sides very well, haha... tongue.gif

1458640_10153424747610032_1002861519_n.jpg
this should do until I decide how I want to proceed

Much thanks for your work

post #553 of 885 Old 11-02-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Meyer, quick question. I know you designed this to set up favorite lists, but I notice that there is quite a bit of repeating of poster despite hundreds in Cache. Any way I can solve that?

My DVD Collection
post #554 of 885 Old 11-02-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Meyer, quick question. I know you designed this to set up favorite lists, but I notice that there is quite a bit of repeating of poster despite hundreds in Cache. Any way I can solve that?

it would be pretty cool if you could assign 'priority' ratings to your movies. give the option so that maybe your favourites get played more often on purpose

is there a way to change the 'coming soon' title at the top? all the movies i'm displaying are already here, i'd like to change it to 'New arrivals" or "now showing", something like that. right now I've just renamed the 'now showing' gif as 'coming soon' so that it shows up for my posters, but it doesn't seem to work with other gifs I've tried

post #555 of 885 Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Long hours at work have taken away a lot of my free time to work on MoviePoster. Rest assured, I will continue to make updates, just not as quickly as I would like. I know many of you would like see the the new features and improvements I've been working on, so I am posting a 'Preview' build available for download at http://movieposterapp.com/ Some features are incomplete and I'm sure there are bugs, but it will at least give you all something new to play with.

Downloaded your preview version and will not run. Continue to get errors but no biggie the stable works good.

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE (L/R)---Ascend 340 SE Center---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #556 of 885 Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've noticed that at times too. Its just never bothered me enough to look into it since I use custom lists most of the time. There are a couple reasons that some posters could be displayed more frequently though. If a particular movie happens to be in the 'TopRated', 'Upcoming', and 'Popular' categories on TMDB, then that movie could get added to the display queue three times, where others might only get added once. I added code this morning to check if a movie is already in the display queue before adding it, so there should be no duplicates like that. In the current release, the only way to 'fix' this behavior would be to uncheck some of the TMDB categories.

Another case that could cause posters to load more frequently is when MoviePoster is in the process of retrieving the list of movies from TMDB. By default, during this time, it picks movies from the cache at random. It is possible that it can randomly pick some posters more frequently than others. I'll add code to check if a randomly selected poster has been displayed recently to resolve this also.
post #557 of 885 Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it would be pretty cool if you could assign 'priority' ratings to your movies. give the option so that maybe your favourites get played more often on purpose

is there a way to change the 'coming soon' title at the top? all the movies i'm displaying are already here, i'd like to change it to 'New arrivals" or "now showing", something like that. right now I've just renamed the 'now showing' gif as 'coming soon' so that it shows up for my posters, but it doesn't seem to work with other gifs I've tried

It would be possible to add a rating system. Maybe like a 5 star range or something.

Yes, you can change the banners by modifying the Theme files. the banners are stored under MoviePoster/Images/Themes/ThemeName/Banners as you have discovered. They are actually png files. As long as you keep the file names the same, you can change them to display anything you like. I do have some code in place to allow you to specify custom banners in the .nfo file, but that isn't finished yet.
fierce_gt likes this.
post #558 of 885 Old 11-03-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

Downloaded your preview version and will not run. Continue to get errors but no biggie the stable works good.
Did you try to copy the Preview files into an existing installation or did you start from scratch? Some of the files have moved so if they aren't where the program expects it wont run properly. If you want to carry over posters from a previous install, I'd recommend just copying the Cache/Movies folder and your .lic file (registration) from your old install to the new one. Some of the other files are now located in a System folder, if that folder is not present the program wont run.
post #559 of 885 Old 11-03-2013, 05:09 PM

meyer: Downloaded the Preview. It stops at the Custom poster and a black image flashes where a trailer normally plays for the movie posters. Attached is the log.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19298307/logfile.log
post #560 of 885 Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It would be possible to add a rating system. Maybe like a 5 star range or something.

Yes, you can change the banners by modifying the Theme files. the banners are stored under MoviePoster/Images/Themes/ThemeName/Banners as you have discovered. They are actually png files. As long as you keep the file names the same, you can change them to display anything you like. I do have some code in place to allow you to specify custom banners in the .nfo file, but that isn't finished yet.

yeah, the 5 star rating thing is exactly what I was thinking. maybe default everything to 3 stars, so if ppl don't want to mess with it, they don't have to. and you can make your favourite movies/trailers/etc 4 or 5 stars, or if there's one trailer that's just super long or you don't like the movie as much you can go with 1 or 2 stars. you could even steal a trick from iTunes and maybe automatically put the 4 and 5 star rated movies into the 'favourites' folder?

that explains why the gifs weren't working, derp. I just assumed they were gifs without even checking. i'm pretty content having just renamed the files so that 'now playing' comes up all the time. I made myself a new load screen as well, but haven't gotten too ambitious yet.

checked out the audio today, and i'm amazed, even the teeny little zbox with onboard audio has no problem doing simultaneous audio. got the digital audio out going to my receiver, and the headphone/speaker audio out going to my poster display.

i'm seriously running out of things to even wish for, let alone complain about, haha. Great job! can't wait to see what you have coming next smile.gif the custom banners sounds great, then you could run "now showing" and "coming soon" in the same rotation and have the headings actually relate to each movie.

post #561 of 885 Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Did you try to copy the Preview files into an existing installation or did you start from scratch? Some of the files have moved so if they aren't where the program expects it wont run properly. If you want to carry over posters from a previous install, I'd recommend just copying the Cache/Movies folder and your .lic file (registration) from your old install to the new one. Some of the other files are now located in a System folder, if that folder is not present the program wont run.

I tried both (copied preview into old and copied .lic into new) but didn't have time to see what the problem was for sure. Might have some extra time this week to look at it closer.

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE (L/R)---Ascend 340 SE Center---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #562 of 885 Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the best way to make an nfo file for it to fetch a trailer for your own poster? I have a good dozen motion posters, but only have a Wolverine poster that is already downloaded and it loads the motion poster with the trailer and looks great. Is there anyway to make the app get specific posters and trailers?

My DVD Collection
post #563 of 885 Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is the best way to make an nfo file for it to fetch a trailer for your own poster? I have a good dozen motion posters, but only have a Wolverine poster that is already downloaded and it loads the motion poster with the trailer and looks great. Is there anyway to make the app get specific posters and trailers?

If you want a trailer other than what is automatically downloaded or for a custom poster you have created, you can download the video yourself and put in in the cached folder for the poster. Most common video formats are supported. As long as the file name ends in -trailer (ex: Avatar-trailer.mp4) it will be loaded. When a local trailer is available, the trailer data in the .nfo is ignored, so you don't need to worry about changing it.

You can change the poster for a particular movie using the web remote. If you click on the options button on the right side of a poster in the list you will be able to choose an alternate poster for that title.

You can also search for and add posters using the web remote. On the cache page, there is a little blue + icon in the top right corner. Click that to open the search page.
post #564 of 885 Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

great. i totally missed the search option. I will try that tonight.

My DVD Collection
post #565 of 885 Old 11-05-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have added a FAQ page to the movieposter web site. (Link) Its still a work in progress, but hopefully it will make finding answers to common questions a bit easier.
post #566 of 885 Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

A FAQ section is a great idea. From what I understand, I set the timer for the posters, (30 secs) If I select a trailer to play or it plays automatically it will pause that timer until the trailer closes. Is that correct?

My DVD Collection
post #567 of 885 Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #568 of 885 Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 AM

I had some time to play around with the preview and I have gotten it to work. I can connect to the remote from my tablet but I can not seem to get the + buttons on the top right to bring up anything. It will take me to a blank page.
Also how does one get the showtime to work? Do I need to edit the .xml file? And if so what tags should be included?
Thanks

post #569 of 885 Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

I had some time to play around with the preview and I have gotten it to work. I can connect to the remote from my tablet but I can not seem to get the + buttons on the top right to bring up anything. It will take me to a blank page.
Also how does one get the showtime to work? Do I need to edit the .xml file? And if so what tags should be included?
Thanks

You might need to clear the cached files on your tablet. I had an issue a couple times during testing where the browser would bring up cached files for some of the menu pages instead of the updated ones. If you dont see a Showtimes button on the bottom menu bar, this is most likely the case.

The showtimes button should bring you to the showtimes list:

the plus button in the top right will allow you to search for a poster and add it to the showtime list. NOTE: at this time, only posters in the cache are returned in the search, so if you want a showtime for a new movie, you might need to add it to the cache first.

Type in the text you want displayed and click Add Showtime:

There should be no need to manually edit the xml, but if you really want to the format would look like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<showtimes>
  <movie>
    <guid>6f8fcde36914407e9116e9c5e7d07753</guid>
    <imdbid>tt0848228</imdbid>
    <showtimetext>
    </showtimetext>
  </movie>
  <movie>
    <guid>765ec9bc894743c6838637938462c5e9</guid>
    <imdbid>tt0800369</imdbid>
    <showtimetext>
    </showtimetext>
  </movie>
  <movie>
    <guid>f0dfa75335964276a7e1a1096e4a2e8b</guid>
    <imdbid>tt1300854</imdbid>
    <showtimetext>Tonight</showtimetext>
  </movie>
</showtimes>
post #570 of 885 Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM

I have cleared the cache and still no search results when pressing the search button.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page