MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #901 of 919 Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it possible to map the trailer 'T' shortcut key to a different key? I want to use a pushbutton and Teensy to map the button to the keyboard so someone can push the button to watch the trailer. But I plan to put up 2 of these and run 2 instances of Movie Poster and would like to be able to have a push button for each poster to be able to play the trailer.

This is probably one of the coolest apps I've seen, even my wife was impressed Thanks for all your hard work and donation coming shortly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 919 Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
good job!

I use this movie poster software for create posters. Its very easy and fast. Somewhat later I will let down my posters here
post #903 of 919 Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin00 View Post
Is it possible to map the trailer 'T' shortcut key to a different key? I want to use a pushbutton and Teensy to map the button to the keyboard so someone can push the button to watch the trailer. But I plan to put up 2 of these and run 2 instances of Movie Poster and would like to be able to have a push button for each poster to be able to play the trailer.

This is probably one of the coolest apps I've seen, even my wife was impressed Thanks for all your hard work and donation coming shortly!
This is what I used for what you say.

http://pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=102
post #904 of 919 Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Also, just to share another project idea of mine:
I didn't want to leave the poster display on all the time and it is a bit tedious to have to turn it on and off all the time. So I designed a solution to use a Teensy USB development board (like an arduino) , a PIR motion sensor, and some relays to control the screen. the plan is that the device will watch for motion in the area, turn on the screen and wakes up the PC. When no motion is detected for say 30 minutes, it turns the screen off. It will monitor the power state of the screen so it wont send the 'power on' button press if the screen is already on. This will be independent of the PC, so it can be used even if the PC is set to go to standby after a set amount of time. The Teensy can send a simulated keyboard event over USB to wake the PC in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
I have my motion sensor project working! I used a PIR motion sensor, a Teensy USB development board, and an arduino relay module.

This is my PIR motion sensor:

for now I just set it on top of the poster display, but eventually I'll make a nice housing for it and either wall or ceiling mount it.
It has a 3 pin connector, with +5v, ground, and +3.3v signal output. the signal output goes high when motion is detected and low when there is no motion.

the +5v and ground are supplied by the usb connection to the Teensy board. the 3.3v trigger is connected back to one of the digital inputs on the Teensy.

Also connected to the Teensy Board, is a 5v arduino relay module. the relay is triggered by one of the Teensy digital IO pins and is wired to the TV's button panel to simulate a button push on the power button. You could also send a power code over IR if you wanted to.

I also have a signal wire running from the IR/LED module to one of the analog inputs on the Teensy. This is used to determine the power state of the TV. when its on, approx 3v is sent to an analog input on the teensy. I chose to use the analog input simply to avoid connecting any extra circuitry to make it work on the digital inputs. (need at least 3.3v to signal HIGH input). this way we only simulate a power button push to turn the tv on if its in the off state, if its already on, the relay doesnt need to be triggered because it would turn the screen off instead.

Once motion is detected, the relay is triggered to turn the screen on. after a set amount of time (i figured 20 minutes was good), the relay is triggered again to turn the screen off. every time motion is detected the timeout is reset, so the screen will stay on as long as there is movement before the 20 min timeout expires. The code i wrote for the Teensy also watches for Strings to be sent over USB-Serial so I can send a command from the MoviePoster software to turn the screen on. For example, I always want the poster display on when a movie is playing, regardless of if motion is detected. this could also be used to turn the display on and off at certain times of day.

This is beautiful,

Just came across this thread. I was contemplating using a digital signage software program that can display posters, videos and all that on a monitor as you do but your program is so much nicer for this purpose.

I'm curious about your motion sensor project. That is exactly how I would want to set up a display. Don't want it on all the time, or deal with turning it on and off. I want it on when it senses motion during certain time of the day and perhaps only on certain days. In fact I just ordered earlier this week a mini motion sensor for a Home Theater Marquee sign that I'm making to turn LED lights on and off. It simply gets wired in to the power supply for turning on and off.

How did yours turn out. I may have missed as I was skimming thru your posts and didn't see it mentioned it again. Does it perform they way you expected it to. I know you list all the products that you used but do you have a rough estimate of cost (I know its been a while but just wondering).

Finally is this project plug and play or is some basic coding required? I would love to do this but not sure I would be able to if that is the case. My son can, so I can call on him for help if it's anything substantial. However, he's gonna out of state and Dad's project probably wouldn't take priority.

Really love what you have done. If I can make this project happen you will have my support.

BTW PLEX user, so if you ever make it work on that platform that would be awesome.

EDIT: Found this helpful post.

MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software.

Man my wife is gonna kill me when she see's what I wanna do with a flat panel

Last edited by oman321; 08-29-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #905 of 919 Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraptor View Post
This is what I used for what you say.

http://pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=102
How did you tell MoviePoster which trailer to start or do you just run the same thing on multiple screens? Or does your solution allow you to enter the program .exe and then a key stroke as well? I like this idea, I just don't want to have 2 different trailers playing at the same time over each other.
post #906 of 919 Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Attachment 238721

My cheap Michaels mount for my monitor dressed up a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140719_114006_Android.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	238745  

Robert Clark

Last edited by Robert Clark; 08-31-2014 at 10:15 AM.
post #907 of 919 Old 09-08-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin00 View Post
How did you tell MoviePoster which trailer to start or do you just run the same thing on multiple screens? Or does your solution allow you to enter the program .exe and then a key stroke as well? I like this idea, I just don't want to have 2 different trailers playing at the same time over each other.
you run the same thing
post #908 of 919 Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there a way to incorporate this software into a setup that uses an Oppo 103d as the media device?
post #909 of 919 Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The only way I can think of doing that would be to use Mediabrowser3 and have the Oppo as the playback device using the play to DLNA feature. Then with the integration with Mediabrowser3 movie poster will display the now showing poster... this may also be possible with XBMC but I don't use that software - it would have to go something like this;

MB3 web client (phone/tablet/PC) to browse and select the movie to watch
Play to DLNA
Oppo is render device for DLNA

I can't test anything with movie poster as we are waiting for the new release with MB3 integration, but I will test out the MB3 play to Oppo if that helps for now??

Good luck...
post #910 of 919 Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
The only way I can think of doing that would be to use Mediabrowser3 and have the Oppo as the playback device using the play to DLNA feature. Then with the integration with Mediabrowser3 movie poster will display the now showing poster... this may also be possible with XBMC but I don't use that software - it would have to go something like this;

MB3 web client (phone/tablet/PC) to browse and select the movie to watch
Play to DLNA
Oppo is render device for DLNA

I can't test anything with movie poster as we are waiting for the new release with MB3 integration, but I will test out the MB3 play to Oppo if that helps for now??

Good luck...
That would be awesome! I haven't purchased my Oppo yet, but it will be the centerpiece of my setup when I pick one up next month.
post #911 of 919 Old 09-19-2014, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Meyer, any update? I can't reliably run this without intermittent lookups or blue screens.
post #912 of 919 Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have run into a bit of an issue. It downloads new posters just fine, however it does not download new trailers to go with them. (even when I tell it manually to do so) Any body have the same issue? I think I am going to do a complete uninstall reinstall and see if that helps.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #913 of 919 Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
When will the software be bumped to the next level? 1.7 still a preview?
post #914 of 919 Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I second dukedallas's post. Any word on the next release? I have finally had the chance to revisit this project, as I have a more robust Win7 machine now. Monitor is mounted on the wall and I am able to run 1.0.1.7 Preview with no issues EXCEPT the lack of being able to create custom lists. If I revert back to 1.0.1.6, then it won't talk to my Pi's build of XBMC (13.2 Gotham) and I get nothing when playing a movie. It's connected to the Pi, but MoviePoster just won't show "Now Playing". It freezes the poster that was up at the time and will resume the slideshow as soon as I stop the movie. If I launch 1.0.1.7 again, all is fine with "Now Playing". So, at this point I can either create custom lists and not have "Now Playing" work or no custom lists and a functional "Now Playing".
dukedallas2005 likes this.

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
post #915 of 919 Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is this project dead? Haven't seen any updates in months.
post #916 of 919 Old 10-09-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The project is not dead. Unfortunately, life events had taken priority again and I have had next to no time to work on the program. It is likely that 1.0.1.7 will never see a final build. Instead the next release will probably jump to 2.0 as the plugin system along with MB3 support will be major new features. I sincerely apologize that it has taken so long to wrap it up and get it published. I wish I could give you guys a timeframe for the release , but for reasons out of my control my free time is very unpredictable at the moment. I can assure you that the code is close to finished. Everything for the plugins and mb3 is working. It's just not user friendly as far as changing settings. (All hard coded for testing or in XML files, no GUI) I didn't want to release a build that I know would require support from me that I likely wouldn't be able to provide in a timely manner. I'll be re shingling my roof this weekend, then hopefully I'll have time to sit down and get the next build ready for you to use. Thanks for your support.
sucher and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #917 of 919 Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
no worries man. we all appreciate everything you've already done, and the MB3 support is well worth the wait!

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #918 of 919 Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the reply Meyer, look forward to it.
post #919 of 919 Old 10-19-2014, 07:11 AM

Liked: 20
Just curious if anyone else has recently had their motion posters stop playing. All I get is a black screen where the motion poster should be. Ones that are in gif format are fine, it just appears to be only ones in format like avi or mov, etc.

I tried playing the files myself by clicking on them manually and they play fine in windows media player, so I don't think there is a codec issue.

This is a dedicated win7 machine that does nothing but sit and run movieposter, so the only things that have changed on it would be regular windows updates. It doesn't get touched otherwise and there is no other software on it.

I guess I can start uninstalling all the recent windows updates from the past week, but I thought I would check here first to see if anyone else was experiencing any issues.

I also noticed that the movie trailers won't play either, but I am not sure if that is a recent development as I haven't tried to watch one in a long time. I tried the youtube dll update mentioned in this thread a while back but that didn't fix it either. I do recall that fixed it a long time ago when I had that issue.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page