AVS Forum banner

MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software.

523K views 4K replies 471 participants last post by  meyer64 
#1 · (Edited)
In the process of building my home theater, I decided that I wanted to have a secondary display acting as a virtual movie poster to display information about the currently playing media as well as posters for movies coming soon. I was unable to find any software to do what I wanted so i set out to make my own. MoviePoster is intended to be run on a display in portrait mode and supports its own rotation mechanism for PCs that don't have native screen rotation support.
The application connects to to xbmc using the JSONRPC interface to get information about the currently playing media. When no media is playing it will display movie posters for upcoming films either downloaded from themoviedb.org or loaded from a local cache.
Trailers can be streamed from youtube using links provided in themoviedb metadata. There is also a web based remote control interface for changing posters, activating trailers and creating custom poster lists.

Version 2.2.0.1 is available now...

Notable changes include:
-fixes to the Kodi plugin to better support Kodi 16.
-Improvements to the webview displays.
-addition of a Landscape layout webview display
-ability to change the fonts and colors used for taglines and playback time text.
-adjustments to the WebRemote settings layout.
-option to render posters internally at 4k resolution (This MIGHT improve image quality on 4k TVs, but uses about twice the RAM)
-uses a shortcut in the startup folder instead of the registry to start with Windows. - this fixes the webserver not starting bug.
-fixed a couple bugs in the source settings.

MoviePoster 2.2.0.1 7-zip Archive - Just extract and run MoviePoster.exe

MoviePoster 2.2.0.1 msi installer - Uninstall older versions that used an installer first.

The MoviePoster Definitive Guide is a continual work in progress set up guide and answers to the most common questions.

Dev Builds include the newest features and bug fixes, but have had more limited testing. These are usually pretty stable and are the versions I run myself. However, some bugs might sneak through and are best for people who want to be on the bleeding edge and don't mind reporting issues.

MoviePoster Dev version 2.3.0.6 (9/4/2022) is now available for download. Please note that while this build includes new features and fixes there may still be unknown issues. This build does not include an installer. To run, simply extract the .7z archive using 7-zip to your preferred folder and run MoviePoster.exe. Please send details of any issues or feedback to movieposterapp@gmail.com

Notable Improvements include:
*Improved error handling to reduce crashes and memory leaks.
*Updated Plex plugin to allow IP address and machineidentifier values for clients.
*Resolved errors when adding additional display configurations.
*Preliminary support for full screen poster images in portrait mode including zooming and stretch options for smaller artwork. - WIP
*Resolved issues with extra artwork not being downloaded from Fanart.TV
*Includes updated youtube-dl.exe by default
*Ability to have multiple active custom lists

Download Links:
Google Drive: MoviePoster_2.3.0.6_Dev_9_4_2022.7z
or
MoviePoster Website: https://movieposterapp.com/Downloads/Beta/MoviePoster_2.3.0.6_Dev_9_4_2022.7z

MoviePoster supports animated 'MotionPosters', but its a manual process to add them to your poster library. I have started to upload my collection to my Google Drive.
Google Drive: Sign-in

Please see the included ReadMe.txt file for installation and general usage instructions. Please feel free to comment and report any bugs, or request features.

I have developed a small device to automatically turn your poster screen on and off based on your presence in the room. With this your screen will turn on when you are around and off after a set amount of time without you needing to do anything. You can learn more or purchase one for yourself here:
MoviePoster - Digital Poster Display Software

ScreenShots:

My custom 32" LCD Poster Display:

(Slightly Outdated) Video of operation.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb442/burgermeyer/VID_20121104_144958_087.mp4

A newer, but brief video of operation.

Bug reports, feature requests, suggestions and general comments are always welcome. I will do my best to fix any bugs that are reported and will consider all feature requests. That said, the program comes with no warranty of any kind and although I do my best, I can make no guarantees.
I do accept donations to support continued development of the program. Any and all donations are greatly appreciated and help to motivate continued development and support of the program. However, donations no not guarantee that any particular feature can or will be implemented.

See less See more
1 8
#1,058 · (Edited)
Started this weekend with my MoviePoster.
Bought a new Intel NUC 2830. It works perfectly with Kodi, but i want to use it with my MoviePosterApp.
It's much faster compared to the previous computer i used so it runs much smoother. Would be nice though if it was possible to use GPU instead of CPU for all the conversions.

I have some question and suggestions:
1) When you startup the program the first time it opens up with a screen in portait and one in landscape.
Wouldn't it be easier just to have one screen open at startup?

2) Display Options: When i fill in my screen resolution of 1080x1920 i still get to see the frame/border of the window the program
runs in (is there a specific reason, why it has to run in a window?). So i have to tick the button: Start Maximized.
This was a bit confusing for me, because when i restarted the program the width was set to 1094 and the height to 1934!
As i understand this is done to get rid of the frame showing on the screen, wouldn't it be easier not to show that
and just do the scaling within the program? Maybe you should have a pulldown menu with the available screen resolutions?

3) In the cache there is a Games folder, but i can't seem to find any settings/filters where i can activate it for games to show.

4) TMDP Options: Use Custom List instead of themoviedb list is it connected with the pulldown menu underneath (List Name)?
Is it possible to have the Showtimes list interweave with themoviedb list? As far as i can tell, it's now only possible to
have the moviedb list shown or the Showtimes/Custom list? or not?
It would be nice to have some information shown up when you move your mousepointer over an item, so you can see what it does!

5) Trailer Options: When you don't tick the Download Trailers button, does it always stream the trailer?
If not what's the difference?

6) I have made some User Poster with the 1080x1920 resolution. They don't fill the screen, how does the scaling working and
what is the best resolution to make up custom posters on a 1080p display.

7) Remote: Would be nice to be able to edit the text on the Showtime tab after you added them. Now you have to remove them and
add them again to change the text.

8) Would it be possible to have a preview of what is showing at the moment on the screen from within the remote screen? Log?

9) I sometimes lose connection with the remote controller! I have to restart the program to get back into the remote screen? Any idea? Bug? UPDATE: I had 2 instances running of Movieposter, don't know what happened, but shutting down one fixed it for now....

So that's it for now, tried to find some answers on the forum but couldn't find anything.
Please don't think i am critizing you, just want to help you make this program the best!
Thanks for putting so much time and effort in making this program! :)

#1,061 ·
That's quite the list. I'll keep the responses short for now.

Started this weekend with my MoviePoster.
Bought a new Intel NUC 2830. It works perfectly with Kodi, but i want to use it with my MoviePosterApp.
It's much faster compared to the previous computer i used so it runs much smoother. Would be nice though if it was possible to use GPU instead of CPU for all the conversions.

I have some question and suggestions:
1) When you startup the program the first time it opens up with a screen in portait and one in landscape.
Wouldn't it be easier just to have one screen open at startup?
The landscape orientation is a new feature that a lot of people might not have realized was available. so i made both orientations show for a new install. you can easily remove the landscape window in the settings display tab. once removed, it wont open when you start the application.

2) Display Options: When i fill in my screen resolution of 1080x1920 i still get to see the frame/border of the window the program
runs in (is there a specific reason, why it has to run in a window?). So i have to tick the button: Start Maximized.
This was a bit confusing for me, because when i restarted the program the width was set to 1094 and the height to 1934!
As i understand this is done to get rid of the frame showing on the screen, wouldn't it be easier not to show that
and just do the scaling within the program? Maybe you should have a pulldown menu with the available screen resolutions?
yes, start maximized is probably what you want to use for it to fill the whole screen. the height and width options were there mostly for testing. I'm probably going to remove the from the settings window all together. the screen size gets saved automatically anyway.

3) In the cache there is a Games folder, but i can't seem to find any settings/filters where i can activate it for games to show.
the games folder isnt used yet, all posters end up in the movies folder, in the future i plan to separate them out, thats why the folder is there. you can add covers for games using the web remote, cache page. click the blue plus and select games on the search screen. you can add a game poster manually this way, but they dont get downloaded automatically like movie posters do.
4) TMDP Options: Use Custom List instead of themoviedb list is it connected with the pulldown menu underneath (List Name)?
Is it possible to have the Showtimes list interweave with themoviedb list? As far as i can tell, it's now only possible to
have the moviedb list shown or the Showtimes/Custom list? or not?
It would be nice to have some information shown up when you move your mousepointer over an item, so you can see what it does!
yes, if you select use custom list, the list you have selected in the drop down is whats used for your posters. its either the custom list, or the automatically downloaded stuff. i have plans to look into allowing multiple lists being active, but i dont know when that will be implemented.
What i really need to do if write some documentation.. but it all takes time.
5) Trailer Options: When you don't tick the Download Trailers button, does it always stream the trailer?
If not what's the difference?
yeah, if download trailers isnt checked, the trailers dont get saved and are streamed instead.... but i think the streaming might actually be broken in the 1.0.1.8 releases. its usually more reliable to just let them download, it just takes up more space.
6) I have made some User Poster with the 1080x1920 resolution. They don't fill the screen, how does the scaling working and
what is the best resolution to make up custom posters on a 1080p display.
the poster display area for the portrait display is currently limited to 1000x1500 pixels. anything else gets scaled to fit the available area. I'm looking at allowing full 1080x1920 content, but it messes with some of transistions and im not happy with it yet.
7) Remote: Would be nice to be able to edit the text on the Showtime tab after you added them. Now you have to remove them and
add them again to change the text.
yep, very true. i'll get around to it eventually. my todo list is getting longer all the time.
8) Would it be possible to have a preview of what is showing at the moment on the screen from within the remote screen? Log?
yes, ive thought about this.
9) I sometimes lose connection with the remote controller! I have to restart the program to get back into the remote screen? Any idea? Bug? UPDATE: I had 2 instances running of Movieposter, don't know what happened, but shutting down one fixed it for now....
yeah, the webserver can only run if the tcp port is open, only one app can use it at a time. it can also happen if you close the program and immediately reopen it that one instance hasnt released the port by the time the next tries to use it.
So that's it for now, tried to find some answers on the forum but couldn't find anything.
Please don't think i am critizing you, just want to help you make this program the best!
Thanks for putting so much time and effort in making this program! :)

#1,059 ·
I've been following this thread for a while and want to thank you for an amazing application. I've been thinking of creating an HTPC for quite some time, and finally took the plunge recently thanks to awesome applications like this one. I'm extremely new to all of this, and I've been trying to learn everything all at once - XBMC/Kodi, Cinema Experience, and Virtual Movie Poster. I think i've figured quite a bit out, but I'm still having a few hiccups...

- I'm running Virtual Movie Poster and Kodi on the same machine (dual monitor), and I've managed to get the two connected... at least i think so (VMP app says "Connected: Kodi 14.1 stable on 127.0.0.1). However, it won't switch to Now Playing when I play a movie via Kodi. The poster will simply stay frozen on whichever poster was playing when the movie began. Opening Webremote and clicking "Show Now Playing" doesn't do anything.

- I'm trying to incorporate the Cinema Experience add-on in Kodi - this allows for a bunch of different content to be played before the movie (trivia, trailers, intros, etc). Unfortunately, this also seems to drive VMP a little crazy...
During the Trivia, it will simply hang on one poster and not change.
During previews of Coming Attractions (which it streams from Apple), it usually matches the first trailer, shows "Now Playing" and pulls the correct poster for the trailer. (It also shows a start and end time for the lenght of the trailer, but it blinks in and out every few seconds). It switches to "Welcome" again after the first preview and then it goes back to "Coming Soon" and grabs a random poster for the next trailer (and it will freeze on that poster for the length of the next trailer)
When the feature begins, I'm having the same difficulty as mentioned above - it doesn't recognize the feature movie, picks a random "coming soon" poster and hangs up on it for the duration of the film.

The program is awesome and I'd be fine to simply "disconnect" it from kodi and run both programs independently from the same PC, but if I can get it to work with kodi and get that little extra "cool factor" by showing the "now playing" when my feature begins, that would be awesome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and a donation was sent your way. Keep up the excellent work!

#1,065 ·
1.0.1.6 supports xbmc 11
1.0.1.7 added xbmc12 and some people had success with 13 and 14 but it wasn't fully tested
1.0.1.8 supports xbmc 11 through kodi 14

#1,067 ·
Meyer64, just wanted to commend you again on a GREAT app. I ended up going a different rout with my displays, but it was not for lack of wanting to use your program. Once I decided to get the second screen, I started looking into setting up tri-monitor support on my HTPC, and it was a bit more than I wanted to get involved with. I ended up getting 2 Raspberry Pi's, and programming them to run full screen slideshows.

I'm starting to look at EventGhost as a way to dim the displays when a movie is playing (like you have set up). Can you recommend a good source to familiarize myself with it? I noticed in your build thread that you used EG to automate some functions in your theater room, and figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

#1,068 ·
Update on the Motion Sensors

Since several of you have expressed interest in one of my motion sensors, I thought I'd post a little update. The way its looking right now, there will only end up being one version of the motion sensor. It will incorporate both the IR/USB function as well as a hardwired option. You'll be able to choose your installation method. It just simplifies things if I only need to keep track of one hardware spec. I'm also working on adding an option for it to power your PC on and off to help save power. Timeouts will be configurable through a software utility on your PC. I should have my first fully assembled unit done in a few days. I'm still waiting on a few components and need to finish a few tweaks on the device firmware / PC software. Once its finished, I'll post specifics.

#1,069 ·
Update on the Motion Sensors

Since several of you have expressed interest in one of my motion sensors, I thought I'd post a little update. The way its looking right now, there will only end up being one version of the motion sensor. It will incorporate both the IR/USB function as well as a hardwired option. You'll be able to choose your installation method. It just simplifies things if I only need to keep track of one hardware spec. I'm also working on adding an option for it to power your PC on and off to help save power. Timeouts will be configurable through a software utility on your PC. I should have my first fully assembled unit done in a few days. I'm still waiting on a few components and need to finish a few tweaks on the device firmware / PC software. Once its finished, I'll post specifics.

Sweet!

#1,072 ·
Its mostly done. I'll get it finished up soon. I've been focusing on the motion sensors lately. Sometimes its nice to have a change of pace and work on hardware ;)

#1,077 ·
I've tried editing some of the theme images from the folders but I cannot get rid of the Great Dane Theater logo on the top. (There don't appear to be any other theme choices besides.

How do I get rid of the Great Dane banner on the top?

I believe it's in the Banners folder. Here what I changed mine too.

Attachments

#1,078 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of assembling my first prototype of the new motion sensor design and thought I'd give you all a sneak peak.
I still have some work to do on the firmware, but this is pretty much what the final version will look like.

The device have 2 internal relays can can be used to hardwire to your tv power button and/or your PC power button header.
Learns IR remote codes and re transmits them to power your TV on and off for a non invasive installation.

Connects to a PC via USB for:
1. communications with the MoviePoster software (keeps the screen on when a 'now playing' poster is shown)
2. Configuration of timeouts and advanced IR config (for a few remote codes that it can't learn on its own)
3. and hopefully, it will have up-gradable firmware.

Rough version of the config utility:

#1,079 ·
Question.

I'm running the new 1.0.1.8. (Rev. 3) Movie Poster with Kodi. I have display #1 on the big screen showing trailers. Display #2 is going to two LED 50" TVs in the lobby. My question is: What is the best way for me to start Kodi and quietly shut down display #1 (keeping display #2 active to display the posters of the movie now showing)?

Keep up the great work!

#1,080 ·
Question.

I'm running the new 1.0.1.8. (Rev. 3) Movie Poster with Kodi. I have display #1 on the big screen showing trailers. Display #2 is going to two LED 50" TVs in the lobby. My question is: What is the best way for me to start Kodi and quietly shut down display #1 (keeping display #2 active to display the posters of the movie now showing)?

Keep up the great work!

Are you using one computer to run the displays or two, and if one, is it outputting your movie content on one while showing the movie poster on the other ?

#1,082 · (Edited)
@triplejs15: All from one computer. One HDMI connects to the motherboard (this handles the big screen movies) - the other HDMI connects to a PCIe video card that is connected to a HDMI splitter and goes to two 50" LED TVs (both showing the same thing, of course).

Meyer: Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out. I would be interested in finding a more automated solution that requires little of my involvement. Such as, if I launch KODI - the main MoviePoster display quietly closes automatically. I know very little about writing a script to make that happen. Come to think about it -- I'd have to close MoviePoster (main display) first to even launch KODI (to click on the icon). Maybe closing the main display, like you suggested, is the best option.

Thanks again.

#1,083 ·
Meyer the sensor you created looks great. One thing I can recommend is btter to let the sensor outside so people can direct it in any position of the frame the will install. because will be hard if the sensor is inside that case. when rpi ver 2 is coming out will be great to install it inside the frame and will not required computer.

#1,084 ·
It wouldn't be difficult to have an option for an external PIR sensor. It will cost a little more though. I'll see if I can fit a connector in the case somewhere to allow for one to be connected if desired.

#1,085 ·
I did mine pir but your look better, maybe I will sell my movie poster and make another one bigger with one of your pir.

Will be so nice to have raspberry pi 2 with that software and everything in the same frame. I hope you will be able to port to that card or the one intel is releasing.

#1,086 ·
As long as there is no support for hardware decoding i think it will be difficult to have it run properly on a raspberry Pi 2.
I am building one now with a Intel Nuc Celeron, CPU is at around 80% and it peeks sometime at 100% when it's downloading and playing a trailer all at once.
With proper hardware decoding it would probably be easy to run on a RP2. For now the NUC will do for me :)
Keep up the good work on the PIR. Is it going to be one which you have to assemble yourself or can we buy a prebuild?

#1,092 · (Edited)
Well, I have the prototype hardware working. I ended up adding some circuit protection and the option for an external sensor. While I was working on it, I decided that I really don't want to build too many of these things using proto boards. The assembly takes forever and the circuits were getting too complicated to build with jumper wires on such a small board. So I've been working on a PCB layout that I can have manufactured. I plan to have the layout finalized and an order placed for the first batch of boards in the next few days.
I still ave to write a utility for installing firmware updates though.

#1,099 ·
Unfortunately, it looks like the poster download from theMovieDB.org is broken in all current releases of MoviePoster. I am implementing a fix and will post an updated build soon.

#1,102 ·
Yeah, the base url for the images changed and I didn't handle that in my code. I've now implemented retrieving the base url dynamically, so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. Just need to tie up a few other loose ends and I'll post a new build.

#1,103 ·
My MoviePoster frame is almost ready, will post some pics when i am done.
Anyway when i started testing today i noticed sometimes a poster gets stuck it, it doesn't continue.
It's always a poster with a video. They used to work fine before (i mean last week) and now the poster shows but the video screen stays black, no video playing.
When i use the remote.html i can skip to the next poster though.
Any idea what goes wrong?

#1,106 · (Edited)
Reactions: rmilyard