Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #91 of 919 Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What OS do most of you run on your Raspberry Pi? I don't have one but I'd assume I could set up a similar environment in a VM (Id gladly accept a donated Pi to develop on though) Does anyone have a recommendation for a UI framework to work with? I've written Java apps using swing before, but other than that most of my work has been in a Microsoft environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 919 Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can't help you too far on the programming part, but I'm running OpenELEC's build of XBMC (openelec.tv). There is another popular build of XBMC for the Pi called Raspbmc (raspbmc.com). Right now, I only have one Pi. I am using two WDTV Live SMPs that will quickly be replaced when the devs get a stable working version of Netflix for the Pi. Until then, I suppose I could just have your program cycle through posters from my collection. Unless, of course you know of a way to get your program to work with an SMP...smile.gif

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
post #93 of 919 Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 10
You could use a digital signage player for this, especially for static poster display. The XMP3250 is one I have used a bunch in commercial applications and works well. It supports HTML5 and SMIL. Plug it in via HDMI to the display and its ready to go.

http://www.iadea.com/product/xmp-3250

-jr
post #94 of 919 Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yeah a signage player would work, though many of those dedicated signage units are just as expensive as a PC. i also think my software has some advantages in that it can be run on an existing htpc. Its also pretty much st it and forget it. it downloads all posters and trailers on its own. There doesnt need to be any interaction for it t keep automatically downloading and displaying the newest posters. I can see the advantage of running it on something cheap like the raspberry pi though.

I had a thought today for a new feature. What do you think about integrating ratings from rotten tomatoes? MoviePoster could display the current rating and the 'certified fresh' icon so you know if an upcoming movie is worth seeing. I had an idea to integrate the Microsoft Kinect too... maybe have it so the display could go to standby and it would automatically turn on when people are around. theres also the possibility to use gestures to play trailers and change posters. would those be worthwhile things to add?
post #95 of 919 Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Definitely compatibility with the Pi for me. I do wish that the program was compatible with XP, though. :-( I'm currently running all XP machines, so i don't have a way to even play around with it yet. I have an OLD Dell tower that I HOPE is up to the task of Win 7. If i can get this to work, i will probably migrate my Pi into the theater and sell one of my WDTVs.

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
post #96 of 919 Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Wow this is such an awesome app I couldn't thank you enough for sharing this! I have a quick question maybe somebody can answer:

I see that 32" TV seems to be the ideal size any particular resolution 720p or 1080p? Or will this app automatically adjust depending on the resolution
of my screen? I'm just looking for the best look, wouldn't want the image to be out of proportion or the posters not ligning up.

Also maybe a suggestion/request? Don't know if it does it or not but will this show music artwork while playing? Additionally could it show current app or videogame playing?
Say I open a game through advanced launcher and maybe have the game poster on the screen? eek.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif
post #97 of 919 Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MoviePoster will scale to any screen resolution, so it doesn't matter if you use a 720p or 1080p display. I used a 720p, simply because it was laying around and cheap. The posters are usually 1500x1000 resolution so they will look great on a 1080 display.

Yes, MoviePoster will display album art for music playing as long as the artwork is in XBMC. I havent looked into displaying anything when an external app is launched through a plugin. I could look into it though. It might be cool to show the game cover art.

Currently Im working on adding support to display movie ratings from rottentomatoes.com since they have a lot more rating data than themoviedb.org. I have the basic classes done, I just need to figure out how i want it displayed.
post #98 of 919 Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just saw this and it looks like a great app. Could it be easily adjusted to work with MediaBrowser? In addition can it pull trailers, posters from those on hard drive if so desired.
post #99 of 919 Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have had another request for media browser support. There is a mediaBrowser plugin that provides a JSON interface similar to the one XBMC uses, so it should be possible to support MediaBrowser in the future. I cant say for sure when I'll get around to implementing it though.

MoviePoster by default caches posters to the hard drive. There is also an option to download and play trailers from the movie cache so you dont need to stream them every time they are viewed. If you really wanted, it is possible to create your own files in the poster cache. Let MoviePoster download a couple posters and trailers, then take a look in the Cache/Movies directory and you'll get an idea of the required structure. the .nfo files are just xml and can be modified using a text editor. Also, if there is a media file ending in -trailer in the cache for a particular movie, it will be played instead of streaming from the internet.
post #100 of 919 Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the quick response. Hope the MB support will be sooner than later. In the interim I will review it further.
post #101 of 919 Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Maybe look into building a python backend, HTML5 interface. I think getting a tool like this cross-platform and able to run the back-end on something light-weight like a raspberry pi opens up lots of possibilities. Getting the front-end to HTML5 opens up unlimited options for your interface devices.

OR look into whether or not they have got mono running on raspberry pi yet. If so, you can move all your c# code into MVC/HTML5 app and you wouldn't have to lose much.
post #102 of 919 Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I have the RottenTomatoes integration working. However i want to make a few more adjustments before i release it. RottenTomatoes limits their queries to 10,000 per day which actually will get used up by less than four users of MoviePoster with a 30 second poster interval if its left running 24/7. So I'm going to add the ability to store the RT ratings in the cache and only refresh them once per day or something. Im also still trying to figure out where to display the RottenTomatoes info. Admittedly, it isn't a problem when displaying upcoming movies, since they don't have media flags (resolution, audio format, etc) to display, so i could just use that area. But for the 'now playing' screens it would be a problem, I'm kind of out of room unless i decrease the size of the other metadata. Ive also thought about an optionally viewable panel to show the movie synopsis, RT rating, release date, stuff like that. For now its just overlayed on the poster for testing.. but to show its there and working:

Next, I plan to look into showing game covers or artwork for games launched through a plugin like advanced launcher as suggested by D-MaxPWR. It could be pretty easy, and its the next feature that i might actually use myself. MediaBrowser support will be on the list somewhere after that. And unfortunately, crossplatform support is gradually being pushed down my list, simply for the fact that it will take considerable time to pretty much rewrite everything, and it doesn't really have any benefit to me. However, I do want to become more proficient in python, so I will explore porting the business logic and base classes to python. I'm still undecided about what framework to use for a cross platform GUI, but I'm leaning towards Qt.
post #103 of 919 Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 PM

Great work!! I think an option to change font color and customize media flags would be great!! Dont care much for the gold and would rather have media flags match my xbmc skin...
post #104 of 919 Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wish I had found this before I closed up my walls and ceiling. I would've run a couple HDMI cables to my poster locations. As it stands now, I'd need to find a way to hide the PC and I don't have an easy way to do that. frown.gif

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #105 of 919 Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM

Is there a way to run this on a MAC computer? I don't want to put Windows on via Bootcamp or Parallels so I was hoping there was a way to run it through some software on a MAC. Any ideas?
post #106 of 919 Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry.. its Windows only for now since it uses .Net 4.5 and a WPF front end, so Mono is a no go too. I am doing some very slow work to port the backend to python, so at some point there might be a cross platform version, but it most likely wont have all the features of the Windows version.

Lunatixz, right now all the media flags are embedded resources, although only one class would need major modification in order to support external images. I'll look into making that addition when i have time. I'm trying to focus more on my theater construction at the moment.

Also, just to share another project idea of mine:
I didn't want to leave the poster display on all the time and it is a bit tedious to have to turn it on and off all the time. So I designed a solution to use a Teensy USB development board (like an arduino) , a PIR motion sensor, and some relays to control the screen. the plan is that the device will watch for motion in the area, turn on the screen and wakes up the PC. When no motion is detected for say 30 minutes, it turns the screen off. It will monitor the power state of the screen so it wont send the 'power on' button press if the screen is already on. This will be independent of the PC, so it can be used even if the PC is set to go to standby after a set amount of time. The Teensy can send a simulated keyboard event over USB to wake the PC in this case.
post #107 of 919 Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Sounds great... Good luck with your theater...can you tell me how this program handles motion posters... does it look for a file name in the movie folder?
BTW I control my display poster using eventghost (already running on my htpc setup) and a ir blaster..
post #108 of 919 Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Motion poster support is explained in the changelog.txt file, under the section for version 1.0.1.4:

support for motionPosters in .swf format - these must be manually downloaded.
-put .swf file in the movie's cached folder. name of file must end in -motionposter.swf ex. moviename-motionposter.swf
-a motionposter.html file will be generated for for the .swf file which can be modified to
refine the layout of the motionposter (height, width, position). This is useful for motionposters
that have an annoying frame, or to enlarge them to fill the poster area if desired.

Since then I have found a motion poster in animated Gif format for Oz the Great and Powerful. But MoviePoster only supports .swf motion posters at this time. However, it will be trivial to add support for animated gifs, once i get around to it...

While motionPosters are cool, unfortunately all the sources I've found for them are fairly low resolution. Has anyone found any high resolution motionposters?
post #109 of 919 Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Sorry.. its Windows only for now since it uses .Net 4.5 and a WPF front end, so Mono is a no go too. I am doing some very slow work to port the backend to python, so at some point there might be a cross platform version, but it most likely wont have all the features of the Windows version.

Lunatixz, right now all the media flags are embedded resources, although only one class would need major modification in order to support external images. I'll look into making that addition when i have time. I'm trying to focus more on my theater construction at the moment.

Also, just to share another project idea of mine:
I didn't want to leave the poster display on all the time and it is a bit tedious to have to turn it on and off all the time. So I designed a solution to use a Teensy USB development board (like an arduino) , a PIR motion sensor, and some relays to control the screen. the plan is that the device will watch for motion in the area, turn on the screen and wakes up the PC. When no motion is detected for say 30 minutes, it turns the screen off. It will monitor the power state of the screen so it wont send the 'power on' button press if the screen is already on. This will be independent of the PC, so it can be used even if the PC is set to go to standby after a set amount of time. The Teensy can send a simulated keyboard event over USB to wake the PC in this case.

I love the idea of it detecting motion and then coming out of standby. When you get this going, it would be great to get a little more detail on how to do it. Do you think the something like Kinect could be an option? Also cool idea about gestures as well.
Thanks again, and good work.
post #110 of 919 Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, actually the Kinect was my first idea of how to do it. If i get my hands on a Kinect cheap, I'll definitely look into integrating it. But, I needed to buy the hardware to hook up the the LCD to determine its power state and simulate the power button press anyway and I stumbled upon the Teensy boards. It looks to be a cheap and easy way to set it up in a way that doesn't depend on the PC. The code I have written for the Teensy is only a couple dozen lines of C, so its pretty simple. I'll post details once i get it all put together and tested... still waiting for goodies to show up in my mailbox smile.gif
post #111 of 919 Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM

Okay this might sound dumb ...

But I am just starting on this digital poster board Idea and I love it !!!

I am going to use a Samsung tv.. ??? it has VGA and HDMi .. Is it the TV or teh software that tells it to show images in portrait mode?

Secondly here is the dumb part ... I downloaded the software unziped it ... and tried to run exe file and it said not a valid win32 application ...

Any help would be appreciated..

Ryan
post #112 of 919 Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You can either use Windows to rotate the display to portrait mode (if your graphics card supports it) Or MoviePoster has its own rotation mechanism built in so that it essentially displays itself sideways and looks normal when you set the TV on its side. Your TV doesn't need to do anything special.

Make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements: Windows Vista or above with .Net framework 4.5 installed. other than that, I'm not sure why you'd be getting that error.
post #113 of 919 Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
O boy this lil project is gonna cost me $500+ . I need to find a super cheap used LCD tv and cheap laptop. I have the perfect box for it. Standard movie poster sizes are 27 X40 i believe, what tv size would be most closely compatible?

Poster Light box
post #114 of 919 Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

O boy this lil project is gonna cost me $500+ . I need to find a super cheap used LCD tv and cheap laptop. I have the perfect box for it. Standard movie poster sizes are 27 X40 i believe, what tv size would be most closely compatible?

I picked up a 42" for just that reason. It will depend on how wide your picture frame is, how wide the bezel on the screen is.. etc. 40" could also work, depending on the frame you make. Anything over 42" will be too big imho.

It would also depend on the overall dimensions of your poster frames.

Tim
post #115 of 919 Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Yeah I just went on ebay and looked at some sized for LCD tvs and 42" ones are perfect 40 x 27.8 dimensions. If this gets ported to a Andriod I'll definately do the setup. My reason is I have a old tablet sitting around and its instant on access rather than waiting for a laptop to bootup and heat issues inside the box. Just downloaded the 1.5 app and will tinker with it this weekend. Thanks again to meyer64

Actually now that I think about it I think I am retarded LOL. I do have a dedicated laptop HTPC that I already run and I RDP to that machine all the time with my tablet so all I would have to do is have a wire coming off the HDMI port on the tv to connect to my tablet. Hopefully the laptop have the .Net stuff ...Ok now I have a weekend testing project.
post #116 of 919 Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I used a 32" display I had laying around that needed a new power supply. Once i repaired the power supply and built a wood frame, I was into the project less than $100. Any PC than will run Windows Vista or higher can be used, It doesn't need to be anything all that powerful. I run mine on a nettop with an Atom CPU and its perfectly fine.

32" is smaller than a standard movie poster would be, only about 16" in width. I think it looks great on my wall. However, if you want to display a poster at about 27" x 40" your going to need around a 55" screen.

To get widescreen (16:9) TV dimensions:

Width = Diagonal x 0.87157554
Height = Diagonal x 0.49026124

remember, posters aren't going to fill the entire screen due to aspect ratio differences, so if you want the actual poster portion of the display to be 'full sized' you just need to be concerned with the width, but we're turning them sideways... so just multiply your screen size by about .49 and thats the poster width you'll get.: 55" * 0.49 = 26.95" a 42" would give you: 20.58" width, but personally, i think thats big enough.
post #117 of 919 Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM

Yea good point ...I will get some measurements and sizes etc this weekend. Thanks gain for all your efforts.
post #118 of 919 Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you do want to go with a 55" TV - Costco has the Panny UT50 for $699.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #119 of 919 Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM

awh okay ....
I am running windows xp .. service pack 2... I'll have to upgrade that machine

Its going to be a dedicated machine for the poster art .. smile.gif

Thanks again for the fast response and help !

Ryan
post #120 of 919 Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM

In an effort to keep the post/ and topic up to date... I installed windows 7 on my dedicated box and it works great ...

The only issue I had was I wanted to cycle posters 3-5 seconds... and when i saw one that i liked I tried the "t" button keyboard short cut .. and it crashed the app as I think the next poster wanted to cycle and did not give enough time for the trailer to download...

But other than that I love it its awesome!!!!

I am even thinking of a way to put a remote button for the trailer beside my in wall mounted screen ... so you can walk by see a poster you like and hit the button right there and get trailer.. smile.gif ( rather than grab the keyboard which is quite aways away.

Development idea...

This might be going way to crazy ... but thought wow.. would be so cool to link this to a torrent or a NZB downlaoder... see a poster you like and mark it for later...(wink if its not copy writed of course)

I certainly want to add my own posters to the cache... and ultimatley maintain a cache of tons of posters so it just cycles through ... ( new and old)

GREAT job on the development and the support of this app .. I'll try and fire you off a donation as its pretty cool how you support this!!!!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page