MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 250Likes

post #1231 of 2418 Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMug View Post
here is the file here, just in case, i just noticed i can upload files here.
got it, thanks.
I think I see the problem. If you look at the xml, the program is expecting the height and width to be in full pixels. But for some reason its saving yours as a decimal, 729.33333333333, which it then can't load the next time the program starts. you can try to edit the file to set the height as a whole integer value and see if it fixes it for you. I've made some adjustments to account for this for the next realease though, so it shouldnt be a problem going forward.

Are you running a non standard DPI setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2418 Old 04-25-2015, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
got it, thanks.
I think I see the problem. If you look at the xml, the program is expecting the height and width to be in full pixels. But for some reason its saving yours as a decimal, 729.33333333333, which it then can't load the next time the program starts. you can try to edit the file to set the height as a whole integer value and see if it fixes it for you. I've made some adjustments to account for this for the next realease though, so it shouldnt be a problem going forward.

Are you running a non standard DPI setting?
that fixed it... i think i know what the problem was now. I think it happened because resized it by dragging the edge of the frame, that must be how it ended up that way. I am normally running maximized on a 32 inch tv in 1080. Thanks for the help, i love the software and i will be donating soon.

Last edited by TheMug; 04-25-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: addition
post #1233 of 2418 Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Plex plugin

Just installed version 2.0 GREAT WORK!!!

I'm trying out the plex plug in. I think I have it configured correctly. When I start a movie on the server running on a roku player in my HT the poster screen switches to the start and end time in the top banner (VERY NICE!). The tag line at the bottom matches the movie that is playing, but no poster appears in the center area, only a black box. I download the posterfor the movie that is playing into the cache, so I know it's available. Is there something that I'm missing ?

Thanks again for your work.

post #1234 of 2418 Old 04-26-2015, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krh1009 View Post
Just installed version 2.0 GREAT WORK!!!

I'm trying out the plex plug in. I think I have it configured correctly. When I start a movie on the server running on a roku player in my HT the poster screen switches to the start and end time in the top banner (VERY NICE!). The tag line at the bottom matches the movie that is playing, but no poster appears in the center area, only a black box. I download the posterfor the movie that is playing into the cache, so I know it's available. Is there something that I'm missing ?

Thanks again for your work.
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Can you send me a log file? After you turn on logging, you can find the logs in your document folder under MoviePoster\Logs
post #1235 of 2418 Old 04-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMug View Post
that fixed it... i think i know what the problem was now. I think it happened because resized it by dragging the edge of the frame, that must be how it ended up that way. I am normally running maximized on a 32 inch tv in 1080. Thanks for the help, i love the software and i will be donating soon.
My Display config was doing the same thing. I edited it to a whole number; but its still crashing when I open the settings pane.
post #1236 of 2418 Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Can you send me a log file? After you turn on logging, you can find the logs in your document folder under MoviePoster\Logs
It's working fine now. I guess I didn't give it enough time to fully start. Looks great. Thanks for the response.
post #1237 of 2418 Old 04-27-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Where is the logfile stored? I'm trying to find it to see whats going on and why it won't connect to my plex.

This is the caveat, we are running 1 plex account but several plex servers. Lets says mine in the house is ip 192.168.1.131 and the other .195 and there is a remote one.

Now if I try to tell it to connect to my server, the .131 one, it sometimes will show connected, but even with the IP manually entered, it will stay randomly show it's connected to the .195 server even though I never told it about the .195 server.

If I try using myPlex, then sometimes it will connect to the remote plex server, even though I'm playing off a different one.

Maybe this is a unique case since we have 3 different plex servers under 1 account. Even if I put in the IP of my server though, .131, what happens if I'm using plex on my PS3 and I'm watching something on the .195 server or the remote server. Ever had anyone has issues with multiple servers and getting it working with Plex and your software?
post #1238 of 2418 Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getochkn View Post
Where is the logfile stored? I'm trying to find it to see whats going on and why it won't connect to my plex.

This is the caveat, we are running 1 plex account but several plex servers. Lets says mine in the house is ip 192.168.1.131 and the other .195 and there is a remote one.

Now if I try to tell it to connect to my server, the .131 one, it sometimes will show connected, but even with the IP manually entered, it will stay randomly show it's connected to the .195 server even though I never told it about the .195 server.

If I try using myPlex, then sometimes it will connect to the remote plex server, even though I'm playing off a different one.

Maybe this is a unique case since we have 3 different plex servers under 1 account. Even if I put in the IP of my server though, .131, what happens if I'm using plex on my PS3 and I'm watching something on the .195 server or the remote server. Ever had anyone has issues with multiple servers and getting it working with Plex and your software?
Henestly, Im not sure what it will do if you are using multiple Plex servers with one myPlex account, it was only really designed with one server in mind. You can specify to use a particular server by IP address, instead of using myPlex. That should work as long as you always watch movies that are hosted on the same server. I'll try to do some testing and get back to you.

After you turn on logging, you can find the logs in your document folder under MoviePoster\Logs
post #1239 of 2418 Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 PM

Liked: 2
Oddly enough now it works. I have it running and my roommate upstairs has it running and it doesn't matter what server we are watching from, it works. Only using the myplex account option anyways. I was watching a movie from his server on my PS3 and it worked and his worked on his Vizio TV, so maybe a myplex glitch or something.
post #1240 of 2418 Old 04-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Does the software automatically resize the custom theater logo/main theater poster? Or do I need to edit the images to specific dimensions?
post #1241 of 2418 Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It will scale the image to fit. 1000 x 1500 is a good dimension to target though.
post #1242 of 2418 Old 04-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It will scale the image to fit. 1000 x 1500 is a good dimension to target though.
Awesome thanks! I LOVE this application man. GRETA job on it!
What are the benefits of registering?
post #1243 of 2418 Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Also, do I need rotate the main theater image (the image that shows up in the middle part of the screen when the software loads), or will the software show the image in portrait orientation?
post #1244 of 2418 Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Ignore my last few questions. I figured it out. But I do have two more.
Do I need to manually create a folder of movie poster images of the films in my library on the computer that MP is installed on in order for it to display the actual 'Now Playing" movie posters? When I play a movie in Kodi, it displays the file name and movie time, but no movie poster. Just a blank space where the poster should be.
Is there a way to force the trailer area to display correctly in portrait mode?
post #1245 of 2418 Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 AM

This software truly rocks! My compliments to the author!
However , i havent used it yet, cause of some reasons:

- i just bought 2 movie poster displays which have a led backlight, bit expensive too
- its very fun to have this but when do you guys use it? when its showing now playing and the sign hangs outside the room, you cant see it, when posters are hung inside room, it disturbs when watching movie, so it should only show when not playing anything , but then again, you arent in that room then?
- what do you guys use as portrait screens? some cheep possibilities?
- a dedicated pc is needed, to run, download en show stuff... is a pi able to?
- would be cool if it was able to do this on ipad no?

It looks really cool but what to use to make it and stay cheap, and when using it?
post #1246 of 2418 Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post
This software truly rocks! My compliments to the author!
However , i havent used it yet, cause of some reasons:

- i just bought 2 movie poster displays which have a led backlight, bit expensive too
- its very fun to have this but when do you guys use it? when its showing now playing and the sign hangs outside the room, you cant see it, when posters are hung inside room, it disturbs when watching movie, so it should only show when not playing anything , but then again, you arent in that room then?
- what do you guys use as portrait screens? some cheep possibilities?
- a dedicated pc is needed, to run, download en show stuff... is a pi able to?
- would be cool if it was able to do this on ipad no?

It looks really cool but what to use to make it and stay cheap, and when using it?
I use an inexpensive 40" TV mounted sideways. It is connected to a leftover PC via the VGA connection so it turns on when I tap the wireless touchpad and turns off when the computer goes to sleep.

Robert Clark
post #1247 of 2418 Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Well the Intel Compute Stick finally arrived. This is going to be what powers my MoviePoster. I've been using Intel Wireless Display or WiDi for short. Now I have a complete standalone system, in a small form factor. I created a small unboxing video. I'll eventually create a small video of MoviePoster running on the Stick.

post #1248 of 2418 Old 05-15-2015, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradC View Post
Well the Intel Compute Stick finally arrived. This is going to be what powers my MoviePoster. I've been using Intel Wireless Display or WiDi for short. Now I have a complete standalone system, in a small form factor. I created a small unboxing video. I'll eventually create a small video of MoviePoster running on the Stick.

https://youtu.be/MCmWBWrwdCE
Looking forward to your video. I am thinking of using the Stick as well.
post #1249 of 2418 Old 05-15-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Installed 2.0 and messing around. The dim doesn't seem to work watching tv shows in kodi. Works for movies.
post #1250 of 2418 Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone knows if this runs on Windows 10 iot?
It would be awesome if this is possible, so we could run this on Raspberry Pi.
post #1251 of 2418 Old 05-19-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Does anyone knows if this runs on Windows 10 iot?
It would be awesome if this is possible, so we could run this on Raspberry Pi.
I'm about 99% sure it won't run on Windows 10 IoT. It would require a complete rewrite of the application to work on that OS. Windows 10 IoT isn't really a desktop OS in which you directly interface with. Win10 IoT is just an OS that provides the connection ports, sensors and such of the host to other devices it can connect to it.
post #1252 of 2418 Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradC View Post
I'm about 99% sure it won't run on Windows 10 IoT. It would require a complete rewrite of the application to work on that OS. Windows 10 IoT isn't really a desktop OS in which you directly interface with. Win10 IoT is just an OS that provides the connection ports, sensors and such of the host to other devices it can connect to it.
Thanks. That's what I also thought after reading a bit more about Windows 10 IoT.

What are other cheap and small alternatives? A Raspberry Pi looked liked the perfect device for this.
post #1253 of 2418 Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
+1 me too!
What is the story on the motion sensor board? Are you going to sell them, if so my "inner geek" is ready to make a purchase
post #1254 of 2418 Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krh1009 View Post
What is the story on the motion sensor board? Are you going to sell them, if so my "inner geek" is ready to make a purchase
The hardware design is finished and I have one fully assembled unit that I'm testing with. I still have a few things to work on on the firmware side to make it more compatible with different brands of TVs as well as to write up installation instructions. I do think that I'm at the point where it would be useful to get a tally of those who want to purchase one so I can order the right number of components to assemble more.

Features are:
Automatically turn your MoviePoster display on based on your presence in the room and turn off again after no motion is detected for a set period of time. Works like magic, never manually turn your screen on and off again, saving you time and energy.

Two installation options, depending on compatibility with your display.

Option 1: Hardwired install. This involves opening up your TV and connecting a set of wires to the power button, and another to a 5 volt source that is powered only when the tv is on (such as the power LED). This may require soldering and will most likely void the warranty of your TV. This installation method should be compatible with pretty much any TV.

Option 2: USB / IR. This method requires your TV to have a USB port that is only powered on when the TV is on. You teach the device the IR code from your remote to turn the TV on and off. This installation is non invasive and requires no modifications to your display, however all TVs may not be compatible.

Windows configuration application.
Configurable settings include:
1. Minimum duration of motion required to trigger screen to turn on.
2. Duration of inactivity to leave screen on.
3. Advanced options for power / IR trigger event delays. (some screens wont turn on again until they have fully powered down and can take a few seconds)
4. Advanced option to manually enter IR code if the device is unable to learn the code from the remote.

Works with MoviePoster software via USB connection to (optionally) always turn screen on when 'Now Playing' poster is displayed.

Second internal relay can be wired to PC to wake / power on based on motion.

Optional external PIR sensor for expanding motion detection area or integrating into a custom frame. (additional $10)

I'm also working on a firmware upgrade process for fixes / enhancements.
- possible future enhancement includes the ability to set a schedule to always have the screen turn on at certain times of day. This is still in development stages, and likely wont be in the first firmware version.

Price will be $100 shipped in the USA.
$90 if you place a preorder and pay in advance.

If you are interested in purchasing, please send me an email at movieposterapp@gmail.com.
Estimated ship date is July 1st, depending on component lead time and demand.

rboster, rmilyard and Barrettmr like this.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 07:17 AM.
post #1255 of 2418 Old 05-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The hardware design is finished and I have one fully assembled unit that I'm testing with. I still have a few things to work on on the firmware side to make it more compatible with different brands of TVs as well as to write up installation instructions. I do think that I'm at the point where it would be useful to get a tally of those who want to purchase one so I can order the right number of components to assemble more.

Features are:
Automatically turn your MoviePoster display on based on your presence in the room and turn off again after no motion is detected for a set period of time. Works like magic, never manually turn your screen on and off again, saving you time and energy.

Two installation options, depending on compatibility with your display.

Option 1: Hardwired install. This involves opening up your TV and connecting a set of wires to the power button, and another to a 5 volt source that is powered only when the tv is on (such as the power LED). This may require soldering and will most likely void the warranty of your TV. This installation method should be compatible with pretty much any TV.

Option 2: USB / IR. This method requires your TV to have a USB port that is only powered on when the TV is on. You teach the device the IR code from your remote to turn the TV on and off. This installation is non invasive and requires no modifications to your display, however all TVs may not be compatible.

Windows configuration application.
Configurable settings include:
1. Minimum duration of motion required to trigger screen to turn on.
2. Duration of inactivity to leave screen on.
3. Advanced options for power / IR trigger event delays. (some screens wont turn on again until they have fully powered down and can take a few seconds)
4. Advanced option to manually enter IR code if the device is unable to learn the code from the remote.

Works with MoviePoster software via USB connection to (optionally) always turn screen on when 'Now Playing' poster is displayed.

Second internal relay can be wired to PC to wake / power on based on motion.

Optional external PIR sensor for expanding motion detection area or integrating into a custom frame. (additional $10)

I'm also working on a firmware upgrade process for fixes / enhancements.
- possible future enhancement includes the ability to set a schedule to always have the screen turn on at certain times of day. This is still in development stages, and likely wont be in the first firmware version.

Price will be $100 shipped in the USA.
$90 if you place a preorder and pay in advance.

If you are interested in purchasing, please send me an email at movieposterapp@gmail.com.
Estimated ship date is July 1st, depending on component lead time and demand.

Looks good!
Placed my pre-order today, I'll be checking my mail box in July like a kid waiting for xmas...
post #1256 of 2418 Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@Meyer : Any ETA for new release?
post #1257 of 2418 Old 05-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Looking real good! I love this idea and now it works with MediaBrowser3 I would love to put it to use... I need to work on the design of my basement so I have a place for this as right now I have movie posters on the wall in the stair well and I'm not sure a TV poster would work in that small space. I am very interested in buy this device - I know it said to email you but before I do that just a couple of questions. Do you take PayPal payments for this and do I need to pay for the software separate or will a registration key for the software come with this device?

Thanks and great work!

Epson 5020UB - Falcon Screens AT 131"
Onkyo TX NR818 - Emotiva XPA-5 - Panamax M5300
Polk 265LS/255cLS L/C/R - 80F/X-LS & LSiM703 surrounds - Dual SVS PB2000 subs
OPPO BDP-103 - HTPC with MediaBrowser3
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-re-model.html
post #1258 of 2418 Old 05-22-2015, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there a table on the market that can run the program? or must it be a laptop? will the Intel Compute Stick work into a LCD Screen?
post #1259 of 2418 Old 05-22-2015, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe3 View Post
Is there a table on the market that can run the program? or must it be a laptop? will the Intel Compute Stick work into a LCD Screen?
MoviePoster will run on any system running Windows Vista or later. As long as the tablet is running full Windows 8.1 (not Windows RT) MoviePoster should run on it just fine. Most new Windows Tablets should be just fine. If you get a lower performance tablet, it might have trouble playing back HD trailers, but you could always lower the video resolution of the trailers.

The Intel Compute Stick is another very interesting option. I haven't tested one myself yet, but there isn't any reason that it shouldn't work well for this application.
post #1260 of 2418 Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Installed 2.0 and messing around. The dim doesn't seem to work watching tv shows in kodi. Works for movies.

@meyer64 Are you seeing this issue also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page