MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #1531 of 1543 Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
Interesting. which OS are you running? Win7, 8 or 10? 32 bit or 64?
8.1 32 bit

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1543 Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Is there a way to send the posters to a TV using an existing HTPC without it interfering with the main display/projector and such, or does it require a dedicated pc?
post #1533 of 1543 Old 08-16-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimatez View Post
Is there a way to send the posters to a TV using an existing HTPC without it interfering with the main display/projector and such, or does it require a dedicated pc?
I suspect that most folks use a dedicated PC for MoviePoster, but you can set it to only show on a second display if you want to run it on an existing HTPC. You just need a graphics card capable of running two screens and a cable long enough to reach your poster display.
optimatez likes this.
post #1534 of 1543 Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of setting a dedicated display for this app but I'm a little confused in terms of setting it up. I run Plex on a Mac Mini and movieposterapp on a Windows 8 mini pc on the same network. I'd like for the display to only show posters for movies I've added recently, can you give me some input as to how to set this up within the app?

Thank you for the hard work!
post #1535 of 1543 Old 08-17-2015, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedwarf View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of setting a dedicated display for this app but I'm a little confused in terms of setting it up. I run Plex on a Mac Mini and movieposterapp on a Windows 8 mini pc on the same network. I'd like for the display to only show posters for movies I've added recently, can you give me some input as to how to set this up within the app?

Thank you for the hard work!
I also use the Plex plug-in; I don't think there is a method to automatically determine what movies are in your plex library and ONLY display those movies. The plug-in only works for the "Now Playing" screen when a movie is being shown on the player entered when you set up the plug-in (in your case I guess that's a Mac mini).

But I think it would be a great feature; especially limiting to those movies that were recently added.

However, you can make a custom list of movies and then only display that custom list. That's what I do for movie night when company is coming over and we need to choose which movie to watch. You can (manually) add your recent movies to a list and display only those posters.
post #1536 of 1543 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just picked up a QuantumByte that came with Windows7 installed. When I open the webremote and try to create a new custom list I just get the spinning/busy icon in the middle of the screen. any ideas?
post #1537 of 1543 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
I just picked up a QuantumByte that came with Windows7 installed. When I open the webremote and try to create a new custom list I just get the spinning/busy icon in the middle of the screen. any ideas?
Are you using IE as your browser? if so, please try chrome, Firefox, or safari.
post #1538 of 1543 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Are you using IE as your browser? if so, please try chrome, Firefox, or safari.
ah, yes.. forgot about that.. all is working now.
post #1539 of 1543 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I of course am reading through every post again on this thread in order to master this program and be ready for when I fully implement it with my HTPC and XBMC starting again from page 1 to page 52 and I was reminded that Movie Poster will scrape the Movie Poster for whatever movie you play on XBMC if you settings and connections are correct..

I'm just curious though. Does it matter what naming format I give the movie? Let's say I like to name my movies by some kind of personal system like acronyms such as JurPrk2 (which would be Jurassic Park 2).

How does Movie Poster know which movie that XBMC is playing as far as which Movie Poster to scrape in order to scrape the Movie Poster from XBMC and put it into the Movie Poster cache folder if everyone names the title of their movie differently? Also, does it scrape the poster from that movie database that you have it connect to (I forget, is it mpdb.com?) or from somewhere else?

Last edited by AXLCMT; Yesterday at 01:42 PM.
post #1540 of 1543 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
I of course and reading through every post again on this thread from page 1 to page 52 and I was reminded that Movie Poster will scrape the Movie Poster for whatever movie you play on XBMC if you settings and connections are correct..

I'm just curious though. Does it matter what naming format I give the movie? Let's say I like to name my movies by some kind of personal system like acronyms such as JurPrk2 (which would be Jurassic Park 2).

How does Movie Poster know the movie in order to scrape the Movie Poster from XBMC and put it into the Movie Poster cache folder? Also, does it scrape the poster from that movie database that you have it connect to (I forget, is it mpdb.com?) or from somewhere else?

the xbmc / Kodi database contains the IMDB id for the movie. thats what movieposter uses to know exactly whats playing. you can change file names name all you want, as long as Kodi scraped the right data to its database, MoviePoster will know what it is.
By default MoviePoster will try to pull updated posters and metadata from themoviedb.org since they are usually higher resolution, but if for whatever reason that fails, the poster art from Kodi will be shown.
post #1541 of 1543 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
the xbmc / Kodi database contains the IMDB id for the movie. thats what movieposter uses to know exactly whats playing. you can change file names name all you want, as long as Kodi scraped the right data to its database, MoviePoster will know what it is.
By default MoviePoster will try to pull updated posters and metadata from themoviedb.org since they are usually higher resolution, but if for whatever reason that fails, the poster art from Kodi will be shown.
I have to be honest with you. I have Kodi/XBMC installed but I have never actually used it. So my question about XBMC/Kodi is, will it play movies that I ripped from my DVD collection/Blu-ray collection? Those are the movies that I have renamed and I don't think there is any IMDB ID tagged with any of my DVD rips, so that was why I was asking how Movie Poster will know what the heck my Kodi/XBMC is playing and how the heck will Movie Poster identify my personal DVD/Blu-ray rips if I have no IMDB ID associate with my ripped DVD files.
post #1542 of 1543 Old Today, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
I have to be honest with you. I have Kodi/XBMC installed but I have never actually used it. So my question about XBMC/Kodi is, will it play movies that I ripped from my DVD collection/Blu-ray collection? Those are the movies that I have renamed and I don't think there is any IMDB ID tagged with any of my DVD rips, so that was why I was asking how Movie Poster will know what the heck my Kodi/XBMC is playing and how the heck will Movie Poster identify my personal DVD/Blu-ray rips if I have no IMDB ID associate with my ripped DVD files.
Yes, kodi can play pretty much any kind of video, including rips you have made of your dvd's and blurays. You have to have your media added to the Kodi library for the MoviePoster integration to work. when you add media to the library, kodi will scrape the metadata, including the cover art, summary, etc. as well as the imdb id, from online sources.
post #1543 of 1543 Old Today, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Showtimes

Is there any documentation someone can point me to on how to use the "Showtimes" feature?

I assume that it is used to display specific posters along with planned showtimes prior to them becoming "Now Playing" but I have not had success getting that to happen so I am probably doing it wrong (or misunderstand the intent of the feature).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories