MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

Old 04-18-2016, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Oh man. I am definitely going to have to "hard wire" my TV to the Motion Controller because now I get this message popping up every time I turn on the TV manually. This pops up without
me doing anything and if I don't choose "Yes" or "No" it automatically chooses "Yes" for me and it then goes into "Browsing photos" as per the screen/photo below as well. Meyer64, I sent you an email with my phone number. Can you call me or can I call you so you can walk me through this over the phone? I don't need help with the hard wiring steps, but before I hard wire, I just want to make sure that I not missing something obvious for the USB Sensor Cable setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to DexDeadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
@meyers 64, can we assume that you have been successful with getting the RPi to work with HTML5? If so, what is best browser?
@DexDeadly , I see that you are using Chrome on RPi, but its it Chrome or Chromium? How did you install it? Can you share any tips on this please?
Hey @CaptainKen so the plan was to run the Pi and have it boot chromium into kiosk mode. Yes I did not mean Chrome and meant Chromium lol. So far in my testing I am having a hell of a time getting Chromium to work well on my pi. It tries to load the page but the times keep just display 12:30. It is like Chromium iis ignoring the display="hidden" tag. However I'm still trying to also get Rasbpian to play nice. I was having trouble originally getting the posters to displaly in chromium but epiphany looked fine. However once I made a quick display settings change it started to load fine. Still the timers were displaying when they shouldn't. Again this maybe a chromium issue, I have not really dug to deep into it. I currently am trying to find the correct display setting for this old Hiteker TV that I am using.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexDeadly View Post
Hey @CaptainKen so the plan was to run the Pi and have it boot chromium into kiosk mode. Yes I did not mean Chrome and meant Chromium lol. So far in my testing I am having a hell of a time getting Chromium to work well on my pi. It tries to load the page but the times keep just display 12:30. It is like Chromium iis ignoring the display="hidden" tag. However I'm still trying to also get Rasbpian to play nice. I was having trouble originally getting the posters to displaly in chromium but epiphany looked fine. However once I made a quick display settings change it started to load fine. Still the timers were displaying when they shouldn't. Again this maybe a chromium issue, I have not really dug to deep into it. I currently am trying to find the correct display setting for this old Hiteker TV that I am using.
So far, I've had the best luck with Ubuntu MATE running chromium on the Pi3. It runs fine for the most part, except the trailers don't play. My limited research points to it having something to do with needing to install the h264/x264 codec, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
So far, I've had the best luck with Ubuntu MATE running chromium on the Pi3. It runs fine for the most part, except the trailers don't play. My limited research points to it having something to do with needing to install the h264/x264 codec, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Hey @meyer64 . I'm running this right now testing my old Pi since that is not being used anymore. I started fresh last night with my wheezy image. I'm only using a 4GB card so I had to find the old version. It now loads up the poster fine. However the start time and end time are still showing with 12:30AM. The posters are also not auto refreshing. It seems whatever the poster is at the time is loaded just stays on the screen. Not sure why it doesn't refresh. Anyone possibly know why? Also it does seem that the display="hidden" tag doesn't not work correctly in chromium. I did some search and a lot of people say to use visibility = hidden in order to not show. Again issue with chromium. I'll continue to see if I can find out why the page doesn't refresh. Then again maybe it is the kiosk mode. I'll report back whatever else I find.

Last edited by DexDeadly; 04-19-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexDeadly View Post
Hey @meyer64 . I'm running this right now testing my old Pi since that is not being used anymore. I started fresh last night with my wheezy image. I'm only using a 4GB card so I had to find the old version. It now loads up the poster fine. However the start time and end time are still showing with 12:30AM. The posters are also not auto refreshing. It seems whatever the poster is at the time is loaded just stays on the screen. Not sure why it doesn't refresh. Anyone possibly know why?
Sounds like the javascript on the page isn't running. The javascript hides the start / end times and also handles changing the posters / metadata flags and executing commands sent from the main program. What your getting is just the initial static page, that just shows whatever the current poster is.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Just to give everyone an update and review that meyer64 emailed me back immediately after I emailed him with my problems and we both confirmed that I forgot to install the USB Power cable that is hardwired to the back of the MotionController into the PC! Therefore the PC was over and over again issuing that "Accessing Data" words at the bottom of the Configuration Utility over and over again trying to recognize the MotionController when it was nowhere to be found!

I will try it tonight and let everyone know how it goes!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the javascript on the page isn't running. The javascript hides the start / end times and also handles changing the posters / metadata flags and executing commands sent from the main program. What your getting is just the initial static page, that just shows whatever the current poster is.
I also was thinking this. Chromium is set to allow java, however looks like there is no java installed in the raspbian image. Let me install java and then check, more then likely this is my issue.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:29 PM

so I can't seem to get java working in chromium. The out of box browser has no issue . Not sure if anyone is able to help me out in pointing me in the right direction. Chromium just does not want to load the java or work. However I have been able to get epiphany to load the page and it reloads with no issues. I've also followed these steps https://github.com/elalemanyo/raspbe...iphany-browser to have the pi boot directly up and load the page into epiphany in kiosk mode but for some reason in epiphany there is a nice big LOADING element that doesn't go away and leaves scroll bars on the screen. This makes it not really usable since that doesn't hide and therefor you will always have scroll bars. The built in browser from raspberry pi in wheezy works just as well but I can't hide the scroll bar on the right

If anyone has any other ideas why chromium isn't loading correctly that would be great I can get any browser but chromium to run this for some reason.

Last edited by DexDeadly; 04-19-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM

I finally have been able to get this working. I abandoned Chromium and went with Epiphany web browser. I actually found the built in version of it on Wheezy was the one that had the loading issue and once I followed the instructions found at that link again I was able to get it to work. I had to adjust the sleep timer to 45seconds just due to the B taking a little bit to load. It could probably be shorted to 30 seconds but I'm ok with 45. . The next plan is to make some fake movie posters using pictures of my wife and kid with made up movie titles to toss into the rotation.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just found this thread and I must say that this is a great idea. I've built several backlit movie poster boxes (just did the latest one a couple of months ago) and had I known about this I just may have gone the "hi-tech" route.
I have some questions, yes even after reading most of the 1800+ posts and looking at the website.
I'm no so smart when it comes to computers and coding etc. I'm ok with hardware and building stuff but reading the posts with all of this computer lingo and trying to understand what is going on makes my brain bleed just a little.
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction or offer advice.

Here is what I would like to do :
Run one display, probably a TV, dedicated to being a digital movie poster (sound not required). This TV could be hardwired to an existing computer (Dell XPS running Vista that I use as my home computer) or wireless using an Android tablet (Samsung) or perhaps the Dell XPS. I think the remote sensor for on off would be good idea also. I have a wireless router.
So my questions are : What is the best way to do this ? What type of cables need to be run or should it be wireless? Will my Dell XPS work for this ?
I hope I've provided enough information for some answers, forgive my basic questions but this tech stuff is a bit beyond me sometimes.
I appreciate any and all help on this.

Yamaha RXA-3050, BenQ W5000, 122" Screen, (3) Sony TAN-55, QSC EX2500, (2) Adire Maelstrom 18"
Klipsch & ADS speakers (7.1.4)
(2) Sonance 260x3, AC Infinity fans
Monster Power ProAv2000/HTS5100
Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 PM

Alright so I have this thing running and it has been nice. I guess a couple other things I've noticed that I thought I'd toss in here.

TV Shows:
Works - TV Poster Shows, Now playing shows with start and end times and tv show name in both modes.
Doesn't work - Landscape poster image does not show. Get an missing image icon. TV Shows do not cache the posters. Folder is there but empty

Radio:
If an internet radio stream plays it seems to display the last playing movie / show image with now playing. Not sure if this is something that can even be changed or not. If it's able to recognize its an internet stream and either just display a default music image or just keep rotating movie not sure but something I noticed.

I'm not sure how many other people might run into these issues but I wanted to bring it up. I'm also not sure about live tv and how that would work. Anyway that is all I have again loving the app. Next up is getting the frame itself built and everything mounted inside.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, thanks so much for your effort on this app. It really is a great piece of software. Just a few questions here. I'm running the web view on android 4.1.1 tablet using the opera web browser, and the plugin via a kodi NUC pc. Does anyone know of a browser for android that can run in full screen mode, while still being able to support the animations between posters, and the runtime info? The browsers I've tried, firefox, chrome, android browser, opera, opera mini, and cherry browser, and even fullscreen browser all either don't support full screen, or in the case of fullscreen browser, do not update quickly enough/don't seem to support the animations. Opera works the best, but still doesnt support full screen/getting rid of the address bar completely. Any ideas? Also, some of the posters load for me and others don't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, all are correctly tagged with .nfos, posters, banners etc, using ember media manager and correctly set in my library via kodi. The only thing I can think of is that some were custom done concert posters, that are not on themoviedb, but are stored locally with the movie files. Anyone who has any ideas would be greatly appreciated, again thanks for the software!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 PM

Hey @Pheelip so I did some testing. If you use chrome on your phone. Then make sure you select REquest Desktop Site. Once you do that click the 3dots and go Add to home screen. Once you do that give this app a try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bar.free&hl=en should hide your status bar and then load the icon chrome created and you should be 100% full screen of the app on the screen. Let me know if that works for you.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Final stages of my home cinema and bar. Fired up my LG 55" video wall screen with near zero bezel and love it.

Running a Intel NUC behind the screen. LG is mounted on a press and release wall bracket, expensive but great.

Great software thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1398842  
Old 04-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Hey there, great recommendation there on the smart status bar app @DexDeadly . It does in fact work great for removing the status bar and displaying the webserver in fullscreen. The only bummer is I can't figure out how to automate android to load this type of chrome web app on bootup of the tablet. I have an autostart program installed on the tablet, but it does not recognize the web app/homepage link as an app that can be loaded on start up. Any ideas anyone?
Old 04-23-2016, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualos View Post
Final stages of my home cinema and bar. Fired up my LG 55" video wall screen with near zero bezel and love it.

Running a Intel NUC behind the screen. LG is mounted on a press and release wall bracket, expensive but great. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbO1jXWs1d0

nice looking tv with that thin bezel

has anyone mounted their tv on a rotating mount? would love to be able to show certain things in landscape and portrait
Old 04-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'm having a problem with motion posters. Any time a motion poster comes up it loops endlessly until I kill the program. I've seen it happen with 3 different motion posters. If I turn off motion poster support, everything runs normally.

This is on v2.2.0.1.

Has anyone else seen this?
- Dave
Old 04-24-2016, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth122 View Post
I'm having a problem with motion posters. Any time a motion poster comes up it loops endlessly until I kill the program. I've seen it happen with 3 different motion posters. If I turn off motion poster support, everything runs normally.

This is on v2.2.0.1.

Has anyone else seen this?
- Dave
What format is the motionposter file?
Are you using a native display or webview?

Motionposters will loop until the poster timeout expires. For example, if a poster is normally shown for 30 seconds, and the motionposter is only 3 seconds, it would be normal for it to loop 10 times.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
What format is the motionposter file?
Are you using a native display or webview?

Motionposters will loop until the poster timeout expires. For example, if a poster is normally shown for 30 seconds, and the motionposter is only 3 seconds, it would be normal for it to loop 10 times.
These are all MP4 files that I downloaded from your site.

The problem is in the native display mode.

I understand the looping behavior. This is happening longer than that. These same posters were working with my prior install (a 2.0.X version if I remember correctly). It's just with the latest version that this started happening.

EDIT: I tried to temporarily work around the issue by turning off motion posters in the Settings -> Display menu, but it's still showing them anyway. It seems that this setting isn't working, at least on my system. Or maybe that's a bug related to the looping problem.
- Dave

Last edited by dth122; 04-25-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheelip View Post
Hey there, great recommendation there on the smart status bar app @DexDeadly . It does in fact work great for removing the status bar and displaying the webserver in fullscreen. The only bummer is I can't figure out how to automate android to load this type of chrome web app on bootup of the tablet. I have an autostart program installed on the tablet, but it does not recognize the web app/homepage link as an app that can be loaded on start up. Any ideas anyone?
I'm not sure of an app for auto loading @Pheelip if you find one that works well I'd be curious. Something for another project I'm playing around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualos View Post

Running a Intel NUC behind the screen. LG is mounted on a press and release wall bracket, expensive but great. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbO1jXWs1d0

This pictures confuses me lol. This looks really cool but it looks fake. Do you have this recessed into the wall? The TV is a gorgeous display thats for sure but I dont know ifits the lighting throwing it off but i'm really curious on how you did the mounting.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
nice looking tv with that thin bezel

has anyone mounted their tv on a rotating mount? would love to be able to show certain things in landscape and portrait
I have a rotating mount. I have one TV as portrait and the other is landscape. The landscape plays the trailers while the portrait displays the poster.
DexDeadly likes this.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBuda View Post
I have a rotating mount. I have one TV as portrait and the other is landscape. The landscape plays the trailers while the portrait displays the poster.
which rotating mount did you use? is it the one from amazon?

also, has anyone used this on a 4k display? any significant difference vs 1080?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
which rotating mount did you use? is it the one from amazon?

also, has anyone used this on a 4k display? any significant difference vs 1080?
the mount I'm using is by Displays2go WBLP1246F I can't post the URL but I did order from Amazon

I have a 4k display, haven't played around with posters higher than 1500x1000 yet. The trailers are only 1080p
Old 04-26-2016, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
has anyone used this on a 4k display? any significant difference vs 1080?
I'm in the process of refreshing my MoviePoster setup. I purchased a Sceptre U435Cv-U 43" 4k screen for a mere $230. This display does have some issues, namely some default image processing that causes some artifacts, but that can be reduced by changing some settings. For this purpose I think it looks fantastic. I compared the 4k Sceptre to a similar sized 1080 Samsung LCD. The image of the 4k display is noticeably smoother and details are finer. This is especially apparent when you are close to the screen. On the 1080 screen I could see separation of the pixels if I walked within a couple feet of the screen. The 4k is razor sharp at any distance. I especially notice this in text and the media flags (studio images, rating, etc). Some posters have fine details where the 4k resolution is an advantage also. The difference is not as apparent if you're more tan a few feet away, but at least on the two sets I was comparing the 4k seemed to have better color and just 'popped' more.

But, running a 4k display does come at a price. First, to take full advantage of the added resolution, you'll want to use higher resolution posters and trailers, which take up more storage space and use more processing power to display. The image transition animations aren't as smooth running at 4k as they are at 1080, unless you have a pretty powerful computer and some low end PCs might not be able to output 4k at all. I did my initial testing on a 4th gen Core i5 using the integrated graphics. For my permanent installation, I opted to go with a 6th gen i5 since it has better graphics processing and the transitions are smoother. In any case, don't expect good results running 4k on a low end PC.

MoviePoster does have options to prefer automatic downloading of higher resolution posters from themoviedb.org, but few are over 3000x2000. As of 2.2.0.1 MoviePoster also has support for scaling the posters internally at 4k using a more advanced algorithm. Normally, the software would render the image at its native resolution and then just stretch it to fill the screen. Rendering them at 4k could improve image quality depending on the source image, but again, it takes more processing power. Rendering the posters at 4k uses about twice the RAM as the simple scaling.
popalock likes this.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
I'm in the process of refreshing my MoviePoster setup. I purchased a Sceptre U435Cv-U 43" 4k screen for a mere $230. This display does have some issues, namely some default image processing that causes some artifacts, but that can be reduced by changing some settings. For this purpose I think it looks fantastic. I compared the 4k Sceptre to a similar sized 1080 Samsung LCD. The image of the 4k display is noticeably smoother and details are finer. This is especially apparent when you are close to the screen. On the 1080 screen I could see separation of the pixels if I walked within a couple feet of the screen. The 4k is razor sharp at any distance. I especially notice this in text and the media flags (studio images, rating, etc). Some posters have fine details where the 4k resolution is an advantage also. The difference is not as apparent if you're more tan a few feet away, but at least on the two sets I was comparing the 4k seemed to have better color and just 'popped' more.

But, running a 4k display does come at a price. First, to take full advantage of the added resolution, you'll want to use higher resolution posters and trailers, which take up more storage space and use more processing power to display. The image transition animations aren't as smooth running at 4k as they are at 1080, unless you have a pretty powerful computer and some low end PCs might not be able to output 4k at all. I did my initial testing on a 4th gen Core i5 using the integrated graphics. For my permanent installation, I opted to go with a 6th gen i5 since it has better graphics processing and the transitions are smoother. In any case, don't expect good results running 4k on a low end PC.

MoviePoster does have options to prefer automatic downloading of higher resolution posters from themoviedb.org, but few are over 3000x2000. As of 2.2.0.1 MoviePoster also has support for scaling the posters internally at 4k using a more advanced algorithm. Normally, the software would render the image at its native resolution and then just stretch it to fill the screen. Rendering them at 4k could improve image quality depending on the source image, but again, it takes more processing power. Rendering the posters at 4k uses about twice the RAM as the simple scaling.
what pre-built system like a nuc would you recommend for a 4k set-up? i noticed that you stated the kangaroo was an acceptable option for 1080.

brianbuda,

any issues with your mount at all? does it stay level along the horizontal or vertical plane when you rotate?

thank you both!
Old 04-27-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
what pre-built system like a nuc would you recommend for a 4k set-up? i noticed that you stated the kangaroo was an acceptable option for 1080.

brianbuda,

any issues with your mount at all? does it stay level along the horizontal or vertical plane when you rotate?

thank you both!
I've had no problems with the mounts. There's a little notch so it "clicks" into place for portrait and landscape.

@meyer64 that's the exact TV I just purchased as well. I agree, for the movieposters, it's a perfect size and quality. Is there a setting/option to download 4k trailers (if they're available)?
Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Multiple Digital Movie Poster

I started out today looking at poster cases for my existing posters.. found some digital signage and then on to movieposter app. Great work! After reading (many) of the posts, I wanted to reach out if anyone had figured out a good semi turn key solution. I'd like to purchase a poster case and mount everything I need inside.

I had thought about going the route of Samsung screen sharing but that runs into trouble (beyond the obvious expense) when you have multiple screens you want individual control. Hard wiring all of them to a central computer is another option but since we're going hitech I don't like the idea of running hdmi or other cables for semi static images if I don't have to. I don't want to limit to a single room, nor limit by the number of video outputs on my media player. I would also prefer to leave the media server to do its thing for the main projector and not spare any cycles to control the posters. It should possible to pull the images from my NAS or media server wirelessly via wifi or bluetooth. So this leads me back to the pi or similar.

My optimal configuration would involve:

- Picture case that fits display and controller
- LCD/LED monitor or smarttv 2k+
- bluetooth or wifi controller mounted in case with display (raspPi or possibly tablet) - controller should run some type of client that can be controlled by a central server application like MoviePoster.
- control software for each screen via computer/app/remote
- each case would require only a single power outlet (screen/pi would be connected internally on outlet w/surge protection and run from single plug)
- integration with my existing media center (Kodi / standalone) to display now playing and if possible 'similar' movies in the genre of any movies that are being previewed or selected.

CASE [1:N] <-- LED Display <-- RaspberryPi w/hdmi ---- [1:N] <-- bluetooth/wifi <-- Media Server

Has anyone completed such a setup that they are happy with? Cost isn't a huge factor (I'd rather it work well than go on the cheap) but obviously I don't want to run an expensive tablet as the backend to each display, nor do I want to run smarttvs for each.

Currently I'm running a Zbox ID91 w/Kodi as well as a Synology DS1515 w/Plex.

Thought I would reach out and see what ya'll would recommend before I start in the wrong direction.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:

what kind of artifacts do you speak of? Seeing as that you and brian have had success, I may purchase one of those units. I was debating on getting a vizio before...
Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM

@davisnub I got your PM but I can't reply since my post count isn't higher than 15 yet if you PM me your email address, I'll reply
Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM

@snowboardheathen - so what I am currently doing is using the latest version of Movie Poster App. It has a built in WebServer now. Whats great with this is, I took an old 17" screen and my old raspberry pi and have it running and booting directly into the webpage. However if you are talking multiple poster displays and you want them all to have there own control then you probably be better with a computer-on-a-stick setup and have each display running its own instance of Movie Poster app. With that you would then just be able to navigate to the IP address of the display and control it. If you want it to do the Now Playing all you would do is point it to your Kodi instance. I have a video demonstrating how I have mine working with Kodi I am not sure if this is allowed but here it is
. As far as custom posters you can definately add them in the software there is a custom posters section in the definitive guide I would suggest reading. I'm personally using the webserver which means every display shows the same poster, however I know meyer64 has talked about future versions where the displays will have there own posters.

Not sure if all of this helps you but I hope it gives some direction I currently run the app on a virtual machine and have my pi just load the webpage over my wifi and it works flawlessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement