MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #181 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ok no problem... I can live with the current method of double-clicking on the screen to close, I'm not sure of this whole web remote control thing, I currently connect using RDP to my HTPC using a Andriod tablet so there is no easy right click. I'll mess around with Trivia folder and see how it goes. All my digital photos are organized by dirctory & folder structure of Year / Month on my hard drive so I can just manually change the folder on occasion. Which is better than nothing. Im going to look for a motion activated 12v trigger online and see if they exist today so the tv comes on when someone walks by it like you have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The trick to having a motion sensor turn the tv on is knowing if it's already on, so it doesn't continually switch on and off when it detects motion. Make sure you account for that. My motion sensor setup is working flawlessly for me and was around $30 worth of parts. It wasn't all that hard to put together and is mostly off the shelf components. Just had to do a little soldering and coding for the teensy usb board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Yeah I was just looking to rig something off the shelf type, no way am i electronically inclined using board connectors etc. LOL!

BTW How did you make the Great Dane Marquie Page...What font or program is that?

I'd like to set up my theater Name in that same gold font for my start page.
post #184 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I used paint.Net to make the Great Dane Cinema logo. Its a modified version of a desktop wallpaper I made for my HTPC. Unfortunately I cant find my original files for it at the moment. But I've attached the most recent .pdn file I could find. Hopefully it will be usefully in creating your own. The text isnt just a font, rather a layer with the text cut out of it, over a layer containing the gold gradient. The reflection of the text is also composed of multiple layers to achieve the desired effect. Poke around in the .pdn file and turn the layers on and off and you'll get the idea.

Great Dane Cinema reflection Poster small.zip 222k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Great Dane Cinema reflection Poster small.zip (221.7 KB, 22 views)

post #185 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM

You Sir by far are the BEST humaniod on this planet ...Thank you! biggrin.gif
post #186 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by loma View Post

I have set up as indicated above and can get access from another computer. However I wish to open MoviePoster with EventGhost web page. Can you help with an example of the path (mapped drive) to use to be able to access MoviePoster?

Hi meyer, I think you missed my previous post as above. Can you help?
post #187 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I couldnt find my working files that still contained the separate layers for making the reflected text, so i put together a quick example file. I think the font I used was Garamond. reflected text example.zip 71k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip reflected text example.zip (71.5 KB, 15 views)

post #188 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loma View Post

Hi meyer, I think you missed my previous post as above. Can you help?

in the 'Start Application' Action Item you have set up to launch MoviePoster you should be able to just change the executable path to point to the location on the network share. if you have a network share mapped as a drive it could look like: X:\movieposter\movieposter.exe
or using a unc path: \\sharename\movieposter.exe
the exact path names will be different based on your exact setup.

post #189 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Thanks for your works
I just want to know where can we download the latest version of the software
The latest I found on http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcposterdisp/ is 1.0.1.5 , is it the latest ?

Regards
post #190 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes. That is the latest release. I'm currently working on adding new features and will release the next version when complete.

post #191 of 910 Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

in the 'Start Application' Action Item you have set up to launch MoviePoster you should be able to just change the executable path to point to the location on the network share. if you have a network share mapped as a drive it could look like: X:\movieposter\movieposter.exe
or using a unc path: \\sharename\movieposter.exe
the exact path names will be different based on your exact setup.

Thanks for your response. I will review to see if this approach will achieve what I am trying to do..
post #192 of 910 Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Wow- What an awesome thread .

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #193 of 910 Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Is there an option to turn off the "Coming Soon"?
post #194 of 910 Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not currently, but I plan to include support for custom banners in the next release. You could easily make a blank one, or substitute whatever image you prefer.

post #195 of 910 Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, meyer64 ... excellent program. This will replace two of my lightboxes. I'm going to buy a dedicated ZOTAC PC to run Windows 7 and MoviePoster, but how will I split the HDMI cable to go to two different TVs? Is there a better way of doing this?

Just tested the trailer option and when it tries to play it gives me an error: mplayer - no disk ...

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1."

-Colton
post #196 of 910 Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Whoa. That's wired...... Does that happen for any trailer you try to play? Did you change any settings? Or did you happen to have mplayer already installed separately?

post #197 of 910 Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A quick google search reveals that the error can be caused by the mplayer working directory being on a drive with removable media like a cd drive or sd card read that doesn't currently have a disk mounted. One Post found suggests changing the drive letters of cd drives and card readers. It's worth a shot I guess.

post #198 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks again, meyer64. I do have a WD Passport connected (USB). I'll disconnect it and try again.

What computer system do you recommend to run MoviePoster? I'm looking for something very small for my home theater. I'll use a HDMI splitter to send the MoviePoster to two 42" LCD TVs.
post #199 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it doesnt need to be a very powerful computer. I run mine on an Nvidia Ion system with an Atom 330 and 2gb ram. Any of the Zotac systems would be plenty good enough. If it can run Win7 reasonably, it will be enough for MoviePoster. The only thing i can really see being an issue on very slow hardware would be HD trailer playback. Personally i dont see the point in playing any trailers over 720p though since the trailer playback area doesn't fill the screen anyway.

The only problem I have run into with my setup is that I only have a 32GB SSD installed. My internet connection is fairly slow, so I have MoviePoster set to download the trailers automatically instead of streaming them, which starts to fill up the drive. I'll be upgrading to a larger drive as soon as I get around to it.

post #200 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

Thanks again, meyer64. I do have a WD Passport connected (USB). I'll disconnect it and try again.

What computer system do you recommend to run MoviePoster? I'm looking for something very small for my home theater. I'll use a HDMI splitter to send the MoviePoster to two 42" LCD TVs.

Just wondering why you would want to split the HDMI to two different displays? You are going to have the same thing showing on both then? I can see having two displays and having different posters display on each one, you would have to run something like a dual monitor setup

post #201 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

True. It will show the same posters on both sides of my theater. My home theater room configuration has a ticket booth in the middle and a poster lightbox on each side. I want to replace the lightboxes with vertical 42" LCD TVs, but to run different posters on each would require a dedicated computer for each. I *may* do that down the road, but for now both LCDs will show the same poster.

The other option is finding a good 42" LCD TV that has a decent slideshow feature and simply put movie poster images on a small USB key and have each TV display different posters. This eliminates having to buy a dedicated PC for each.
post #202 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

True. It will show the same posters on both sides of my theater. My home theater room configuration has a ticket booth in the middle and a poster lightbox on each side. I want to replace the lightboxes with vertical 42" LCD TVs, but to run different posters on each would require a dedicated computer for each. I *may* do that down the road, but for now both LCDs will show the same poster.

The other option is finding a good 42" LCD TV that has a decent slideshow feature and simply put movie poster images on a small USB key and have each TV display different posters. This eliminates having to buy a dedicated PC for each.

Is it possible to run two instances of virtual movie poster at the same time on one computer set-up with dual displays. That way you can run a seperate cable to each screen in dual display mode, as long as the compter supports it.

post #203 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You could run two displays off one pc. Nearly all modern video cards support multiple displays. MoviePoster doesn't do anything to stop multiple instances from running on the same PC either, but the config file is currently stored in your user directory so all settings between the two instances would be identical, including window position. If you want to pursue running two instances on one PC, it shouldn't be too hard for me to make changes to support that usage scenario. You could also try running one of the instances using a 'runas' command to force that instance to run under a different user account and therefore have its own settings and window position. If you do this, make sure to set different port numbers for the web remote for each instance or they will conflict. You could have separate audio outputs for each instance configures in the settings too. It should work, but I haven't tested it.

post #204 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could run two displays off one pc. Nearly all modern video cards support multiple displays. MoviePoster doesn't do anything to stop multiple instances from running on the same PC either, but the config file is currently stored in your user directory so all settings between the two instances would be identical, including window position. If you want to pursue running two instances on one PC, it shouldn't be too hard for me to make changes to support that usage scenario. You could also try running one of the instances using a 'runas' command to force that instance to run under a different user account and therefore have its own settings and window position. If you do this, make sure to set different port numbers for the web remote for each instance or they will conflict. You could have separate audio outputs for each instance configures in the settings too. It should work, but I haven't tested it.

You sure make it hard to resist buying TV's to do this, glad it doesn't work on Media Browser as of right now or I would be spending money.................really need a couple of 42" touch screens cool.gif

post #205 of 910 Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, yes!! Please support multi-displays! That would be so awesome!
post #206 of 910 Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Hi meyer, how are the updates coming along?
post #207 of 910 Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Slow and steady. I've been pretty busy with other things lately, but i do have the code a bit more modular to make it easier to support other media players.
I have been in contact with the folks over at MediaBrowser and have been given access to their Dev Forum. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to set up a test environment for MB3 yet.

post #208 of 910 Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Slow and steady. I've been pretty busy with other things lately, but i do have the code a bit more modular to make it easier to support other media players.
I have been in contact with the folks over at MediaBrowser and have been given access to their Dev Forum. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to set up a test environment for MB3 yet.

Great. I did see your post at MB and really look forward to your input there. By the way, will Remote have a close button so that one can close the remote only not MoviePoster?
post #209 of 910 Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
Thank you soo much for this amazing software. I have been using it for over 2 months and it has been great!
I had two feature requests if possible.

1) Can you allow animated gif files to be used for motion posters.
2) Can we have a custom folder for our own images/posters. I was hosting a super bowl party and would have loved to put in a poster to be displayed for the upcoming game. Also occasionally I would like my family photos displayed ( i know it defeats the purpose of a Movie poster" but it would make the application fit greater needs.

Thanks !
post #210 of 910 Old 03-31-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

loma, yes the ability to close the application as well as shutdown/ reboot the pc from the web remote will be included in the next release.

Tranced, animated gif support for motion posters is on my list of features to add, I haven't gotten to it yet, but it should be in the next release. It will be pretty easy to add support for just displaying a folder full of pictures or custom posters too.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page