MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 226Likes

post #2191 of 2202 Old 11-30-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
For trouble shooting purposes, try to stop the movie and then play it again. It could be an issue with the 16:9 backdrop image not being downloaded yet. Let me know what happens.

Yes that worked. I had to start and stop couple of times before it picked up. I already have all the images scraped from Kodi. Is movie poster trying to download again from online? i am getting the scroll in landscape mode is this expected? i am using 1080p.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1798313

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2202 Old 11-30-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemulasri View Post
Yes that worked. I had to start and stop couple of times before it picked up. I already have all the images scraped from Kodi. Is movie poster trying to download again from online? i am getting the scroll in landscape mode is this expected? i am using 1080p.Attachment 1798313

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, MoviePoster downloads all images and saves them to its own cache. It probably just a timing issue. I will look into it.
I'll take a look at the scrollbar issue as well.
post #2193 of 2202 Old 11-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I finally got around to getting a TV for a poster on black Friday. Right now I'm just making my own posters as jpegs and using a fire stick to display them (USB drive will work on some TV's but didn't work well on the LG I bought).

Anyway I read through a part of this thread years ago when I was building my theater and a lot has changed in that time, great work on the software.

I have some questions, Is there much benefit to running MP if you are not using a PC to stream your movies? I'm just using a BR player connected to my AVR, not interested at this time in ripping my Blu-rays and running Plex or similar.

Now if I still wanted to take advantage of the auto download of posters instead of creating my own how do I go about streaming it to the TV (I'd prefer not to build an HTPC just for this purpose) What app/hardware? The guide states that it will download and show the appropriate info if you stream a movie or show using Kodi or Plex which makes sense. What I'm asking is what method do I use to stream the MP app to a TV that is not hardwired to the PC?

Thanks in advance.
post #2194 of 2202 Old 11-30-2016, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Yes, MoviePoster downloads all images and saves them to its own cache. It probably just a timing issue. I will look into it.
I'll take a look at the scrollbar issue as well.
I have been trying several movies. I just tried my local movie and i do see the 16:9 image in the Movieposter Cache but for some reason it still does not pick it up.

I will keep digging into this. Let me know if you need me to check anything specific and i will look into it.

[UPDATE] There is definitely a timing issue. The first time i start any movie it does not work. But after 5 minutes if i stop the movie and play it again it picks up. As for the local movie for some reason Movieposter had two folders for the same movie (one with movie name in the end and another just the ID) and that was causing the issue. Once i deleted both the folders and ran the movie again it picked it up (Still needed to play the movie twice). Hope that helps.

Last edited by vemulasri; 11-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
post #2195 of 2202 Old 11-30-2016, 01:45 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
I will look into the language options.

As far as getting rid of the bottom bar. I could create an option or that. However, the poster dimensions still wont fill the screen. Almost all posters are a 2:3 ratio. your screen (in portrait mode) is 9:16. So, you'll still have unused space on the screen.
I'm ok about an option for the bottom bar, the fact is I have a custom theme and plan to create another one, but even if I change the theme, the color for the timer text and the logos are still the same, if I change them for a theme, it apply to all other themes, that's why an option to just enable/disable the logos could be nice (And I can manage the colors manually, maybe by editting the xml file in the theme folder?)

One more thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is when I use the portrait mode, my mouse always go to the screen where the software run at fullscreen (no problem when not on full screen). My setup is a simple dual screen on the same computer. Oh and there is also a litle border at the bottom when I'm on full screen (on the attached file, the grey part under "not registered").
For this two reasons I use the webview but I prefer to tell this and maybe be able to use the "software" portrait mod

Thank you again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	border.png
Views:	28
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1798833  
post #2196 of 2202 Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey all -

Quick question. I've been looking for a tv for this project (32-40 should do) but haven't had any luck finding a diamond in the rough on Craigslist so I think I'll just buy something new.

Any reason why I wouldn't go with a 720p vs 1080p? there are a lot of good deals for LG or Samsung at 720p. I can't see there being a difference since it is used for quick viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2197 of 2202 Old 12-03-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Why didn't you take advantage of Black Friday? BB had 32" 1080P hdtv's for $157.

The posters are 1000x1500 resolution, so why not take advantage of the extra resolution of a 1080P hdtv?
post #2198 of 2202 Old 12-03-2016, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb222 View Post
Hey all -

Quick question. I've been looking for a tv for this project (32-40 should do) but haven't had any luck finding a diamond in the rough on Craigslist so I think I'll just buy something new.

Any reason why I wouldn't go with a 720p vs 1080p? there are a lot of good deals for LG or Samsung at 720p. I can't see there being a difference since it is used for quick viewing.

I'd recommend going at least 1080p, even 4k if you can. When I started this project I used a cheap 32" 720p tv I got off craigslist. It served its purpose for a while. At a distance it did look fine, but the resolution was noticeably lacking any time I walked close to the screen. I tested with other 1080p screens as well. I now run a 43" 4K TV that I picked up on sale for around $230. The difference in quality is huge. Everything looks far sharper, particularly the text and metadata images, drastically so at close distances. Now when I walk by the poster screen its hard to even notice the pixels and looks almost as sharp as a printed poster would.
post #2199 of 2202 Old 12-04-2016, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I'd recommend going at least 1080p, even 4k if you can. When I started this project I used a cheap 32" 720p tv I got off craigslist. It served its purpose for a while. At a distance it did look fine, but the resolution was noticeably lacking any time I walked close to the screen. I tested with other 1080p screens as well. I now run a 43" 4K TV that I picked up on sale for around $230. The difference in quality is huge. Everything looks far sharper, particularly the text and metadata images, drastically so at close distances. Now when I walk by the poster screen its hard to even notice the pixels and looks almost as sharp as a printed poster would.

Thanks, that is really helpful. There are a couple on craigslist posts for LG 40inch for 220, so I'll see what kind of deal I can get.

post #2200 of 2202 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb222 View Post
Thanks, that is really helpful. There are a couple on craigslist posts for LG 40inch for 220, so I'll see what kind of deal I can get.

Black Friday or Thursday was the day. I picked up an LG 40" 1080p for $150 from BestBuy.

Keep watching they may have another deal. The real steal was the Toshiba 40" 4k for $199 that was gone when I got there.
post #2201 of 2202 Old Today, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Finally got a chance to try out Movieposter APP. So far very nice.

I setup a Raspberry Pi3 hooked up to an old 27inch I hung on the wall in room leading to home theater. Configured Rasbian on the Pi3 with Wifi and to auto boot into Chromium in Kiosk mode. Setup up movieposter app on my server machine and so far its working great. So far I just display posters...have not tried running trailers.

Took a little fiddling with various Rasbian config files for stuff like portrait mode, turn off screen saver and blanking, etc) to get everything working but not too bad. Only problem is I can see the mouse cursor. Have not had chance to poke around to see how to get rid of it.
post #2202 of 2202 Old Today, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 284
A little googling and was able to get rid of the cursor. My Pi3 running as virtual movie poster has been running now for 2 days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page