MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Some of you may have already noticed that the Rotten Tomatoes scores are no longer being populated for new posters added to the cache. This is due to changes at Rotten Tomatoes. Rotten Tomatoes no longer provides free access to their data. Paid access is prohibitively expensive. Because of this, the Rotten Tomatoes functionality will no longer work in any version of MoviePoster. Any poster that has cached data will still be displayed, but no new data can be retrieved. The Rotten Tomatoes scores will be replaced with a star rating system in the next version of MoviePoster.
opeters likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MoviePoster is used by home theater enthusiasts all around the world. I am continually amazed by the support the program has received from such a diverse community. Thank you all very much. A few international users have requested support for retrieving posters in languages other than English. I am pleased to announce that I have now added support to specify the language posters and metadata should be saved in. This will be available starting in version 2.3
See the example below for our Italian friends.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having the exact same problem as Davisnub. My deviceID is correct for my RasPlex client and I am logged into my Plex Account. When I start a movie, I get that Now Playing screen and the start and end times show up, but I can't seem to get a single poster to show. Tried creating a custom list and still can't get anything to show. Ideas?

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection

Old 01-29-2017, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
I'm having the exact same problem as Davisnub. My deviceID is correct for my RasPlex client and I am logged into my Plex Account. When I start a movie, I get that Now Playing screen and the start and end times show up, but I can't seem to get a single poster to show. Tried creating a custom list and still can't get anything to show. Ideas?
Are you using WebView or a native display? Which version of MoviePoster?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using final version of Movieposter (2.2.0.1). Movieposter is running on PC and am using primary display for posters. Raspberry Pi 3 running latest build of RasPlex. Movieposter plugin enabled on PC for ONLY Plex. DeviceID has been confirmed to be the same as name in RasPlex. Just changed password for Plex, and have changed accordingly on plugin page in Movieposter and RasPlex. Movieposter wasn't showing poster images before password change, so that isn't an issue. The two are talking to each other, as I can see Movieposter change to that Now Showing screen with the timeline on top. Just no posters. If I stop the movie, it will go back to the slideshow of movies I have available.

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have a few basic questions that I can't seem to find an answer to in this thread. Perhaps my search terms suck.

I have 3 Kodi boxes in my house, one Windows, one LibreELEC and one running on an AndroidTV.

My database is managed by Emby, so it's synchronized between all of the boxes. Data is on my unRAID server and only contains the actual movie. All of the metadata / posters / etc, is on the server in a totally separate folder managed by Emby.

Would this work in my situation, or does the poster & trailer need to be in the folder with the movie?

Do I point the Movie Poster app to the server, or one of the Kodi installations?

Thanks and sorry for the basic questions.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
I have a few basic questions that I can't seem to find an answer to in this thread. Perhaps my search terms suck.

I have 3 Kodi boxes in my house, one Windows, one LibreELEC and one running on an AndroidTV.

My database is managed by Emby, so it's synchronized between all of the boxes. Data is on my unRAID server and only contains the actual movie. All of the metadata / posters / etc, is on the server in a totally separate folder managed by Emby.

Would this work in my situation, or does the poster & trailer need to be in the folder with the movie?

Do I point the Movie Poster app to the server, or one of the Kodi installations?

Thanks and sorry for the basic questions.
You would point MoviePoster to whichever Kodi installation you want to show posters for. I have not tested your exact scenario with using Emby to manage your library, so I'll be curious if there are any issues. It does not matter which platform you are using to run Kodi, Kodi will report the movie data to MoviePoster using its JSON interface. MoviePoster will cache its own copy of artwork and trailers, so it doesn't matter where you have Kodi store it. Personally, I use the mySQL database to keep my kodi boxes in sync and it works great with MoviePoster.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
You would point MoviePoster to whichever Kodi installation you want to show posters for. I have not tested your exact scenario with using Emby to manage your library, so I'll be curious if there are any issues. It does not matter which platform you are using to run Kodi, Kodi will report the movie data to MoviePoster using its JSON interface. MoviePoster will cache its own copy of artwork and trailers, so it doesn't matter where you have Kodi store it. Personally, I use the mySQL database to keep my kodi boxes in sync and it works great with MoviePoster.
Thanks for the help. I found this on the website and am wondering if it just works with the "Now Playing" portion of Emby?

KODI, EMBY, and PLEX integration shows artwork for currently playing media.

Would I just skip the Emby API generation portion of the Google Doc I found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.jt5oceduisrv

I was looking at buying this to run the app on and was wondering if it would be a good choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Azulle-Quantu...K4SG6MYE0XVJGH

Quote:
I have not tested your exact scenario with using Emby to manage your library, so I'll be curious if there are any issues.

I don't mind being a Guinea pig.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Is there a different thread or consolidated site that has collected some of the different framed monitor builds that you guys have done? Or one that has some details on the step by step process that a person did to complete their setup? I'd love to see details on how they framed it, how they vented it, if they removed drywall behind it to flush mount it, etc.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
Is there a different thread or consolidated site that has collected some of the different framed monitor builds that you guys have done? Or one that has some details on the step by step process that a person did to complete their setup? I'd love to see details on how they framed it, how they vented it, if they removed drywall behind it to flush mount it, etc.
There are a few pictures of completed installations on the MoviePoster web site.
http://movieposterapp.com/screenshots.html

I'd love to add some more. If anyone is willing to share photos of their installation for use on the website, please send them to me at movieposterapp@gmail.com
Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I'd be more than happy to contribute some back to the cause, but what kind of shots are you looking for? More "finished product" or "in progress", or both?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to add a 35-40" 'now playing' MP outside of our theater room. After reviewing the forum I was initially interested in the Chromebit solution. But it seems that is just to get around the need to run a HDMI cable to the monitor. It still requires a PC running windows with MP to support the display.

I would like to just install the display on the wall (in a shallow case) with the PC (preferably some type of PC stick or maybe something like ZBOX CI323 nano) mounted right along with it (dedicated to running the MP software). My 2nd preference would be to just run the HDMI to the frame in-wall and run the MP software from a small but adaquite PC (like the zbox) in my media closet with my HTPC, and other components.

I am only looking to run a single monitor, 35-40" screen (possibly with 4k since they are relatively cheap) and a PC dedicated to the MP software. I have KODI running on a Zbox already and have had no complaints, but since its a linux dedicated install I would still need a separate PC for MP.

Any recommendations on a build? I don't want to go overboard on cost, but I want it to work well and am not interested in picking up a used or otherwise less optimal screen/computer just to save a few bucks. I'd rather just follow a recommended and tested 'blueprint' than experiement too much. I tend to overthink and I don't want to min/max the project to death

Thanks
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks for the link, was hoping for something more along the lines of how people built the hardware side of things. If they decased the monitor, if they sunk the body of it into the wall so it didn't protrude too much, how they framed it, how hot it gets, how they wired it, etc.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the link, was hoping for something more along the lines of how people built the hardware side of things. If they decased the monitor, if they sunk the body of it into the wall so it didn't protrude too much, how they framed it, how hot it gets, how they wired it, etc.
I'd be interested in this as well. I like the look of the wood frame encased one from the original post. And with a led screen it should be able to be fairly low profile 3-4" depth? Maybe some vents or a fan on the top to keep the enclosure cool (https://www.coolerguys.com/collectio...-tfd-b6015m05z) . I like the idea of insetting it into the wall to keep the profile minimal.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Mine was designed around "hiding" the MoviePoster TV on a wall with several other standard posters. I'm sorry I didn't document the MP install that well, but here's what I can find:

I started by just cuting out the framing and the wall, making a pass-through about 2" larger all around than the TV. I framed it in, put a dedicated power outlet inside, and ran Cat 5e (for control) and HDMI (to pass the output from my HTPC, which controlls the MP app). After that, I put a piece of plywood over the back of the box, with drywall screws holding it in place so I could remove it later. This is the best picture I have left, but if you removed the screws, you'd see the TV just sitting in a box made of the 2x6s from framing.

When I sheetrocked the inside, I just came flush up to the plywood, since none of it would be visible when the room was done.

From the outside, you can see a couple of the other pictures with it. I made all of the frames myself, and made one for the MP TV to match. Inside of its frame I cut some standard poster matting to the opening of the picture. The TV itself is just sitting inside the 2x6 frame, with a couple of shims to bring it to an even height with the black frame, and only a single long screw up top center, into the 2x6, to keep it from moving.

Nothing too crazy with my implementation. The whole line of posters outside was done to give everyone in the family a poster of their own, with the MP TV showing off right in front of the theater entrance. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the inside, but let me know if there's any more info that I can give you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPInside.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	1931361   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPInsideDone.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1931369   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPOutside.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1931377   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPInsideFinished.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1931385  
meyer64 likes this.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
There's a few approaches in the Look what Black Friday got me!
thread.

My current plans are to insert my "mask" panel into a horizontally run wood feature wall. The hdtv will be hung from some brackets straddling inwall framing, and
I plan on a door behind, for access.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm finally getting some time to clean up loose ends on Version 2.3 . It has taken longer than I, and I'm sure you all, would have liked. Some of you have been looking forward to running multiple screens off a single MoviePoster PC, while showing different posters on each screen. This does have some complications, but they are mostly worked out now. I just wanted to share a quick demo video to give you all an idea of what will be possible. In the demo I have 2 displayGroups configured. DisplayGroup0 has 3 screens with different functions, Primary, Info, and Auxiliary. DisplayGroup1 has a primary and an Auxiliary. The Info and Auxiliary screens show posters related to the Primary screen in the same DisplayGroup. The Info screen currently does not pull data from the cache, so it does slow things down a bit. Of course, you can configure any number of displays and arrange them in whatever DisplayGroups you want. Each display has its own settings for displaying trailers, trivia, and motionposters. This example used all native displays, but WebView displays are also possible to add to DisplayGroups. As always, comments are welcome.

BrianBuda likes this.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I'm finally getting some time to clean up loose ends on Version 2.3 . It has taken longer than I, and I'm sure you all, would have liked. Some of you have been looking forward to running multiple screens off a single MoviePoster PC, while showing different posters on each screen. This does have some complications, but they are mostly worked out now. I just wanted to share a quick demo video to give you all an idea of what will be possible. In the demo I have 2 displayGroups configured. DisplayGroup0 has 3 screens with different functions, Primary, Info, and Auxiliary. DisplayGroup1 has a primary and an Auxiliary. The Info and Auxiliary screens show posters related to the Primary screen in the same DisplayGroup. The Info screen currently does not pull data from the cache, so it does slow things down a bit. Of course, you can configure any number of displays and arrange them in whatever DisplayGroups you want. Each display has its own settings for displaying trailers, trivia, and motionposters. This example used all native displays, but WebView displays are also possible to add to DisplayGroups. As always, comments are welcome.

https://youtu.be/0RT-DVLKnYg
@meyer64 This looks awesome! Looking forward to 2.3

Projector: Epson 5040ub Silver Ticket 135" Thin Bezel Screen
AVR: Pioneer SC-LX501 (Main)
Media Player: Roku Ultra
Speakers: 5.2 System with Martin Logan SLM XL (left, center,right)/Martin Logan SLM (surround)
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB-2000
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wow. Wow. Perfect timing. I'm building a new theater and I will incorporate this. Searching for old LCDs now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2017, 09:25 AM

I just got my machine setup and have a quick question about the settings.

I'm running Emby on my server. My posters and trailers are in individual folders on my server. The files are named poster.jpg and movie-trailer.m4v.

Is there a way to only display the trailers and posters on my server and none from the Internet for movies I don't own?

Awesome app by the way. I just sent $20.

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 02-04-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

I'm running Emby on my server. My posters and trailers are in individual folders on my server. The files are named poster.jpg and movie-trailer.m4v.

Is there a way to only display the trailers and posters on my server and none from the Internet for movies I don't own?

@Spyderturbo007 if you look at the settings, go to the sources tab and uncheck all the "get posters from " except for "Get Posters From The MoviePoster Cache" I think that should do it

Projector: Epson 5040ub Silver Ticket 135" Thin Bezel Screen
AVR: Pioneer SC-LX501 (Main)
Media Player: Roku Ultra
Speakers: 5.2 System with Martin Logan SLM XL (left, center,right)/Martin Logan SLM (surround)
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB-2000
Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBuda View Post
@Spyderturbo007 if you look at the settings, go to the sources tab and uncheck all the "get posters from " except for "Get Posters From The MoviePoster Cache" I think that should do it
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work. When I do that, it sits on the splash screen and then I get a Windows error a little while later saying that the app has crashed.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

As mentioned, going to the sources tab and unchecking everything except for "Get Posters From The MoviePoster Cache" will prevent the program from automatically downloading new posters from the internet. Currently, only the Kodi plugin supports getting posters from its media library. To do that you would enable the "Get posters from media plugin library" option in the sources tab, as well as the 'use library' and/or 'only recent' options on the Plugin Options tab. If you are using PLEX or EMBY, you'll need to manually add your posters using the cache page on the web remote. Posters will also be cached after they are played in EMBY and the 'Now Playing' screen is shown in MoviePoster. MoviePoster always caches its own copy of posters, trailers and metadata regardless of whats on your server.

As far as the app crashing when you change the source options... its hard to say. Does it start responding again if you wait a few minutes? If you enable logging and send me a log file, I'll be happy to take a look.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 26
for some reason, I'm still having some issues with trailer playback. I've enabled the display to give that icon when a trailer is available but my success rate seems to be about 50% when getting the poster to show the trailer

edit: maybe this got answered before but if you're watching a movie and it's displaying the poster for the length of the movie, what prevents burn in?

Last edited by davisnub; 02-12-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi, I got some problems with my setup. I have installed the lastest version on my server, and trying to display it using webview on a rasberry pi 3.

The problem is that my posters is not showing up in fullscreen.

my screen is vertically 90degrees but the image is not fillig the screen. (This is in Firefox) in chromium it get's alittle bit bigger, but not filling the whole screen, even at fullscreen browser view.

YAMAHA RX-A3050 7.1.4 ATMOS - DTS:X | Klipsch Referance RF82II - RC62II - RS52II - RS41II - RP-140SA | SVS PB-2000 | LG OLED E6
Old 02-21-2017, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianb View Post
Hi, I got some problems with my setup. I have installed the lastest version on my server, and trying to display it using webview on a rasberry pi 3.

The problem is that my posters is not showing up in fullscreen.

my screen is vertically 90degrees but the image is not fillig the screen. (This is in Firefox) in chromium it get's alittle bit bigger, but not filling the whole screen, even at fullscreen browser view.
What URL are you using? Did you specify the resolution in the URL?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
What URL are you using? Did you specify the resolution in the URL?
Oh, can you do that? My url is: xxx.xxx.x.xx:8082/webview.html?displayid(0)

YAMAHA RX-A3050 7.1.4 ATMOS - DTS:X | Klipsch Referance RF82II - RC62II - RS52II - RS41II - RP-140SA | SVS PB-2000 | LG OLED E6
Old 02-21-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianb View Post
Oh, can you do that? My url is: xxx.xxx.x.xx:8082/webview.html?displayid(0)

Yep, Please read through the definitive guide section on webview displays. By default, webview renders at 720p is no resolution is specified. If you're using a 1080p monitor, you'll want your URL to look like this: http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:8082/webview.html?displayid(0,1080)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.7uxczg4o0jxg
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Yep, Please read through the definitive guide section on webview displays. By default, webview renders at 720p is no resolution is specified. If you're using a 1080p monitor, you'll want your URL to look like this: http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:8082/webview.html?displayid(0,1080)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.7uxczg4o0jxg
Thank you so much! and thank you for this awsome software!

Old 02-23-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
While I am not using this yet, I will be. Thanks so much for this and it's impressive that it's over 4 years since you first posted this and you're still actively supporting it. Awesome work!

My question is how do you all deal with powering on/off the TV? I can't imagine always having to turn it on manually every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement