Best commercial pop corn maker for cinema - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I am on the market for a pop corn maker for commercial usage , preferably an 8 oz machine (we can buy 2 or 3 if needed instead of a huge one). Is Gold Metal considered the best compared to Paragon, Benchmark USA, Great Northern? Would you recommend a specific product? Money is no object as this will be used heavily so I am looking for something which is as problem-free as possible with features that can provide some amazing pop corn! smile.gif

Any advice or recommendation is more than welcome!

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Gold Medal, Paragon, Star, and Cretors are the more well known major poppers. When I was going to first purchase a popper I wanted a Gold Medal but at the time they didn't make a 4oz popper. I remember seeing this Gold Medal popper at the movies when I was a teen.

The 6oz Gold Medal popper like the one pictured above cost more than what I wanted to pay. I ended up buying a Star. I'm happy with my Star. I also liked the look of the Cretors poppers but they were sooooo expensive to me. I'm sure other folks will chime in.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the informative reply pcdoctor!

There's a few brands and quite a few models to choose from so I am a little confused on the suitability of each machine. Would all commercial pop corn makers perform equally well and make the same quality pop corn, while the taste would depend on the products used? I am most likely buying from the US and the item will be shipped to Europe so I want to make the right choice to avoid the trouble of going through a returns/refund procedure.

The machine will be used commercially to potentially make > than cinema quality pop corn smile.gif Are there any particular features I should be aware of that a machine "must" have?

Many thanks for your reply!
post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
There are a few threads on this forum that go over this. But you should be looking for:

* Old Maid Drawer- the bottom will be perforated to allow unpopped kernels (old maids) to fall through and into the drawer. This makes cleanup much easier.
* Heated Deck- keeps the popcorn warm and even allows you to keep the popcorn in the machined overnight or for a few days and heat it up. Some people on the forum have said they like the popcorn better a day or two later.
* Kettle- aluminum, stainless or non-stick. Different manufacturers make different types of kettles.

For the money and warranty I think Paragon and Gold Medal are your best bets. Paragon has a Limited Lifetime (yes Lifetime) warranty on their 4 oz machines and their machines are built like tanks. Good luck deciding and let us know if you have any other questions.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 11
We had a pretty decent conversation about popcorn poppers in this forum last summer and I definitely recommend looking for that thread.

I went with the Gold Medal 4oz machine and am still happy with the purchase but Paragon poppers are great also.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can't say enough good things about our little 4 oz Paragon popper (which we coincidentally bought from Ken). We narrowed it down between Paragon and Gold Medal. Felt that both manufacturers were top notch. The Paragon Cineplex model fit our needs best.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Great guys! Thank you the posts! They really helped a lot.

I am between a Paragon or a Benchmark USA, currently. Has anyone had any experience with Benchmark? A Benchmark USA 8oz maker is a simlar price with a 14oz Paragon. Is Benchmark a reputable brand? Is their quality or parts and build comparable with Paragon or Gold Medal?

Many thanks for your replies!
post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 AM

I own a cretors 6oz for my HT. It is the best thing I have ever owned. My kids like the popcorn more than the movies. Cretors are expensive machines but they are built in the states and you can tell. The quality of their construction is top notch. I got a great deal on mine but you can find them used for about 60% of the new price. Where are you? Valley Popcorn in Wisconsin will ship them to you and I would recommend those guys to anyone. Here is mine.

PM me if you need more info from them. I am in no way affiliated with them, just a big, big fan.

If you really love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine
post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaddict View Post

Great guys! Thank you the posts! They really helped a lot.
I am between a Paragon or a Benchmark USA, currently. Has anyone had any experience with Benchmark? A Benchmark USA 8oz maker is a simlar price with a 14oz Paragon. Is Benchmark a reputable brand? Is their quality or parts and build comparable with Paragon or Gold Medal?
Many thanks for your replies!

If I had a choice between the Paragon and the Benchmark, I'd go with the Paragon.
I don't have any experience with either popper but I'd go with the Paragon.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to go with the Paragon TP 8oz or the TP 12oz popper. I am waiting to hear on shipping quotes as shipping will be to Europe, hopefully I can find a reasonable quote. I have been looking everywhere and not many shops ship to Europe due to the size of the item so hopefully it can be sorted quick enough.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
how large of a cinema do you have? if its like the large 14 or so screen cinemas near me i'd recommend looking into getting a warmer that way you can make a whole bunch store it in large plastic bags and warm up as needed with no down time.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page