Palliser home theater chairs - Power supply to be 3' behind chair unobstructive? Does anyone do this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased a set of 9 Palliser Pacifico chairs with the LED baserail and treys. In setting up the chairs and referencing the instructions; it strongly warns to have the plug-in power supply unit located 3' behind the chair and to have all the cables, etc. away from the bottom of the chair. I don't know if it is a fire hazzard issue with the power supply generating heat or otherwise; but with two rows of seats, it is impossible to have the plug in power supplies that far away from the chair. My front row is up against the riser and about 6- inches is left between the chair and the riser/electrical plug-ins. Is this something to be concerned with? Does anyone else have this much space to leave open just for the power supply? Are the power supplies that much of an issue - I found this quite odd?

Also, the chairs have control buttons that light up when the chair is plugged into the wall. Since the chairs are always plugged-in, the LED lights are "always" on. Is this a concern? Will they eventually burn out and should one "unplug" the chairs when not in use for a period of time? Or consider somekind of remote switch option to turn them on and off?

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hmmm I would like to know this as well actually. My chairs came yesteray, and while they are not the same chairs, I went out today and bought a power strip and planned on plugging all 5 in and hiding the wires under the chairs, as well as the power strip, and then running that to the wall right next to the last chair in the row.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Interesting. I have three Palliser Brandos with the power units sitting just a few inches behind each chair. They have been that way for 7 years. Never had any problem.

David
post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 166
more a concern that the wires would be cut by the reclining mechanism and short circuit possibly causing a fire.

I've got mine tucked into small compartment in back of chair behind fabric flap with velcro. Just be sure wires are away from moving parts, not reason a step down transformer cannot be under the chair, it doesn't produce any heat to speak of.......
post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I ended up seeing mine up a few nights ago. I ran the wires behind the leg stands in the rear but it is still under the chair so it is not visible.

Then in my chair that is closest to the wall where the outlet is which is a few inches from the side of the chair, I put the power strip under an arm rest. There is a big gap under the chair where the arm rest is so it's a perfect place to tuck a power strip in. Well I didn't tuck it in, it's lying on the ground, but the chair just sits right overtop of it.

I also taped all of the wires together as I ran them together along the backs of the chairs, so that there wouldn't be any stragglers!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Reading the placement specs for any modern electronic device it like leaving reality and going into legal mumbo jumbo "protect our butts at all cost" mode. Most devices that plug into the wall for power do not meet the installation clearances and specs shown by the manufacturer.

As long as you are allowing for enough air flow to dissipate heat and are being cautious with wire placement to avoid damage from use of the equipment, you'll be fine.

Ever see one of these chairs in a furniture store with the power supply 3' out from the chair? Real selling point for sure!!!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page