Powercenters? Worth it? Need it? What do you have? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have being looking at powercenters, specfifically the Monster Monster HDP 1800 High Definition
and Panamax 4300 and was wondering when you would use sometihng like this? What do you guys use? Are these things gimics? Right now I have everything hooked up to a good powerbar with surge protection that i was able to pick up for $15 on a pricing error (I think retail is around $60).

All of these items are plugged into the same
Panasionic TCP60ST50
Onkyo htrc - 370
-Polk monitor 70's
-Polk cs20
- polk cs100
polk audio 505, 12 inch sub
Digital Box
ps3
Appletv

THanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought two of these recently and they both hum when plugged in. They are the two loudest things in my "rack" and thus I'm looking to replace them even though they are only a few months old. But they are very pretty and have cool lights and stuff. Want to buy mine? wink.gif

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
post #3 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Lights and sounds?!?!?
post #4 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have two of the Monster HTS 3600s and couldn't be more pleased with them. One for my LCD flat panel system in a first floor spare bedroom and one for my basement home theater projector system. Years ago people complained about a hum, but Monster seems to have cleared that problem up, unless you get old stock. A hum to me would indicate a problem (ground loop) in your wiring. I can tell you that neither of my power centers have a hum in them. I am a nit picky perfectionist and would know it. I bought one of my Monster's on Amazon and the other on eBay. You should be able to get something nice in the $200 range. We have very unsteady power in Michigan. I have witnessed my Monster's take my entire systems off line during both a power surge and a power brown out. They work extremely well and have saved me thousands of dollars is equipment loss and recalibration. I am not a big Monster fan as I think most of their products are overpriced for what they are. Their power centers IMHO are the one exception.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

I have two of the Monster HTS 3600s ... Years ago people complained about a hum, but Monster seems to have cleared that problem up ...A hum to me would indicate a problem (ground loop) in your wiring.

1) I too have a Monster HTS 3600 and there is no hum from that model when it is plugged into the same outlet. Nor is there a hum from my PB13 also plugged into that outlet. There isn't a ground loop in my wiring which is contrary to your supposition.

2) I ordered the Monster HDP 1800 8-Outlet Power Center with Stage 2 Clean Power (x2) from Amazon on September 3, 2012. They haven't "cleaned up" the noise problem.

As is apparent here, the Monster HTS 3600 is different from the Monster HDP 1800 and thus behavior characteristics aren't comparable.

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
post #6 of 20 Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Personally, I wouldn't get a "power center" without a battery backup on it. I get undervoltages fairly frequently, doubly so in the summer.

I have a pair of APC J10s, one for my 84" DLP, one for the two Blu-ray players (including a PS3). On occasions that we've lost power, this gave me time to do a controlled shutdown.

It's also kinda cool to be able to recharge electronic devices using the unit's battery.

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #7 of 20 Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

I use a Good computer grade UPS and a tripp-lite 15 outlet strip. Anything Monster brand is overpriced.

Plus I have my Satellite DVR, PS/3, on battery backup to prevent hard drive crash.

Check out my theater! My Theater
Here is the Arcade: The Arcade
post #8 of 20 Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 AM

I think the boutique brand "power conditioners" are questionable at best. You hear about "hum" from some of them...that's nasty.

My AC power system for my home theater system, so far:

First: "Brickwall" brand series-mode surge suppressor.
Second: Tripplite LC2400 AC Line voltage regulator.
Third: High capacity MOV surge suppressors, and one Cyberpower Pure-Sinewave AVR UPS for DLP TV and DVR.

The Brickwall uses different technology than the usual MOV surge suppressors.

When I put the Brickwall in many years ago, all of the line noise, like switch pops and such, disappeared.

If I had the extra money, I would put in a new single 20a line from my breaker box to home theater location. This is really what I need, but everything works ok as is now. If the LC2400 cut in alot, I would do that, but it does not.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 33
Any other info/opinions/experiences with the Monster HDP-1800 powercenter? I wanted to get a rack/shelf unit and caught this for 149 (half off msrp of 300) at BB. I know many people steer clear of Monster products- my opinion is that they make excellent products, but tend to overcharge for them. So, at half off retail price, is this unit worth 149?

post #10 of 20 Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Any other info/opinions/experiences with the Monster HDP-1800 powercenter? I wanted to get a rack/shelf unit and caught this for 149 (half off msrp of 300) at BB. I know many people steer clear of Monster products- my opinion is that they make excellent products, but tend to overcharge for them. So, at half off retail price, is this unit worth 149?

Got an 1800 and a 2550. The only issue I've had is if the power cycles on and off for a very short duration, the 1800 will start to emit a low pitched hum(from the unit itself). It's to do with the switched outlets, if you switch the switched outlets off the hum stops but will come back when switched on. I have to remove the plug from wall for a few seconds to alleviate problem.

The only other conditioner in your price point I would consider would be the apc variation.

Regards
post #11 of 20 Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM

I run an APC S15 pure sine wave AV UPC and conditioner. It can handle all my equipment (projector, source, AVR, and two big Adcom power amps) for over 20 mins - lots of time for a controlled shutdown. MSRP was pricey at about USD1500 but Vanns had some great promos on them a couple of years ago. I'm very satisfied with that purchase.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Hello,

I have the MonsterPower Power Center HTS2000 (power bar)

This is probably a stupid question but do I leave it turned on?
I'm wondering if it would consume power even though the electronics plugged in would be off.
Also, whether it would burn out.

I'm guessing that it must be turned on to remove noise but will be a surge protecter whether on or off.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post

...do I leave it turned on?
Most people do, unless they want to turn everything off.
Quote:
...consume power even though the electronics plugged in would be off.
Just the pilot light.
Quote:
...burn out.
Not for a long, long time.
Quote:
...surge protecter whether on or off.
The protection circuitry is still connected. But, if it is off, you aren't going to get a surge on the AC lines, so it is moot. The coax and phone protection will still work.
Baron Blood likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

I have been looking at several Monster, Belkin, and Panamax products. You can always spend a ton of money here. I ended up ordering the Monster HTS 1650 from JR.com this weekend. With their 'friends' deal, it was like $93 & free shipping and it looks to be fairly comparable to the HDP 1800. Only time will tell if the 1650 is any good...
post #15 of 20 Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM

Thank you VERY much, Colm!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM

My computer has a hair-trigger...sorry.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37

I lost my 7 year old power-bar (HT800) Friday morning. Total black-out...no light and the reset button did not help. At first I thought I must have thrown a breaker.

But it was totally dead. It served its purpose, never an issue before this and was a well spent $50 for 8 extra outlets in my unfinished basement man-cave.

I was in for a bit of a shock to find a new equilavent replacement (in Canada) was almost $100....and a few models priced even higher up to $150 !?!?

If I had shopped around I could have found something cheaper for sure but I didn't have the time or patience

when I spied a Refurb HDP 1800 Power Center for just $97 at a local store close to home (London Drugs) sitting on the bottom shelf below the expensive power strip bars.

They also had the larger HDP2500 on for just $147 (also a refurb) ,  but I didn't really need 11 outlets, 8 is good enough for me (for now)

a quick google showed the HDP1800 retails locally for $350+ at Futureshop. So I snapped it up for $97 before someone else did.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/monster-high-definition-power-center-hdp-1800/10120279.aspx?path=fc68f022d96cdca02d23343e10b4acd9en02

Normally not a fan of Monster products but at "that price" with full warranty it was a no-brainer over another power strip.

Pretty cool that they offer 5 year $350k warranty on all connected equipment.

Love the blue lights and the 4 stage dimmer/off button if I get tired of looking at them.

Slid it right into a narrow slot with the rest of my gear and looks/works great, no humming so far, tested all weekend long.

I think I'm heading back go pick up that HDP 2500 now too, $147 is a steal and tomorrow is payday

then move the HDP 1800 to the back of my room for my projector (that's currently un-protected ), rear sub, lap-top, two lamps and my power recliners.

19 protected outlets for under $250 cant be such a bad thing wink.gif

If they dont make any noise (humming) they are both keepers. If they do within a year they'll go back for a full refund = nothing to lose.

I suspect that these were very new when returned un-blemished and they fixed the hum issues any early models may of had.

51IQd9Bt4dL._SL1400_.jpg

51ngBWUzt5L._SL1400_.jpg

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #18 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

I lost my 7 year old power-bar (HT800) Friday morning. Total black-out...no light and the reset button did not help. At first I thought I must have thrown a breaker.
But it was totally dead. It served its purpose, never an issue before this and was a well spent $50 for 8 extra outlets in my unfinished basement man-cave.

I was in for a bit of a shock to find a new equilavent replacement (in Canada) was almost $100....and a few models priced even higher up to $150 !?!?
If I had shopped around I could have found something cheaper for sure but I didn't have the time or patience
when I spied a Refurb HDP 1800 Power Center for just $97 at a local store close to home (London Drugs) sitting on the bottom shelf below the expensive power strip bars.
They also had the larger HDP2500 on for just $147 (also a refurb) ,  but I didn't really need 11 outlets, 8 is good enough for me (for now)

a quick google showed the HDP1800 retails locally for $350+ at Futureshop. So I snapped it up for $97 before someone else did.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/monster-high-definition-power-center-hdp-1800/10120279.aspx?path=fc68f022d96cdca02d23343e10b4acd9en02

Normally not a fan of Monster products but at "that price" with full warranty it was a no-brainer over another power strip.
Pretty cool that they offer 5 year $350k warranty on all connected equipment.
Love the blue lights and the 4 stage dimmer/off button if I get tired of looking at them.

Slid it right into a narrow slot with the rest of my gear and looks/works great, no humming so far, tested all weekend long.

I think I'm heading back go pick up that HDP 2500 now too, $147 is a steal and tomorrow is payday
then move the HDP 1800 to the back of my room for my projector (that's currently un-protected ), rear sub, lap-top, two lamps and my power recliners.

19 protected outlets for under $250 cant be such a bad thing wink.gif
If they dont make any noise (humming) they are both keepers. If they do within a year they'll go back for a full refund = nothing to lose.
I suspect that these were very new when returned un-blemished and they fixed the hum issues any early models may of had.
51IQd9Bt4dL._SL1400_.jpg

51ngBWUzt5L._SL1400_.jpg

equipment plugged into it.

My ONLY complaint is that out of the box, the dimmer button feels like your pressing a broken microwave button (if anyone has experienced that)... just seems like sometimes it works easily, but other times you've got to put some muscle into it. I returned one for another because it bothered me, but the new one was no better. Good thing that I don't plan on using the dimmer button much, so not going to worry about it.

Please post a follow up if you notice the same issue and/or have any other input!

post #19 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem with the dimmer on mine once I figured out it has a slight delay

you just have to hold it in for half a second then release, the "dim" doesn't take effect until you let go though.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #20 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Update:

Got the HDP 2500 for $149 and installed it, Retail in Canada on this unit was $500 !?! insane.

http://www.amazon.ca/Monster-MP-HDP-2500-PowerCenter/dp/B001D8J9JQ

and I moved the HDP 1800 to the rear like I planned...Totally Happy!

Both units are completely silent from my seat,

The loudest components in my system by FAR are my PS3, XBOX 360,Motorola HD PVR and my Epson projector

My Toshiba HD DVD and Sony BDPS5100 are nearly totally silent,and comparable to the new HDP power centers.

Dimmer Fully engaged (display lights off)

HDP 1800 sitting on my rear 15" Sub behind my center seat.

My laptop sitting ontop plugged in and charging... switched outlets control my side lamps from my seat now

My First Home Theater
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page