Audio Shelving unit - Specific measurements - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Hopefully this is the right place to post. I'm not looking for you guys to find something for me, but I'm looking for help on HOW to find it.

Here's my situation:
I'm trying to assemble a little bit of a home theatre system (for the first time) in a new house, and I've just purchased all the components. The issue now, however, is where to put them. I'd need a place for a receiver, subwoofer, set top box, xbox, and similar things. I have a corner in which to put them all, but I'm having a LOT of trouble finding a unit that will fit in there. I know I could go the custom shelving route, but the quotes that I've seen so far are about $500, and I'm hoping to save a bit of money . Also, I'd do it myself, but I'm not that handy.

So, here's the room:

(pardon the mess)

So, as you can see, the coax is fed from the back wall, and I have a hole in the drywall beside the fireplace feeding my HDMI cable to my TV. That table would be gone. I'm looking for a shelving unit (or TV stand) that will fit in that gap. It needs to have accessibility for the cables behind.

Here's the issue:
I need it to be 15" deep (or less), 39.5" wide, and less than 48" high.

I've looked EVERYWHERE - ebay, amazon, kijiji (I'm in Canada), bestbuy, furniture stores, electronics stores. The stuff I've found that fits the bill are usually TV stands, but they're mostly 42" wide, which is slightly too big. I need to find a way to google for units by dimensions or something. Does anyone have any idea how I can search for stuff like this, or perhaps, what kind of item I should be looking for. I've been searching as "entertainment units", "tv stands", "audio stands", "audio racks", "entertainment stands", etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Have you tried IKEA? they post full dimensions in their descriptions

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/

Even if you cant find exactly what you need, its cheap enough to hack into any size/shape you need.

...in fact, there's an entire website dedicated to ikea hackers full of ideas for the entire home:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/

I posted some pics of mine along with a few others in this thread too: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1371699/

Tyler Leary likes this.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Try Salamander.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
PioManiac, that ikeahackers site might be a great idea. Especially with some of the detailed directions on some of those projects, even I can do some of those tweaks. Much appreciated!

Kensmith, Salamander stuff looks great, though a bit expensive for me. Tons of stuff there, maybe I'll go that route when it's time for an upgrade.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
15" depth is going to rule out most, if not all, furniture made specifically for audio gear. "Audio tower" is probably the best term for searching after "audio rack".

Depending on what you're looking for, some Metro shelving pieces could be assembled to fit that space, but that may not be an appropriate look for the room...

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/shelving/interMetroreg?N=13370

A small, sturdy bookcase with some holes cut in the back to allow for cable egress is another possibility.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page