Salamander vs. BDI vs. Furnitech - Fight! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you like the best and where are the cheapest prices? I need a stand for a large tv, center channel speaker, three amps, processor, cable box and bluray player.

I found a BDI Avion Series 2 model 8927 for 1450 with curbside shipping. Is this a good price?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a BDI rack that I used for 18 months, the quality seems very good to me. I’d still be using it if it would fit in my current design; I’ll be building my own rack.

I sourced mine from craigslist.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #3 of 17 Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That is a good plan but being married, I need to buy a piece of furniture as the theater is also the living room. I just learned that furnitech, which is much cheaper than the competition, can be seen at Walmarts. I will check them out htis weekend and report back. Rumor has it that thier quality is top notch.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
post #4 of 17 Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
BDI makes the tv stand i want but it costs almost double in Canada
post #5 of 17 Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Salamander here!
What did you end up going with tedcousens?
A few things to keep in mind with our products
One is that they are handbuilt in the USA out of real wood, MDF (for rigidity and vibration dampening) and extruded aluminum. You may pay a little more but if you do enough searching around the internet you will see that most people love their cabinets from us and use them for years and years.
Two, some of our furniture (Synergy) is completely modular so when your needs change so can the furniture with the purchase of a couple parts you can make an entirely new stand.
Three, our very popular Chameleon line is very "wife friendly" with 9 styles to choose from, they look more like furniture but are designed with equipment storage in mind.
Four, no other furniture manufacturer that I know of offers more accessories to enhance the usability of the stand with your equipment than us. Whether it's the pull out shelf for a turntable or media server or the extended rear panels with or without active cooling, We even have a power conditioner mounting kit to mount a power conditioner on the back of the stand instead of it being in the way on the floor or inside your cabinet.

There are many other reasons but check them out yourself at a local audio store near you and see for yourself.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM

I'm researching now but have found only one solution that fits my own needs. I prefer to have a few options.

Gear:
TV: 55" diagonal, ~80 lbs
Receiver: 17.13w x 7.28h x 17.36d", 33 lbs.
Center Channel: 20.5w x 7.5h x 13.5d”, 30 lbs.
Additional gear that I'm sure will fit with little problem: Oppo 93, DVR, Mac mini, Apple TV, X-Box 360.

The apparent trouble is that I'm looking for a unit that's about 52" wide. Better still something that can work in a living room corner. I was (naïvely) hoping to keep the cost at or south of $1,000, but it seems $1500-$2200 is more realistic.

Thus far, BDI's Novia 8421 seems about perfect, but I don't like buying the ONLY thing I can find and that's the case at this point. I haven't seen this particular BDI unit in person but saw another model in-store, so that helps me feel better about the quality. I'm uncomfortable spending this kind of money based on Internet images and reviews on merchant sites since physical limitations make potential disassembly, re-boxing and returning very troublesome.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 PM

I'm new to this game and haven't seen any Salamander stands but just this week I put my trust into a BDI stand and I couldn't be happier! The quality of the packaging and the way it went together (only had to put the feet on) were by far some of the best I've seen. I was scared to buy online, sight unseen, as well and luckily found some BDI gear at a local shop so I could check out the quality. It's well vented, well made and looks great, so all in all I'm very happy with it.....oh and the wife loves it! BONUS

post #8 of 17 Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM

+1 for BDI. Beautiful and well crafted.

My Media Room (Basement)
post #9 of 17 Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM

I purchased a Furnitech FT61SCCC shaker styled corner unit last year and I couldn't be happier.

The craftsmanship was nothing short of outstanding, the finish is far more brilliant than the advertisements suggest, and the cabinet easily supports my 60" flat screen. More than adequate storage for DVD's and my children's X-Box

It was also the best by far value for a corner until that I could find and the $1,000 price tag was about 1/2 of what I expected. I truly is worth twice that amount
post #10 of 17 Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Thanks, all!

I've found some less expensive alternatives, but until that Furnitech FT61SCCC (though the finish is darker than I'd like), I haven't had much faith in them. While I like the BDI, it simply eats too much of my budget. I'll keep checking here but will probably pull the trigger within a week.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 PM

I was comparing these exact same companies and I found that the price ranges for Salamander and BDI were simply much higher than I wanted to go. I had gone to the stores and they definitely have some great looking units with some fancy design features. I kept turning my head to furnitech though, because their prices were so much lower for a comparable cabinet. Take a look at this beauty: http://www.furnitech.com/ft72cc.html I ended up going with the Wenge finish. Then I found this nice little video of the construction process and I was colored impressed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pAyNUAEhN4 They use all hard wood and you can tell just by looking at the weights of them.

I went forward with ordering through a less popular website because it had the best price. Turned out that the item was actually on back-order..so a direct correspondent named Eric Shupak decided to call me and told me they were all sold out of that item and they would be receiving new units in a month. I told him no problem I'll just wait till then. I told him I had spent a long time shopping around for a good tv console and I had considered BDI and Salamander as well and he was delighted to know that I had gone forward with Furnitech. We had a terrific and sincere conversation and I would invite any of you who are up in the air on their decision to give him a call yourself because I could not believe just how dedicated he felt about the quality of their products and he was even able to set up an order directly with me with to-the-room delivery for a crazy awesome price.

The prices are simply that low because they only do internet direct sales, no B&M's. Obviously this can be a deal breaker for many since you won't be able to see the unit up close, and I was worried about it too, but I am confident that the quality will not only meet, it will beat your expectations.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
Apologies for brining an older thread back to life. I have been researching for a new AV cabinet for a few weeks. Came across this thread and checked out Furnitech but it's not an option for me as I am looking specifically for a TWIN configuration which they do not have.
My needs:
  • My TV is mounted on the front wall and will NOT go on top of this cabinet.
  • Only AV comps will sit in this cabinet which will sit in a 48" wide niche in the left wall.
  • I need space for 10 standard-width (~17") AV components. 4 of those components are amps. Total weight of all comps is likely north of 400 lbs. So flimsy glass shelves are out.
  • I need wheels so I can pull the cabinet out of the niche for cable management.
  • WAF will be high if the cabinet is furniture grade and real wood as it will sit in the family/media room. Cherry/Black combo is ideal. All black will work as well.
  • WAF will be high if there are doors and sides (as opposed to open config).
  • 4 amps generate much heat, so perforated sides/doors will be welcome.
  • Don't need fancy lighting, cooling, power cond etc.

I keep coming back to a Salamander Synergy Twin S40 - their 5 shelve 41" high cabinet. Its expensive but covers all my needs.
I could not find a single review online for their 40 series. There were plenty of reviews for the 10/20/30 series.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or guidance/feedback on the above Salamander config?
Thanks in advance.

Front L/R: Magnepan 1.7 + Emotiva Ultra-10 Sub + Emotiva XPA-1
Front Center: Magnepan CC5 + Emotiva XPA-100
Surrounds: Magnepan MMGW + Yamaha HTR-5250
Sub: SVS PC-13 Ultra
PrePro: Integra DHC-9.9
TV: Samsung UN75F6300
Source: Win7 MCE / Xbox 360 / Fisher TT MT-864
Power Cond: APC H15BLK
post #13 of 17 Old 12-14-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerman72 View Post

I'm new to this game and haven't seen any Salamander stands but just this week I put my trust into a BDI stand and I couldn't be happier! The quality of the packaging and the way it went together (only had to put the feet on) were by far some of the best I've seen. I was scared to buy online, sight unseen, as well and luckily found some BDI gear at a local shop so I could check out the quality. It's well vented, well made and looks great, so all in all I'm very happy with it.....oh and the wife loves it! BONUS

Lagerman72,

Do you still like your BDI Ola stand? I bought the same stand today and I'm curious about the quality? Thanks.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #14 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 AM

We absolutely love it. Quality is top notch and it still looks great!

post #15 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerman72 View Post

We absolutely love it. Quality is top notch and it still looks great!

Good to hear...mine will be delivered Saturday along with my new Panasonic VT60. Thanks

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #16 of 17 Old 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

I have been using a BDI Avion in our living room for about 8 years now and love it. Still looks brand new and the cherry finish matches the polks perfectly. A couple years ago I picked up a BDI Valera 9729 for my study and it is also of unmatched quality and the price was not too bad either. I bought that one from Crutchfield. The Avion I bought from a B&M store. Very nice stuff. I cannot speak for the Salamander stuff, but it also looks nice. I can say though in my opinion the BDI stuff appears to be a bit more elegant looking. It just depends on the look you want.

President and active member of the A.D.F.F. (Anti-Dakota Fanning Foundation)
post #17 of 17 Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Liked: 17
I have a Salamander Synergy Triple wide and a Double wide. Both 31" in height. I am VERY pleased with the strength, durability, quality and appearance of these. Yes, they are not cheap. But, I feel I got what I paid for. If I were doing it over, I still would buy these in a flash. Just my $.02.
Salamander Jim likes this.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page