looking for very specific movie sign light bulbs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so when i was 17 i worked at blockbuster video and one night they were throwing out a big movie poster display box so i took it home. for the last 13 or so years it's been sitting up in my parents' attic until i took it home today. i want to fix it up, but there are these little light bulbs that i can't figure out how/where to buy. like 9/10ths of them are burned out, so no matter what else i do it's not gonna look nice unless i replace them. the box itself was probably made specifically for blockbuster and there's no distinguishing markings on there (manufacturer etc). the bulbs only say "forelite 12" on them, but google has given me nothing on that, even searching specialty light bulb sites. i've also tried to google variants of "blockbuster movie lightbox" just to get more info, but have found nothing on that either. so like, what can i do to find/buy some of these bulbs? here's a picture for reference (i'm talking about those little lights that surround the poster, not the back lighting):

if anyone has any clue where i can go from here, i'd appreciate it. and yes all the posters i had were also from when i was in high school so it's all horror movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
They're probably commonly available bayonet bulbs. Take one out and post a picture of it. Then check 1000bulbs.com and see if they've got it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

here's a picture (with a dime for scale):

i don't see anything on that site that looks like this. they're some kind of wire base bulbs, with two little exposed wires on the bottom to complete the circuit (like most christmas lights, but smaller and a different shape)
post #4 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

and i mean i don't need to find the exact same bulbs. if i could find something that would work and also look ok i would just replace all of them. and i also don't expect anyone to just find me exactly what i'm looking for (though that would be sweet!), but just to kind of point me in the right direction of how i could possibly find something
post #5 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, well, you stumped me... Never seen one like that!!! You might try emailing that image to some bulb sellers to see if they can identify it.

And that's one piece, correct? The bulb doesn't come out of that plastic assembly?

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
It may be helpful to know if these lamps are 120v or a low voltage lamp. Measure the voltage with a VOM or if you can remove the back and follow the wiring to see if there is a step down transformer in the circuit.

Doug

post #7 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

How about this
http://www.bulbtown.com/LM1012WB_W_LED_MINIATURE_BULB_WEDGE_BASE_p/lm1012wb-w.htm

Doug

post #8 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

that's definitely the closest i've seen and actually looks like it might work, but it's impossible to tell from that photo. like, the picture looks like that one might flatten out at the bottom (like many similar Christmas bulb lights do) and the one i'm looking for has a round bottom. but maybe i can contact the seller and get more info, because like i said it does look like it might work and that's better than anything i've found so far. thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

eek.gifeek.gif But at $13 each (times ~88 lamps) if that LED replacement is your only option you should just buy a nice new frame from Stargate...

Theater build photos:

post #10 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxeldermo View Post

that's definitely the closest i've seen and actually looks like it might work, but it's impossible to tell from that photo. like, the picture looks like that one might flatten out at the bottom (like many similar Christmas bulb lights do) and the one i'm looking for has a round bottom. but maybe i can contact the seller and get more info, because like i said it does look like it might work and that's better than anything i've found so far. thanks

You still have to figure out what voltage is being sent to the lamps .. that is a 12v, what's the voltage your sign is delivering to the lamps?

Doug

post #11 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

i assume it's 12v because the bulbs say "forelite 12" on them
post #12 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxeldermo View Post

i assume it's 12v because the bulbs say "forelite 12" on them

Would be a reasonable guess but a VOM would be more exact and safer

Doug

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page