DIY Snack Bar with IKEA Kitchen Cabinets! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

Not Sure if everyone has already seen this but this is an excellent idea for creating a nice looking Snack Bar in your Home theater room.

These cabinets offer the "Soft Close" function as well and do not seem cheap to use for this purpose...

All the credit goes to the people that did their own re-model in their bonus room, but this has inspired me to do the same thing for a snack bar...

Not sure if I will go granite slab, but may do Granite tiles instead as I think they may cost less....

You just take 2 Ikea Kitchen Base cabinets, and mount them to the studs and place a 15" mini fridge in-between them and then purchase whatever wood tone cabinet doors you want on them...IKEA also has base trim pieces for that finished look...

Looks really nice and I am guessing this would be alot less than a custom cabinet???

Here is a link to the site that shows this:

http://www.ratemyfavoritespaces.com/

What I like best about this solution is that I will now have a place for garbage and recycling that is out of the way while having people over etc..

Here is a link to the cabinets:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59869673/#/S09878142

Would love to know if anyone has done something similiar to this and can offer any suggestions, tips etc...

Thanks,

User7007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome idea.

I've looked at ikea cabinets but haven't been willing to pull the trigger because I didn't know how they would work out.

Just as an FYI, I got two local cabinet places to quote me a similar bar area. They both came back between $1750-$2200 for the cabinets (no install).

At a quick glance, the ikea cabinets will run me $900.

I'm going to mull it over for the weekend and likely pull the trigger with ikea. I will let you know how it goes when I'm done.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM

I used IKEA cabinets to build a wet bar in my home theater room. I too had some sticker shock when I looked at more traditional cabinets ($4000+). My IKEA set up cost around $1,500. For a countertop, I went with stainless steel. I built up the plywood substrate, cut out the hole for the sink, took very careful measurements, and had a guy I've worked with before on our kitchen remodel fabricate it (with an integrated sink). It's really sharp (but cost about $700). A neighbor who is a wholesale plumping sales rep gave me the display model of a Hans Grohe bar sink that had been discontinued.

I'll post some pictures when I get home after work today. This was my first time installing IKEA cabinets and things went really really smoothly. Note that the IKEA stuff is all laminated. So if you're going to be using these in a super high traffic area where they will get lots of abuse (especially with kids), that's something to keep in mind as dings might really show (I haven't had any trouble like that - knock on wood).

One note: I didn't trust the IKEA legs to standup to the weight of the cabinets plus 1.5" of plywood plus the steel plus whatever gets put on the countertop. So I just built a base from 2x6 dimensional lumber and glued the toe kick boards onto the 2x6s. I would seriously consider going this route if you're thinking about putting something like 3cm granite on top.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Here's a picture. I still need to do the trim around the doors and some along the slate floor. We're also going to tile the entire backsplash (i.e. everything in between the steel and the upper cabinets) with multicolored 1" x 2" glass subway tile.

If you're going with a much smaller snack bar, your choice of tops is pretty much unlimited and you can get kind of creative. You could do a pounded copper top, soapstone, or an oiled wood (like a butcher block).

post #5 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg99 View Post

Here's a picture. I still need to do the trim around the doors and some along the slate floor. We're also going to tile the entire backsplash (i.e. everything in between the steel and the upper cabinets) with multicolored 1" x 2" glass subway tile.

If you're going with a much smaller snack bar, your choice of tops is pretty much unlimited and you can get kind of creative. You could do a pounded copper top, soapstone, or an oiled wood (like a butcher block).

Your set up looks great.

I will be ordering my ikea cabinets tonight. I will post pics when it's done but the door fronts are on backorder for 4-5 weeks so it'll be a while.

Did you have any concerns about putting your free-standing mini-fridge beside the cabinetry? I know most mini-fridges state 2-5 inches on each side and on the top (unless it's a "built-in" style fridge). I plan on doing the same thing as your setup but just wanted to see if you have any thoughts on it. How much space do you have on each side?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM

To be honest, I never even thought about the spacing around the fridge other than the need for flexibility for different models. I looked up about a dozen competitive models, wrote down the largest sizes and added a couple of inches to determine the ultimate opening size. With that fridge, I have 2" on each side and about 2.5" on the top. I haven't had any troubles yet and cannot detect any noticeably warm air wafting up from the back of the fridge. If you make a custom base and countertop like I did, you have pretty much whatever room you want for opening size.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page