Uninterruptible Power Supply - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tried browsing and searching through the forums for this, so if I missed it I apologize. I'm looking for UPS recommendations - particularly, I'd like to hear about any issues people have had with any UPS's that I should avoid. Or am I over-thinking this and a UPS is a UPS?

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm looking at a UPS for a home theatre with a receiver, 2 amps, 2 subs, PS3 and projector.

brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 225
A UPS (uninterruptable power supply) is certainly necessary in a home theater. A must for anything with a HDD (but no internal battery of its own) like a DVR. Also good for the PJ so the bulb can cool off in a power outage. Not sure why you'd want to use it for a PS3 or a receiver unless your area is prone to shortie glitches, then it would make sense. And for power amps/subs, don't bother.

Once you decide the power load needed, then how long a duration you need (might just be a few minutes like for the PJ), then you can look at UPS units in the appropriate range.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Took me a minute to realize why you wrote out "uninterruptible power supply" - not sure why I wrote universal, I'll have to edit that.

I live in the boonies, so power can be iffie. I'll be honest, my biggest concern is actually the occasional firmware upgrades. My home theatre room is relatively cool, so the projector rarely needs to cool down for any longer than it takes to shut down so that's not a big concern for me. That being said, the PS3 does have a HDD and I've run into issues with it "not shutting down properly" in the past - it's never caused any HDD problems, but I'd prefer not to take that chance.

So, I'll restate my question now that I've provided a bit more information. Are there any recommendations given my situation? As I said, reliable power is a problem and small outages are frequent. The UPS would likely only be needed a few minutes, but to be safe I'd like to be capable of running off it up to about 15 minutes.

Brad

post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeetboy View Post

Took me a minute to realize why you wrote out "uninterruptible power supply" - not sure why I wrote universal, I'll have to edit that.
When I do this I call it a brain fart. YMMV. tongue.gif

Quote:
I live in the boonies, so power can be iffie. I'll be honest, my biggest concern is actually the occasional firmware upgrades.

My home theatre room is relatively cool, so the projector rarely needs to cool down for any longer than it takes to shut down so that's not a big concern for me.
The issue is that if the power fails, there is no fan blowing on the bulb. It will cool down, same as if you just pulled the plug while in use, but the manufacturer usually says to allow the fan to run after the bulb is turned off. That is better for the life of the bulb. This is a rare issue, I suppose, and not one that short (~1 sec) glitches will affect. But that short glitch will mess with your FW updates.

Quote:
That being said, the PS3 does have a HDD and I've run into issues with it "not shutting down properly" in the past - it's never caused any HDD problems, but I'd prefer not to take that chance.
Exactly. I have lost 2 HDDs in DVRs until I figured out to connect them to this UPS.

Quote:
So, I'll restate my question now that I've provided a bit more information. Are there any recommendations given my situation? As I said, reliable power is a problem and small outages are frequent. The UPS would likely only be needed a few minutes, but to be safe I'd like to be capable of running off it up to about 15 minutes.
Start with the simple/effective units. The APC units come in a wide range of capacities. There are a whole lot of options out there.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A now old story:

Posts on AVSf and APC FAQs indicated that the fan on at least some models of SmartUPS only run under certain circumstances. I e-mailed their customer support and based on their reply that the fan would only be running under certain, rare, conditions I ordered a SMT2200, the 2200VA model in the LCD line. In fact the fan runs all the time. This is normal per their response to a second e-mail on the subject where they assure me the unit is operating normally. It is a relatively quiet fan but it is a long way from silent. I would not have it in the same room as I watch and listen.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM

My APC S15 UPS/conditioner runs silent and is able to run a very similar setup for over 20 mins on battery. One thing to consider for projector is how fast the battery kicks in - if i remember correctly the delay in many computer UPSs was too long.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1000G
I have 2 of those, one with the desktop PC, monitor and FIOS Router
Second one in the living room with the Projector, HD STB and reciever on it.
Third older smaller UPS for the FOIS ONT in the basement.
This UP makes no noise when it is idle and very little when it is operating.
Figure out your load requirements to pick the size you need. I 30 minutes on the first one and about 18 minutes of run time on the second one.
This unit has 3 choices for sensitivity and the default (center) works fine with the projector and all other equipment.
Hope that helps.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page