Palliser HT Seating - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Wwe are looking to buy a row of 3 seats for our basement home theatre. One local store had a decent selection of HT seating from Palliser and El Ran, and out of his selection I really liked the comfort of the Palliser Media.

Another store has significantly better pricing on Palliser, but they have found that the Media is "exclusive" to the one store in this market. Can anyone (who's actually tried the seats) advise on any other Palliser models that "sit" similarly? I do like the storage and tray table option offered by the Media, but they are not critical.

Thanks in advance!

orange260z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Ended up making a deal on the Media, 3 seat curved, all power recline, 3000 grade full leather, tray tables, mss cupholders and feet. No leds. 6-8 weeks to delivery.... I can't wait!!!
post #3 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well done. We just took the leap on the Palliser Stereo chairs, back row |0V0V0| and front row |0V00V0|. Can't wait either.|
post #4 of 25 Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 AM

Brutal, chairs were scheduled for delivery this week, just got a call and they won't come in until June. Palliser ran out of the Tobacco leather. This despite confirming the leather was in stock the week we ordered the chairs. What a headache.mad.gif
post #5 of 25 Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM

I was looking at the specs for these chairs. Is the reclined depth 40 inches?

The Entertainment Cave II coming soon.

post #6 of 25 Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
No, the 40" is the upright dimension. Most chairs will be between 65 and 71" when fully reclined. You will not find a recliner at 40". Hope this helps.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #7 of 25 Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

So, here's an update. I received my chairs at the end of March. They looked great, sat great... but they weren't what we ordered. They came with bonded sides and back, likely a mistake in the store's ordering.

Do the replacements arrived yesterday... missing the tray table mounts we ordered. My guess is that the store figured we already have the trays, so didn't order on the second set, but Palliser didn't install mounts since there were no tray tables!

The saga continues...
post #8 of 25 Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM

We just received our Palliser Media HT chairs. Did anyone else have an issue with the touch screen button for the recliner on any of their Palliser HT seating? Ours is bonkers. It will raise up when you didn't even touch the button and won't go down all of the time. It acts as if it's confused. Both of the chairs are doing this. I guess I will call the company in which I bought the seating tomorrow. Hopefully it will be an easy fix over the phone but I'm just not so sure about power reclining anymore!
post #9 of 25 Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 21
We just received our Palliser Elite Power Recline Loveseat from Stargate Cinema yesterday......

We are impressed, used it last night for a couple of hours and looking forward to the weekend on them.

Everything so far seems fine.

Dave was a pleasure to deal with and the customer service was exceptional!
post #10 of 25 Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM

@majek60, now that you've had your Elite's a for a couple of weeks, how do they feel? I'm thinking about buying them, but there's no way to try before you buy.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 21
Ward 459,

We like them a lot.

They are not soft and fluffy, but supportive and comfortable. I sit in the middle of the love seat when I am watching/listening alone in the HT Room and I am comfortable also in this position.

I always ask my wife if she is satisfied with them and she says "absolutely".

We were in the same situation as you, How do you spend big bucks on something without testing them. Dave at Stargate Cinema spent a lot of time with me on the phone discussing our size and weight, this help me with the decision to go with the Elite!

Let us know what you end up with.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks majek, I'll let you know. I'm leaning toward the Elite, but needed some help getting over the emotional hurdle of spending so much money on a "feely" thing that I can't feel first. I did speak with Dave, and he is helpful. Thx again.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Liked: 11
Get the Rhumba

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
post #14 of 25 Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 PM

I just ordered three leather match Elites from StargateCinema. Oddly enough I just found a local store in Montgomery Alabama of all places that had about 30 Palliser chairs in stock, in different styles and coverings. So I got to see them even if a bit late in the game.

I came away totally impressed with the quality of the chairs. Very sturdy pieces. He had the Media, Rhumba, Pacifico, and several others. He also carried some higher end brands that were significantly more expensive than the Pallisers.

Yes, you could tell the difference. Was it worth the price increase? Not to me, a normal Joe with a wife and kids and mortgage.

I can't speak for the Lanes or RowOnes but I was pretty much blown away by the quality of Pallisers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the bonded leather versions, at least at whatever grade of bonded leather he had on display. This is not the stuff found on 100 dollar computer chairs from Costco. It feels very substantial, has a nice "hand", and the matte finish is good looking.

If anybody is on the fence about ordering online, do a little digging closer to home. You might just find a gem of a local shop close to you. If I hadn't just ordered these chairs a few hours earlier from Stargate, I would have no hesitation about ordering from these folks.

Anyway, StargateCinema and Ken are nothing but a pleasure to work with. His reputation on here is well deserved. It's going to be a long of couple of weeks until I can get these chairs delivered, I'm like a kid at Christmas.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Got our chairs in a month ago. Worth the wait. They are comfortable and look great.

We did an exhaustive amount of measuring and research to get exactly the right fit for the room. Made scale drawings, the whole bit. We ended up going with two curved rows. So glad we finally decided to use the curves, because it makes viewing from the off center seats effortless. Biggest difference it makes is for the far right and far left seats in the front row. Having to turn the head from that close a position would have been tiring. With the curve, they are premium seats.

Obviously, selecting a curved row means you eat up a few extra inches of side to side and front to back space in your room, when compared to an identical row of chairs in the straight line configuration. Most of us are sort of fighting for space in our HTS rooms, or at least don't have a bunch of extra to give away. My two cents, having gone OCD on the planning and having now seen the finished result, is that the curve is so worth the extra inches. We picked very slightly smaller chairs to make it all work, and that trade off was the best decision we made. The smaller chairs are still huge. I think the curved configuration will be hugely value-added in many HTS rooms. It definitely is in ours. I'd encourage you to really consider it if you are analyzing a seating decision in your HTS, and are mining down into the details on exactly what fits in your space.

A terrific value overall, and Palliser's local dealer did a solid job representing the company. We had to do a ton of work on our own to get the exact right chairs picked out, but only because we are nuts about stuff like that.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked: 17
mogrub - can you comment on your viewing angle when the chair is in full recline? do you have a comfortable view to the screen?
post #17 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post

mogrub - can you comment on your viewing angle when the chair is in full recline? do you have a comfortable view to the screen?
Yes I can. In fact, just wrote a long answer that my iPhone ate. Will try again tomorrow! 👍
post #18 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 PM

We ended up buying several leather match Elites from Stargate Cinema. They were delivered in 4 weeks, as expected. And they are exactly what I hoped to receive. They are not super cushy, which I could tell from the photos, but they are very comfortable, and padded well enough. I can't tell the difference between the real leather and the phony leather (I bought black if that matters). I don't have any complaints about Palliser or Stargate, just one happy customer.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 AM

One thing I forgot to note is that my wife is 5'2", and when she sits with her back flush to the back of the seat, her feet don't touch the floor. We'll probably have to put a pillow behind her.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:Originally Posted by dsteak 

The short answer is yes, extremely comfortable in full recline. Head is in a great position for viewing.

For me, "full recline" is probably at about 95% of what the chair can do. There is an additional bit of recline available that seems more of a sleep position than anything else.

You've probably sat in, and operated, Palliser chairs, but it's worth mentioning for others that the lower cushion (i.e., leg support) and upper cushion (i.e., back support) are not designed to operate in exact parallel with each other.

In other words, when you trigger the recline button from the full upright starting position, the first thing that happens is the leg support elevates. The back doesn't move much at all during those first few seconds. That lets you raise and support your legs without having to recline very much at all.

Continued triggering of the switch progressively lowers the back without much change in leg position, since those are already pretty much up. Since all you're really doing at this stage is controlling how much additional recline you want, you get to pick how far back to go, based on how tall you are, how high your screen is positioned, etc, without having to sacrifice leg support to do it.

Those comments are all in reference to Palliser power recline chairs. Initially I wanted manual, non-powered recliners. I figured the power recline wasn't necessary, would cost more, and most of all, would be more likely to break.

What changed my mind was learning that the vast majority of manually operated chairs will not lock into the fixed position of your choice. Most only come to stable rest in the full up and full recline positions. That was the end of my manual chair search. I figured we'd want to be able to bring the chair to rest in a variety of positions, not just two. You can stop manual chairs wherever you choose, it's just not locked and stable. With the power chair, it is locked and stable wherever you come to rest. Big difference.

That detail is important given your original question. Being able to stop wherever you want makes it much more likely that you can easily come to rest at an angle that allows for comfortable viewing, regardless of how tall you are and/or how high (or low) your screen is positioned.

Obviously, it's useful to test drive chairs in person whenever possible.

Sorry for the long answer to your short question. Now I'm late getting out of here.

Last edited by mogrub; 06-25-2014 at 06:36 AM.
post #21 of 25 Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 AM

cannot recommend palliser based on my horrible experience with them and their reps.........

i have many compliants about palliser and their reps and dealers.... i ordered 4 palliser home theatre seats with all the options including buttkicker system and LED cup holders and 3000 grade leather... it cost me around $10,000 CDN dollars ... the problems... where to start... first. ordered it early april 2013 and they finally received it mid september 2013..... they said that they ran out of black leather.... how can a firm like this run out of leather?...... LED cup holdersdo not work in one of the chair and some of the chairs were very sweaky to the point that it annoys you to sit in it.... also, the overall workmanship on the seams and leather does not look nearly as good as my stressless sofa ..... also, the buttkicker system does not work because the parts were not shipped and i think there are missing parts too... also they forgot the accessories that we order with it too.... tables and tablet holders......the point is that after paying in full over a month ago none of these problems have been fixed... based on my experience i could not recommend palliser home theatre chairs at all... nor can i recommend their national wholesale organization.... also, they could not care less...
post #22 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Long overdue update -

So finally. in early June we received the correct set. To make up for all of the confusion and hassle, our dealer arranged to get the bass shaker system installed in all three seats at no extra cost.

Almost 6 months later, the chairs are working great and are very comfortable. I'd say that my only comfort related complaint is that the chairs are very wide, so the armrests are a little far apart. I'm a big guy with wide shoulders and a 48" chest, but I still find myself shoving a small cushion on each side of me for extended viewing comfort. This would be exaggerated for someone smaller.

The bass shaker adds a subtle kick to any explosions, gunshots, or impacts - the effect is similar to turning the sub way up, but without the overwhelming, bass-heavy sound you would end up with. I can now watch movies at a lower volume and still get the impact I would get at reference.

I find that due to the wide armrests, I don't often need to pull out the tray tables. Remotes and drinks comfortable rest at the front of the armrests. Those same wide armrests give excellent storage and we can keep our junk food, extra remotes, and other stuff.

As a side note, when we purchased the set of three Pallisers we also bought two leather Ikea POANG chairs and ottomans to go in the media room. Other than being low, these chairs are awesome! They are light, so normally I have them near the front speakers facing the Pallisers (so I can use the media room as a "guy's living room"), but when we watch a movie with friends we just swing them around. They are extremely comfortable, have great head, back and leg support. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone looking for HT seating on a budget (about $350/butt vs $2700/butt for the Pallisers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha123 View Post

cannot recommend palliser based on my horrible experience with them and their reps.........

i have many compliants about palliser and their reps and dealers.... i ordered 4 palliser home theatre seats with all the options including buttkicker system and LED cup holders and 3000 grade leather... it cost me around $10,000 CDN dollars ... the problems... where to start... first. ordered it early april 2013 and they finally received it mid september 2013..... they said that they ran out of black leather.... how can a firm like this run out of leather?...... LED cup holdersdo not work in one of the chair and some of the chairs were very sweaky to the point that it annoys you to sit in it.... also, the overall workmanship on the seams and leather does not look nearly as good as my stressless sofa ..... also, the buttkicker system does not work because the parts were not shipped and i think there are missing parts too... also they forgot the accessories that we order with it too.... tables and tablet holders......the point is that after paying in full over a month ago none of these problems have been fixed... based on my experience i could not recommend palliser home theatre chairs at all... nor can i recommend their national wholesale organization.... also, they could not care less...

Yamaha, I've been pretty happy with the finishing on all three sets I was sent. That said, I'm not sure it's fair to compare these to the construction of the Ekornes Stressless chairs - at least here in Canada, they are in a very different price league. Our Palliser dealer also is the biggest Stressless dealer in the area, the cost would have been over $4000/butt vs $2700/butt for the Pallisers with electric recline and tray tables. As far as organization, I'm not sure if the issue was with the dealer mis-ordering or Palliser, but I suspect it was the dealer's error both times. At the end of the day, they made up for it and we are happy customers.
post #23 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Liked: 17
How are your Medias holding up? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a |OVOVO| setup.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM

Palliser do not wear well.  After a year and a half ours started tearing and discoloring in several places.

The Palliser seating came with a 5 year warranty.

I contacted the Palliser retailer, their facebook and sent pictures. 

I finally filed a BB complaint and heard from Palliser Corporate.

Again they asked for pictures.  Kept telling me I'd hear something in a week.

Months passed and I kept contacting them and getting back I'll hear something in a week.

Never heard from them.

Like others we loved it when we first got it but now we had to have covers made since

I couldn't see throwing them out which if they hadn't cost so much money we would have.

I put a video on youtube showing them so you can check it out yourself under Palliser Quality.

post #25 of 25 Old 03-22-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majek 60 View Post

We just received our Palliser Elite Power Recline Loveseat from Stargate Cinema yesterday......

We are impressed, used it last night for a couple of hours and looking forward to the weekend on them.

Everything so far seems fine.

Dave was a pleasure to deal with and the customer service was exceptional!

How are your Elites holding up? Looking at getting power Elites in all leather with IOVOOVOI loveseat configuration.

Does your power loveseat have the wired remote or the toggle buttons built into the cushions?

i don't want the wired remote and was told palliser is now using 2 small buttons in the cushion on the Elite and that the wired remote is not used anymore... Can you confirm?

if possible, could you post a photo of the power controls for your Elite loveseat?

thanks!!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page